Onboard sound, connection problem?

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Hi, i have the asus a8n-deluxe sli motherboard and i am using onboard sound. There are 6 audio jacks and they all work except the 'line out' one. Whenever i plug my speakers into that one and select the right settings (ie. desktop speakers, 2CH) It always comes up with some error : http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7853/df3zl.jpg

Now, ive tried 2 different speakers, so this leaves me with 2 possible reasons.

1- It is still software related, there is some program interefering with my sound
2- I think most likely it is some hardware problem. I am a total noob with hardware, are there any cables that you have to fit to connect the sound jacks which may have gotten lose? Im totally confused, help me pls :p

thx

ps - i have downloaded the latest drivers as well.

sturm

Splendid
Check both the windows settings and the software that came with the computer. Could be a conflict there.

Have you tried uninstalling the drivers and the sound card from device manager? Let windows re-detect it and install the new drivers.

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
ive looked for conflicts but have not been able to find any. I will try uninstalling them and doing what you said after i watch the footie :p.

thx for help mate.

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
i uninstalled the drivers and ran the new hardware wizard. I put my motherboard driver CD in it installed automatically...still no sound =(

I can get sound if i plug my speakers into the front of my PC... in the extra headphones socket.

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
do u think my FP_AUDIO jumpers may have been set up incorrectly? thats my best guess, but i have no idea how to fix them. Is it safe to use trial and error? or could i fuck something up.

sturm

Splendid
Try unplugging any audio cables you have from the front and see what happens. Double check the manual to make sure you have them right when you plug them back in.