whats the going rate for a fully working atari quantum?

RobR

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2004

I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
$4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
fetching that much. The original allophone boards
which are so prone to failure were replaced years
ago with wells gardner and have been working
fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
condition. Thanks!

Someone was trying to sell a nice working one about 2 months ago for
$2500 and never sold it.

Did you save the Amplifone boards, tube and yoke? They are better
quality (and worth more) than the WG6100.

Probably worth more with the Amplifone boards intact.

Where are you located?

--
-Steve P.

All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus

"RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
> ago with wells gardner and have been working
> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
> condition. Thanks!

RobR

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2004

After going through 2 sets of very expensive amplifones
and repairing them a few times and being unable to source
them any longer (I think I got the last set NECO had),
someone from this group came out to my place and got
it running with the WG setup (I traded him a non working
Star Wars and a Tron that I didn't have room for any longer).
It might be worth more with the amplifones, but it's a hell of
a lot more reliable with the WG :). No, I don't have the
original boards, they had been through hell and back.

I'm in northeast MA.

"Steve Prendergast" <stevepren-newsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Probably worth more with the Amplifone boards intact.
>
> Where are you located?
>
> --
> -Steve P.
>
> All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus
>
> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
>> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
>> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
>> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
>> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
>> ago with wells gardner and have been working
>> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
>> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
>> condition. Thanks!

Hey Rob,

Good to here that's still working. I seem to recall that the deflection
board was good but the shorted tube toasted the Hi-V xfmr. I've
got those working in my Quantum now, still have the SW too. Did
I ever tell you what I found in the Tron?

Dave

> After going through 2 sets of very expensive amplifones
> and repairing them a few times and being unable to source
> them any longer (I think I got the last set NECO had),
> someone from this group came out to my place and got
> it running with the WG setup (I traded him a non working
> Star Wars and a Tron that I didn't have room for any longer).
> It might be worth more with the amplifones, but it's a hell of
> a lot more reliable with the WG :). No, I don't have the
> original boards, they had been through hell and back.
>
> I'm in northeast MA.

Prok

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003

Don't get your leg pulled.. Quantums sell easily for 3k + in good shape,
that's a fact.. Perhaps not to RGVAC'ers, but they DO sell for that.

/b

"RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
> ago with wells gardner and have been working
> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
> condition. Thanks!

I am the one selling the Quantum for $2,500. Mine does have the
Amplifone and has been working perfectly since the day I got it. The
other posters are right though. They do go for much higher than I am
asking, however, you have to find the right person at the right time.
I still haven't found that person.....and the Quantum still remains for
sale as I have another kid on the way and must clear out my
collection!!!

Jon

I agree with Steve here - sure, you *might* find someone willing to
spend the money - but you might be waiting for quite awhile for that to
happen. If you can afford to sit on it until someone decides to take
you up on the asking price, go for it. Guys list games on Ebay all day
long at unrealistic (to the collectors) prices in hopes of finding that
*one* person that is willing to pay whatever the price is for so and so
game. Most of those games if you notice are continuously relisted
because the seller can't seem to find that *one* person that they need.
This was just discussed the other day in RGVAC - search apollo.com (or
whatever his Ebay name is).

There are currently a number of nice "collectable" games available that
just have not sold for their asking prices - the market isn't there
anymore - guys who wanted the special cabinets or were willing to spend
high $$$ for a particular title already got their games and there
aren't many new players stepping up to the plate (no more DOT COM money
floating around maybe). Several years ago guys would have been
fighting one another to buy them for the advertised prices, but those
days are far and few. Example: Flippers.com has a fairly nice mini
Robotron that's been for sale for at least a year at $1995. Then
there's that proto mini Robotron that has the $5-6000 asking price on
it - far as I know, it's STILL unsold. Sure, if I hit the lotto I
might snag it, but that's a long shot at best.

I would say the collector market today would see a $1500-1800 sale
price - maybe a tad lower for this particular specimen since the
Amplifone is AWOL.

Face it, MAME and the fall of the dot com boom are having their impact
on game collecting. The one example of a "rare" game selling recently
and going for high $$ was the Ebay Aztarac. I don't recall anything
else "rare" selling for high $$$... anyone?

Steve P.

> so that makes the going rate LESS then $2500... I can't see how you can
argue otherwise...

That may make Jon's particular Quantum worth 2500 (or less) in his
area, but it is not indicative of the market for Quantums in general.

Location, location, location. If it were in a different area or a
different coast, the price may easily be higher. I can personally tell
you of at least 2 Quantums that didn't sell because the buyer was not
able to see the machine personally. In addition, a lot of Q's don't
sell because people don't want to risk shipping it. Have the buyer and
seller in the roughly the same location and prices can be much higher
than 2500.

L.

In rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace RobR <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
: After going through 2 sets of very expensive amplifones
: and repairing them a few times and being unable to source
: them any longer (I think I got the last set NECO had),
: someone from this group came out to my place and got
: it running with the WG setup (I traded him a non working
: Star Wars and a Tron that I didn't have room for any longer).
: It might be worth more with the amplifones, but it's a hell of
: a lot more reliable with the WG :). No, I don't have the
: original boards, they had been through hell and back.
:
: I'm in northeast MA.

NECO? That's your problem.

I've never had any problems with my amplifones.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

Jeffrey Ohler wrote:
> I bought a Q*Bert from Jon last year and got to check out his Quantum. A
> very nice person to do arcade business with by the way. His Quantum game is
> a nice one. I remember also seeing James Marous' collection of vector
> games, he had a mint Quantum along with a bunch of other classics...and I do
> believe Rob Winner in Cleveland had one... just a bit of name dropping from
> the Ghosts of Arcade Collecting's Past.

Rob Winner had like 5 Quantums (IIRC) that he traded to Bob Wood in FL
for a bunch of Ms. Pacs back in like '97. I remember seeing the pics
of his dining room filled with Quantums.

Steve P.

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

ebay, no reserve. that will give you the current market value.
Not nearly as much $ as some would think.
IMO, $3000 was top dollar for that game.
I would say under $2000 somewhere now.

Troy,

"RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
> ago with wells gardner and have been working
> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
> condition. Thanks!

" Did I ever tell you what I found in the Tron?"

Jimmy Hoffa?

"David Fish" <dfish_1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hey Rob,
>
> Good to here that's still working. I seem to recall that the deflection
> board was good but the shorted tube toasted the Hi-V xfmr. I've
> got those working in my Quantum now, still have the SW too. Did
> I ever tell you what I found in the Tron?
>
> Dave
>
> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> After going through 2 sets of very expensive amplifones
>> and repairing them a few times and being unable to source
>> them any longer (I think I got the last set NECO had),
>> someone from this group came out to my place and got
>> it running with the WG setup (I traded him a non working
>> Star Wars and a Tron that I didn't have room for any longer).
>> It might be worth more with the amplifones, but it's a hell of
>> a lot more reliable with the WG :). No, I don't have the
>> original boards, they had been through hell and back.
>>
>> I'm in northeast MA.

The problem is finding someone who'll actually PAY 3k+ for it... yes, it's
possible, and there are people who, when cornered at the right time, would
certainly be willing to pay that much...

problem is finding them...

hard to justify, unless you're a "serious" collector, paying 3k+ for a
machine that you could emulate in mame... not to start a bitch war, but that
IS the way the common folk seem to be acting...

steve

"prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Don't get your leg pulled.. Quantums sell easily for 3k + in good shape,
> that's a fact.. Perhaps not to RGVAC'ers, but they DO sell for that.
>
> /b
>

> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
>> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
>> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
>> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
>> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
>> ago with wells gardner and have been working
>> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
>> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
>> condition. Thanks!

Prok

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003

So I take it you've owned one and considered selling it? Until you have,
you're just guessing and making assumptions.

/b

"Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
> The problem is finding someone who'll actually PAY 3k+ for it... yes, it's
> possible, and there are people who, when cornered at the right time, would
> certainly be willing to pay that much...
>
> problem is finding them...
>
> hard to justify, unless you're a "serious" collector, paying 3k+ for a
> machine that you could emulate in mame... not to start a bitch war, but
> that IS the way the common folk seem to be acting...
>
> steve
>
> "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Don't get your leg pulled.. Quantums sell easily for 3k + in good shape,
>> that's a fact.. Perhaps not to RGVAC'ers, but they DO sell for that.
>>
>> /b
>>

>> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
>>> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
>>> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
>>> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
>>> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
>>> ago with wells gardner and have been working
>>> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
>>> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
>>> condition. Thanks!

funny thing is I prefer that game in mame. I like playing it using the
mouse for control (as opposed to a trackball).

I am sure to people that played it back in the day this is horrible way to
play.... oh well

--
Mickster

Visit my website and see my arcade!!

http://mickster.freeservers.com

"Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
> The problem is finding someone who'll actually PAY 3k+ for it... yes, it's
> possible, and there are people who, when cornered at the right time, would
> certainly be willing to pay that much...
>
> problem is finding them...
>
> hard to justify, unless you're a "serious" collector, paying 3k+ for a
> machine that you could emulate in mame... not to start a bitch war, but
> that IS the way the common folk seem to be acting...
>
> steve
>
> "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Don't get your leg pulled.. Quantums sell easily for 3k + in good shape,
>> that's a fact.. Perhaps not to RGVAC'ers, but they DO sell for that.
>>
>> /b
>>

>> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a fully working Quantum, looking around the
>>> net I've seen these things advertised for as much as
>>> $4000, but I have no idea if they are actually
>>> fetching that much. The original allophone boards
>>> which are so prone to failure were replaced years
>>> ago with wells gardner and have been working
>>> fine since. I'll post pics when I can (it's
>>> at a friends house) but I'd say it's in very good
>>> condition. Thanks!

Wise words. If you ever get stuck with it, you won't mind that badly.
I'm the same way with any collectable.

-isaac

Well, another thing I can tell you is this: I know of two Quantums in
the Ca area that have sold for 3k plus in the last year. Granted, past
performance isn't indicative of future prices, but it wasn't in the
newsgroup and it wasn't eBay. The collectors market still much more
than those two sources.

L.

I wouldn't think you would need to own one to know that rare game values are
dropping fast.

At the rate things are going, all vids will be back to 1990 prices soon
(probably within 3 years).

I know a collector that is trying to sell a duramold (converted) and can't
find anyone that even wants it. I am sure that wasn't the case 3 years
ago.

--

> So I take it you've owned one and considered selling it? Until you have,
> you're just guessing and making assumptions.
>
> /b
>
> "Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> The problem is finding someone who'll actually PAY 3k+ for it... yes,
>> it's possible, and there are people who, when cornered at the right time,
>> would certainly be willing to pay that much...
>>
>> problem is finding them...
>>
>> hard to justify, unless you're a "serious" collector, paying 3k+ for a
>> machine that you could emulate in mame... not to start a bitch war, but
>> that IS the way the common folk seem to be acting...
>>
>> steve
>>
>> "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Don't get your leg pulled.. Quantums sell easily for 3k + in good shape,
>>> that's a fact.. Perhaps not to RGVAC'ers, but they DO sell for that.
>>>
>>> /b
>>>

>>> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

RobR

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2004

"David Fish" <dfish_1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hey Rob,
>
> Good to here that's still working. I seem to recall that the deflection
> board was good but the shorted tube toasted the Hi-V xfmr. I've
> got those working in my Quantum now, still have the SW too. Did
> I ever tell you what I found in the Tron?
>
> Dave
>
> "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> After going through 2 sets of very expensive amplifones
>> and repairing them a few times and being unable to source
>> them any longer (I think I got the last set NECO had),
>> someone from this group came out to my place and got
>> it running with the WG setup (I traded him a non working
>> Star Wars and a Tron that I didn't have room for any longer).
>> It might be worth more with the amplifones, but it's a hell of
>> a lot more reliable with the WG :). No, I don't have the
>> original boards, they had been through hell and back.
>>
>> I'm in northeast MA.

Hi Dave!!! No, you never did tell me what you
found in Tron (and it better not be a winning
lottery ticket :)). Glad to hear you scored a
Quantum too.

Here's an option (and I'm being over the top on this):

Please don't flame or kill me for this, but if you really want to get
your 2500 out of this game, part it out. Q is a game where the sum of
the parts is equal the whole.

Control Panel 250
Working Board 650
Cab 700
Marquee 100
Monitor 600
Harness, PS, AR 100

The prices for those parts is NOT unreasonable I guarantee you that.

Boom! close to 2500

End of Discussion :)

L.

RobR

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2004

You know what, I think I may have an idea what you found
in the Tron.... I used to hide stuff in my games when I lived
at home with the parents :).