Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Hello all. I have a Windows XP Media Center SP1 (all updates) with HP
DeskJet 450 printer connected with parallel connection. The printer can
print fine, but the ToolBox software cannot monitor the printer status
like ink cartridge amounts.

I tried fiddling with bidirectional, ECP, EPP, etc. in BIOS but that
didn't help. Here's what is more interesting. The old EPSON Color Stylus
880 printer with the parallel conncection on the same Toshiba Satellite
P15-S470 can monitor just fine.

I am at a loss why this doesn't work correctly with the HP printer. :(
Note that there are two HP printer connections (LPT1 and IRDA) and then
the Epson one (LPT1 as well).

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Ever watch ants just crawling around? They walk in that single straight line, a long, a long, long
mile of ants. Sometimes they will walk over and pick up their dead friends and carry those around.
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )

On 05/12/2004, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> I tried fiddling with bidirectional, ECP, EPP, etc. in BIOS but that
> didn't help. Here's what is more interesting. The old EPSON Color
> Stylus 880 printer with the parallel conncection on the same Toshiba
> Satellite P15-S470 can monitor just fine.

I've usally found that problems of this nature have been due to the
printer cable. Even if you used the same cable for both printers, it
could be that the HP printer is a bit more fussy.

--
Simon Elliott http://www.ctsn.co.uk

Simon Elliott <Simon at ctsn.co.uk> wrote:
> On 05/12/2004, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> > I tried fiddling with bidirectional, ECP, EPP, etc. in BIOS but that
> > didn't help. Here's what is more interesting. The old EPSON Color
> > Stylus 880 printer with the parallel conncection on the same Toshiba
> > Satellite P15-S470 can monitor just fine.

> I've usally found that problems of this nature have been due to the
> printer cable. Even if you used the same cable for both printers, it
> could be that the HP printer is a bit more fussy.

So, how do I determine if it is good or not? I know the cable is a bit
old.
--
"At high tide the fish eat ants; at low tide the ants eat fish." --Thai Proverb
/\___/\

ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> Simon Elliott <Simon at ctsn.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On 05/12/2004, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
>>
>>>I tried fiddling with bidirectional, ECP, EPP, etc. in BIOS but that
>>>didn't help. Here's what is more interesting. The old EPSON Color
>>>Stylus 880 printer with the parallel conncection on the same Toshiba
>>>Satellite P15-S470 can monitor just fine.
>

>>I've usally found that problems of this nature have been due to the
>>printer cable. Even if you used the same cable for both printers, it
>>could be that the HP printer is a bit more fussy.
>

> So, how do I determine if it is good or not? I know the cable is a bit
> old.

It is the printer driver. Your printer is old and hp didn't
update all the printer drivers for XP. I have an hp970, it
works fine but the ink monitor won't on XP. The problem was
widely discussed when XP came out. The hp ink monitor is
really a wild estimate anyway, so neither of us has lost much.