That goofy paperclip man, and other annoyances of XP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

More questions, gang. I appreciate all the help so far, and I am on the
road to guru-hood.

1 - How in the world do you get rid of that paperclip man and the other
asinine cartoon Microsoft characters?

2 - After booting to desktop, there's a balloon text in the bottom right
corner telling me the same things over and over. Something's been hidden,
etc.... Is there any way to customize it so that this kind of stuff doesn't
come up ever time?

Thanks again!!

Fred
15 answers Last reply
More about that goofy paperclip annoyances
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    To disable balloon tips, go here and then to item #11.. next time that you
    see Kelly, get down on your knees and give thanks.. :) .. and don't get any
    other ideas :) ..

    'Clippie' has been a friend to many, his antics a constant source of
    laughter and merriment, but if you really do want to fire him, open Word and
    go to help - hide the assistant..

    "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    > More questions, gang. I appreciate all the help so far, and I am on the
    > road to guru-hood.
    >
    > 1 - How in the world do you get rid of that paperclip man and the other
    > asinine cartoon Microsoft characters?
    >
    > 2 - After booting to desktop, there's a balloon text in the bottom right
    > corner telling me the same things over and over. Something's been hidden,
    > etc.... Is there any way to customize it so that this kind of stuff
    > doesn't
    > come up ever time?
    >
    > Thanks again!!
    >
    > Fred

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Alex Quant" <alexqspam@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    > > More questions, gang. I appreciate all the help so far, and I am on the
    > > road to guru-hood.
    > >
    > > 1 - How in the world do you get rid of that paperclip man and the other
    > > asinine cartoon Microsoft characters?
    > >
    > > 2 - After booting to desktop, there's a balloon text in the bottom right
    > > corner telling me the same things over and over. Something's been
    hidden,
    > > etc.... Is there any way to customize it so that this kind of stuff
    > doesn't
    > > come up ever time?
    > >
    > > Thanks again!!
    >
    > Uninstall the application - that will cure your problem. Next, step away
    > from the computer and get a clue.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > AlexQ

    That's the thing about the internet, even idiots like AlexQ have access...
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Alex Quant" <alexqspam@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    [snip]

    | Uninstall the application - that will cure your problem. Next, step away
    | from the computer and get a clue.
    |
    | HTH,
    |
    | AlexQ
    |
    | ~ Reply To valid ~

    Please post to is alt.windows-os.xp They will appreciate your brand of
    humour ;-)

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    Clippy and the others are part of Microsoft Office, NOT part of Microsoft
    Windows. Right click on him (or his friends) and you can select the option
    to turn them off.
    www.coribright.com

    "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    > More questions, gang. I appreciate all the help so far, and I am on the
    > road to guru-hood.
    >
    > 1 - How in the world do you get rid of that paperclip man and the other
    > asinine cartoon Microsoft characters?
    >
    > 2 - After booting to desktop, there's a balloon text in the bottom right
    > corner telling me the same things over and over. Something's been hidden,
    > etc.... Is there any way to customize it so that this kind of stuff
    > doesn't
    > come up ever time?
    >
    > Thanks again!!
    >
    > Fred

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Mike H" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > To disable balloon tips, go here and then to item #11.. next time that you
    > see Kelly, get down on your knees and give thanks.. :) .. and don't get
    > any other ideas :) ..
    >
    > 'Clippie' has been a friend to many, his antics a constant source of
    > laughter and merriment, but if you really do want to fire him, open Word
    > and go to help - hide the assistant..
    >

    > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    >> More questions, gang. I appreciate all the help so far, and I am on the
    >> road to guru-hood.
    >>
    >> 1 - How in the world do you get rid of that paperclip man and the other
    >> asinine cartoon Microsoft characters?
    >>
    >> 2 - After booting to desktop, there's a balloon text in the bottom right
    >> corner telling me the same things over and over. Something's been hidden,
    >> etc.... Is there any way to customize it so that this kind of stuff
    >> doesn't
    >> come up ever time?
    >>
    >> Thanks again!!
    >>
    >> Fred

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Fred wrote:

    > More questions, gang. I appreciate all the help so far, and I am on the
    > road to guru-hood.
    >
    > 1 - How in the world do you get rid of that paperclip man and the other
    > asinine cartoon Microsoft characters?
    >
    > 2 - After booting to desktop, there's a balloon text in the bottom right
    > corner telling me the same things over and over. Something's been hidden,
    > etc.... Is there any way to customize it so that this kind of stuff doesn't
    > come up ever time?

    And, once again, Fred, it's not the OS.

    Try Microsoft Office.

    Notan
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Fred wrote:
    > More questions, gang. I appreciate all the help so far, and I am on the
    > road to guru-hood.
    >
    > 1 - How in the world do you get rid of that paperclip man and the other
    > asinine cartoon Microsoft characters?
    >
    > 2 - After booting to desktop, there's a balloon text in the bottom right
    > corner telling me the same things over and over. Something's been hidden,
    > etc.... Is there any way to customize it so that this kind of stuff doesn't
    > come up ever time?
    >
    > Thanks again!!
    >
    > Fred

    Have you looked at Microsoft's TweakUI?
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Michael W. Ryder" wrote:

    > Fred wrote:
    > > More questions, gang. I appreciate all the help so far, and I am on the
    > > road to guru-hood.
    > >
    > > 1 - How in the world do you get rid of that paperclip man and the other
    > > asinine cartoon Microsoft characters?
    > >
    > > 2 - After booting to desktop, there's a balloon text in the bottom right
    > > corner telling me the same things over and over. Something's been hidden,
    > > etc.... Is there any way to customize it so that this kind of stuff doesn't
    > > come up ever time?
    > >
    > > Thanks again!!
    > >
    > > Fred
    > >

    > Have you looked at Microsoft's TweakUI?

    Which might be helpful if it was an XP feature.

    It's not.

    Once again, it belongs to Microsoft Office.

    Notan
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Notan wrote:

    > "Michael W. Ryder" wrote:
    >
    >>Fred wrote:
    >>
    >>>More questions, gang. I appreciate all the help so far, and I am on the
    >>>road to guru-hood.
    >>>
    >>>1 - How in the world do you get rid of that paperclip man and the other
    >>>asinine cartoon Microsoft characters?
    >>>
    >>>2 - After booting to desktop, there's a balloon text in the bottom right
    >>>corner telling me the same things over and over. Something's been hidden,
    >>>etc.... Is there any way to customize it so that this kind of stuff doesn't
    >>>come up ever time?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks again!!
    >>>
    >>>Fred
    >>>

    >>Have you looked at Microsoft's TweakUI?
    >

    > Which might be helpful if it was an XP feature.
    >
    > It's not.
    >
    > Once again, it belongs to Microsoft Office.
    >
    > Notan

    The balloon tips he complained about are Not part of Microsoft Office,
    they are part of the OS.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Michael W. Ryder" wrote:

    > Notan wrote:

    > >>Have you looked at Microsoft's TweakUI?
    > >

    > > Which might be helpful if it was an XP feature.
    > >
    > > It's not.
    > >
    > > Once again, it belongs to Microsoft Office.
    > >
    > > Notan
    >
    > The balloon tips he complained about are Not part of Microsoft Office,
    > they are part of the OS.

    You're right. My mistake. I'm fixated on that damn little paperclip,
    aka, "Clippy."

    Notan
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Moron.

    "Alex Quant" <alexqspam@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
    > > More questions, gang. I appreciate all the help so far, and I am on the
    > > road to guru-hood.
    > >
    > > 1 - How in the world do you get rid of that paperclip man and the other
    > > asinine cartoon Microsoft characters?
    > >
    > > 2 - After booting to desktop, there's a balloon text in the bottom right
    > > corner telling me the same things over and over. Something's been
    hidden,
    > > etc.... Is there any way to customize it so that this kind of stuff
    > doesn't
    > > come up ever time?
    > >
    > > Thanks again!!
    >
    > Uninstall the application - that will cure your problem. Next, step away
    > from the computer and get a clue.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > AlexQ
    >
    > ~ Reply To valid ~

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Alex the dufus writes

    > Please post to is alt.windows-os.xp They will appreciate your brand of
    > humour ;-)

    Maybe you should post to alt.alex.bites. B^)
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Yes, only for Win98. Does it work for XPee?

    "Michael W. Ryder" <mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Fred wrote:
    > > More questions, gang. I appreciate all the help so far, and I am on the
    > > road to guru-hood.
    > >
    > > 1 - How in the world do you get rid of that paperclip man and the other
    > > asinine cartoon Microsoft characters?
    > >
    > > 2 - After booting to desktop, there's a balloon text in the bottom right
    > > corner telling me the same things over and over. Something's been
    hidden,
    > > etc.... Is there any way to customize it so that this kind of stuff
    doesn't
    > > come up ever time?
    > >
    > > Thanks again!!
    > >
    > > Fred
    > >

    > Have you looked at Microsoft's TweakUI?
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Geez.... another guy with time on his hands.

    > "Michael W. Ryder" wrote:
    > >
    > > Fred wrote:
    > > > More questions, gang. I appreciate all the help so far, and I am on
    the
    > > > road to guru-hood.
    > > >
    > > > 1 - How in the world do you get rid of that paperclip man and the
    other
    > > > asinine cartoon Microsoft characters?
    > > >
    > > > 2 - After booting to desktop, there's a balloon text in the bottom
    right
    > > > corner telling me the same things over and over. Something's been
    hidden,
    > > > etc.... Is there any way to customize it so that this kind of stuff
    doesn't
    > > > come up ever time?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks again!!
    > > >
    > > > Fred
    > > >

    > > Have you looked at Microsoft's TweakUI?
    >
    > Which might be helpful if it was an XP feature.
    >
    > It's not.
    >
    > Once again, it belongs to Microsoft Office.
    >
    > Notan
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Fred wrote:
    > Yes, only for Win98. Does it work for XPee?

    Yes, it is part of the PowerToys suite available from them.

    > "Michael W. Ryder" <mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Fred wrote:
    >>
    >>>More questions, gang. I appreciate all the help so far, and I am on the
    >>>road to guru-hood.
    >>>
    >>>1 - How in the world do you get rid of that paperclip man and the other
    >>>asinine cartoon Microsoft characters?
    >>>
    >>>2 - After booting to desktop, there's a balloon text in the bottom right
    >>>corner telling me the same things over and over. Something's been
    >
    > hidden,
    >
    >>>etc.... Is there any way to customize it so that this kind of stuff
    >
    > doesn't
    >
    >>>come up ever time?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks again!!
    >>>
    >>>Fred