Can a faulty PS cause memory erros?

Forlorn

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I'm working on a computer for a friend due to random reboots and CTDs while playing games. The error given when it doesn't reboot is a memory leak. I already tried replacing the RAM and that didn't help. The only other things I can come up with are either a faulty PS or the memory on the video card went bad. Before I tell them that they need a new video card, what are the chances that this could be caused by a fautly PS?

I haven't had time to try swapping it out with a PS that I know works due to work/school. I was just hoping for some insight from you guys as to whether or not this could potentially be the problem.

edit: It is only doing this when the system is stressed due to gaming.

Forlorn

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Athlon XP 2800+ Barton
Antec 400w PSU
GeForce 5700
WD 120gig HD
1gig corsair xmx pc3200 (2x512)

The PSU should be more than enough for the system.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Up to date drivers and bios?

I thinking the same with faulty ram, however you did mention that you have replaced the ram with a good one right.

As for the ram, run a memtest86 and see if it's registering any errors.

For the graphics card, run it on a good pc and see if it's giving the same problem.

I don't believe it's your psu, given the fact that the error states a memory leak.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Its possible that the RAM could be effected by a bad PSU - fluctuating voltages can cause all kinds of issues. Heck a bad PSU usually has random issues, but the lack of issues during normal operation makes me hesitate to call bad PSU!
400W should be plenty for that system, you are right.

I'm going to assume you looked into overheating (memory leak probably would not result from that).

Is the computer newly built? Just reformatted?
What motherboard is it? How long ago did this start happening? Was the system good before that?

Forlorn

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Heat's not the problem. I already checked into that (random reboots made that my first priority).

He told me last night that this started happening back in august when there was a problem with the circuitry in his house. :/ He wasn't using a surge protector or anything, so maybe the psu is shot, and the reason it freaks out during gaming because there is stress on the system and it requires more power?

I don't know how large of a can of worms he just opened by telling me that, but I think I'm going to tell him to go pay someone to do it (i'm doing this as a volunteer).

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
If that's the case.... make him get a surge protector now! :p He's lucky the PSU didn't blow - I've seen that one...

I'd definitely try a different PSU in that case. Antec's pretty good, so I think the PSU would take the hit before the motherboard. But its kind of hard to say if he was getting a bunch of power psikes or something. If a new PSU doesn't fix it, I'd bail out of 'volunteer' mode because getting this done is going to require alot of time. You could also get a PSU tester and check the voltages.

Worst case scenario is that a power spike messed up his motherboard or RAM or something... or everything :? You'd probably have to replace components one at a time and test.... and then you might find out its 2 components that are bad and yeah... messy.

G

I suspect power supply.

A story: I had an Antec True Power (the first version) 550W and was experiencing similar issues. Long story short: the shop and I kept handing this thing back and forth as they warranty replaced just about every part in the thing without ever fixing the problem or suspecting the power supply. One day a smart tech came in and bypassed my big expensive Antec with some cheap chinese supply and boom the thing was stable. I kind of felt bad after all the shop had replaced my final repair bill came to $50 labor plus around $80 for the new 600W Xion that I replaced the Antec with.

Moral: Big expensive supplies can and do fail and in the world of consumer electronics nothing is a sure thing. I and the shop made the bad assumption that my problems just couldn't possibly be related to the beautiful and perfect golden boy Antec supply. We were wrong and I and they lost alot of time troubleshooting, and they also lost a bit of cash as well.