Ontario add-on scenery upset my FS9

I installed the add-on scenery for Southern Ontario. I did everything
as the instructions said to. After installing though I found that
there was no improvement to the scenery and obvious things (major
bridges) did not appear. Not only that but my game became irratic.
Flight became jumpy as though there was a memory problem and the ATC
and my pilot voice started stuttering.

In dispair I finally uninstalled and re-installed FS9. All was well
again. I am now a little hesitant about installing add-ons for fear it
may cause my game to degrade again. Is this common?

Does this happen when adding new aircraft?

I also picked up FS3 (WWII in Europe). The planes have no gauges or
maps. Big dissappointment. Can the add-on planes with guages be used
in this game or is that not an option. If not, what use is it to have
say a Hurricane fighter in FS9 when you can't use the guns? Is it for
the flying experience or can I actually go on a shooting spree and
take out civil aircraft? :)

I am trying new aircraft and am blown away with the Beech Baron
aircraft. What a thrill after flying a Cessna. Only problem though is
very limited forward view. Any chance I can get a seat cushion to
allow me to sit up higher? :)

Regards,
Paul

Use SHIFT-ENTER for the 'seat cushion' (raise viewpoint), and
SHIFT-BACKSPACE to go back (lower viewpoint). Consider using Active Camera
for additional viewing, such as inside the cockpits and cabins of aircraft
such as the Flight One Cessna 310 which include virtual cabin and cockpit
features.

Jim Kaye
"Paganguy" <psiwy@mountaincable.net> wrote in message
>I installed the add-on scenery for Southern Ontario. I did everything
> as the instructions said to. After installing though I found that
> there was no improvement to the scenery and obvious things (major
> bridges) did not appear. Not only that but my game became irratic.
> Flight became jumpy as though there was a memory problem and the ATC
> and my pilot voice started stuttering.
>
> In dispair I finally uninstalled and re-installed FS9. All was well
> again. I am now a little hesitant about installing add-ons for fear it
> may cause my game to degrade again. Is this common?
>
> Does this happen when adding new aircraft?
>
> I also picked up FS3 (WWII in Europe). The planes have no gauges or
> maps. Big dissappointment. Can the add-on planes with guages be used
> in this game or is that not an option. If not, what use is it to have
> say a Hurricane fighter in FS9 when you can't use the guns? Is it for
> the flying experience or can I actually go on a shooting spree and
> take out civil aircraft? :)
>
> I am trying new aircraft and am blown away with the Beech Baron
> aircraft. What a thrill after flying a Cessna. Only problem though is
> very limited forward view. Any chance I can get a seat cushion to
> allow me to sit up higher? :)
>
> Regards,
> Paul

I also added the Ontario scenery . The Island airport, Downsview all looked
good.
Except I started to get some stuttering on my frame rates. It would pause
many times to load
I do not know what. I finally took it off my machine

"Paganguy" <psiwy@mountaincable.net> wrote in message
>I installed the add-on scenery for Southern Ontario. I did everything
> as the instructions said to. After installing though I found that
> there was no improvement to the scenery and obvious things (major
> bridges) did not appear. Not only that but my game became irratic.
> Flight became jumpy as though there was a memory problem and the ATC
> and my pilot voice started stuttering.
>
> In dispair I finally uninstalled and re-installed FS9. All was well
> again. I am now a little hesitant about installing add-ons for fear it
> may cause my game to degrade again. Is this common?
>
> Does this happen when adding new aircraft?
>
> I also picked up FS3 (WWII in Europe). The planes have no gauges or
> maps. Big dissappointment. Can the add-on planes with guages be used
> in this game or is that not an option. If not, what use is it to have
> say a Hurricane fighter in FS9 when you can't use the guns? Is it for
> the flying experience or can I actually go on a shooting spree and
> take out civil aircraft? :)
>
> I am trying new aircraft and am blown away with the Beech Baron
> aircraft. What a thrill after flying a Cessna. Only problem though is
> very limited forward view. Any chance I can get a seat cushion to
> allow me to sit up higher? :)
>
> Regards,
> Paul

Thanks for the seat height tip Jim. This will help my perspective.
I have used the active camera (that is where you can view the entire
cockpit and different viewpoints using the "hat" button isn't it?). I
much prefer that veiw. The additional height will make it even better.

Thanks for your help!

Paul

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:33:29 -0700, "James H. Kaye"
<JKaye_1@charter.net> wrote:

>Use SHIFT-ENTER for the 'seat cushion' (raise viewpoint), and
>SHIFT-BACKSPACE to go back (lower viewpoint). Consider using Active Camera
>for additional viewing, such as inside the cockpits and cabins of aircraft
>such as the Flight One Cessna 310 which include virtual cabin and cockpit
>features.
>
>Jim Kaye
>"Paganguy" <psiwy@mountaincable.net> wrote in message
>>I installed the add-on scenery for Southern Ontario. I did everything
>> as the instructions said to. After installing though I found that
>> there was no improvement to the scenery and obvious things (major
>> bridges) did not appear. Not only that but my game became irratic.
>> Flight became jumpy as though there was a memory problem and the ATC
>> and my pilot voice started stuttering.
>>
>> In dispair I finally uninstalled and re-installed FS9. All was well
>> again. I am now a little hesitant about installing add-ons for fear it
>> may cause my game to degrade again. Is this common?
>>
>> Does this happen when adding new aircraft?
>>
>> I also picked up FS3 (WWII in Europe). The planes have no gauges or
>> maps. Big dissappointment. Can the add-on planes with guages be used
>> in this game or is that not an option. If not, what use is it to have
>> say a Hurricane fighter in FS9 when you can't use the guns? Is it for
>> the flying experience or can I actually go on a shooting spree and
>> take out civil aircraft? :)
>>
>> I am trying new aircraft and am blown away with the Beech Baron
>> aircraft. What a thrill after flying a Cessna. Only problem though is
>> very limited forward view. Any chance I can get a seat cushion to
>> allow me to sit up higher? :)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Paul

Glad to see it wasn't just me. I was certain I had followed directions
thoroughly. I even rechecked everything a half dozen times. I don't
underestimate the difficulty in writing software but I would have
thought something would be pretty free of problems before presenting
it for others to use. Something like that can cause a lot of grief for
what it takes to put things back to normal on your machine.

Paul

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 06:01:12 -0400, "Anthony Acri" <aacri@rogers.com>
wrote:

>I also added the Ontario scenery . The Island airport, Downsview all looked
>good.
>Except I started to get some stuttering on my frame rates. It would pause
>many times to load
>I do not know what. I finally took it off my machine
>

>"Paganguy" <psiwy@mountaincable.net> wrote in message
>>I installed the add-on scenery for Southern Ontario. I did everything
>> as the instructions said to. After installing though I found that
>> there was no improvement to the scenery and obvious things (major
>> bridges) did not appear. Not only that but my game became irratic.
>> Flight became jumpy as though there was a memory problem and the ATC
>> and my pilot voice started stuttering.
>>
>> In dispair I finally uninstalled and re-installed FS9. All was well
>> again. I am now a little hesitant about installing add-ons for fear it
>> may cause my game to degrade again. Is this common?
>>
>> Does this happen when adding new aircraft?
>>
>> I also picked up FS3 (WWII in Europe). The planes have no gauges or
>> maps. Big dissappointment. Can the add-on planes with guages be used
>> in this game or is that not an option. If not, what use is it to have
>> say a Hurricane fighter in FS9 when you can't use the guns? Is it for
>> the flying experience or can I actually go on a shooting spree and
>> take out civil aircraft? :)
>>
>> I am trying new aircraft and am blown away with the Beech Baron
>> aircraft. What a thrill after flying a Cessna. Only problem though is
>> very limited forward view. Any chance I can get a seat cushion to
>> allow me to sit up higher? :)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Paul

Paul,
Sorry to hear you have had some problems. FS9 is particularly good and
stable when coping with add-ons. It has to be. I must have about 200 add-ons
both scenery and aircraft as well at utilities. I have had virtually no
troubles and certainly nothing serious. The difficulty is that Microsoft
cannot cater for every unique setup made by computer users.

You will probably find that you have some small difference from the norm
which can be easily fixed, like a driver update or a piece of spyware or
malware which caused you no trouble until you installed FS9. I would upgrade
all your video and audio drivers and install the free Spybot, AdAware and
Microsoft AntiSpyware beta.
All of these are excellent and cost nothing. I also use Registry Mechanic
which is payware but useful.

Keep contacting this NG because there are people here who have been through
it all, and you will certainly get help. I strongly advise that you spend
some time looking through the FS9 files and path systems just to familiarise
yourself with the setup. Find out where the scenery is kept and where the
aircraft go. Look inside some aircraft folders to check what is in there and
so on. It will do no harm but can teach you a lot.
Good luck!

--
Cheers,

Quilly

"Anthony Acri" <aacri@rogers.com> wrote in message
>I also added the Ontario scenery . The Island airport, Downsview all
>looked good.
> Except I started to get some stuttering on my frame rates. It would pause
> many times to load
> I do not know what. I finally took it off my machine

I also have inconsistent results with the add-on. Sometimes it's fine,
other times it refuses to update texture resolution as I fly over, even in
really slow planes like the Piper Cub or a helicopter. Sometimes the
autogen is fine, other times large areas of the city are empty. When it
works, it's great, and it's nice to be able to fly around my old hometown,
even though I'm on the other side of the ocean now.

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:55:00 -0400, Paganguy wrote:

> In dispair I finally uninstalled and re-installed FS9. All was well
> again. I am now a little hesitant about installing add-ons for fear it
> may cause my game to degrade again. Is this common?

Do yourself a HUGE favor. Next time you think you need to "uninstall and
reinstall FS9, come here and ask first.

The odds are very, very high that the problem could have been solved
without taking such a drastic step. In fact, the solution would probably
take less than 30 seconds... ;)

Bill