computer making noises

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I recently bought a new top spec system and it is usually pretty quiet. However, sometimes, quiet randomly it starts making a fair bit of noise when i open an application or an internet browser. It is the sort of noise i got on my oldest system about 5 years ago which sounds like it is straining. I aint getting any sound atm, but then it always randomly donig it again.

its an amd 4400+ x2 processor, thx

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
yes i think it is the hard drive clicking sound, but im not sure why im getting it because its brand new (well it should be). Is it possible that it could be caused by my other hard drive? it is plugged in but i have not actually installed it and set it up yet.

If it is this harddrive click, should i be concerned?

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
ya and that means your data is not far from the grave so I would do what you can to back it up asap before you HDD takes a total crapper...and then get in contact with person or company you bought it from and ask them wtf ?

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
dude a harrdrive click is the click of death and which harddrive is clicking if it's the newone that came with the comp rma it or return it to where you bought it if it's the one you added then your screwed and if you return the comp do not tell them that you added a new harddive or they will that you have voided your warranty ok dude

scoyle

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
The hard disk is the nosiest component that has to do with loading programs, as it is the only one with moving parts (assuming it isn't your cd-rom, that is). Some hard disks are louder than others; it all depends on the manufacturer and specifications of the disk, as well as how it is mounted in your case.

You might want to try some acoustic insulation, something as simple as placing a piece of rubber in between your HDD and the mounting cage should do the trick. The best way is to put a piece over all of your the screw holes, and cut holes in the rubber so the screws fit through. If that doesn't solve the problem, it's either that your HDD is loud, or is faulty.

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
interesting...it seems the sounds only come after i play a game for long time i.e 1-2 hours.

Could it be overheating, or is it just normal if the system has been under pressure.

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
OH CRAP i downloaded a hard drive temp program and it says my new hard drive with NOTHING on it is at 62 degrees and shoudl only be at 50. How can it be overheating when its got nothing on it, Anyway brb im gonna unplug it and see if the sounds stop.

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
OH CRAP i downloaded a hard drive temp program and it says my new hard drive with NOTHING on it is at 62 degrees and shoudl only be at 50. How can it be overheating when its got nothing on it, Anyway brb im gonna unplug it and see if the sounds stop.

unplugged it but i still get the noise. Anyone suggest why it was overheating? could it be because it is ontop of my other one, no gap inbetween?

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
well yea, i would agree with you there. The case seems pretty tacky. Infact, the case is pretty poor but it looks ok so im not too bothered.

Im going to ring the company up tomorrow, complain about the neon lights, tell them about the sound problems im having im gonna ask them if i could return it and see if they will re-test my system. Its been a bloody nightmare. Thanks again luminaris you have been a star helping me! :D

AntiHax0r

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
o.0 most HDDs if not all, newer ones nowadays, don't make the click noise anymore unless is going to die. What I think your issue/maybe not an issue - is your system/cpu fans cranking up the RPM automatically when you get more load on the system..?

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
oh dear, i ran pcmark05 and my system scored very low in most Hard drive tests.

Could this be anything to do with the fact i do not use RAID and my hard disk only has 1 partition(i think). Or knowing my luck, and whatever else that has already gone wrong with my system its gonna pack up ><.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I second and third that question, all I can say is "holy crap!"

By the way, hard drive temp isn't indicitive of quantity of data, they all run at a constant speed all the time. But that is defintaly kinda warm, I've seen SCSI drives hit 75-80 without errors, but I wouldn't recommend it. They should never be more than luke warm to the touch.