Before You Update to SP2

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Visit the following webpages:

What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

Get the Latest Updates and Information from Your PC Manufacturer Before
Installing Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/oemlinks.mspx

Using programs and hardware with Service Pack 2 (SP2)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;ln;xpsp2swhw

If running Office 2003 make sure you have the latest Service Pack
http://office.microsoft.com/home/default.aspx

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Center
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;windowsxpsp2

Bottom line:

1. Make sure your system is up to date with with Microsoft patches and
critical updates
2. Make a full back up of your system including System State Data (if
running XP Pro also create an Automated System Recovery - ASR - disk)
3. If you have problems, Microsoft is offering free technical support for
SP2 -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;Prodoffer80&sd=GN
Please do not send email directly to this alias as it is used for newsgroup
participation only.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:30:22 -0500, "Sjonia Harper [MSFT]"

>Get the Latest Updates and Information from Your PC Manufacturer Before
>Installing Windows XP Service Pack 2
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/oemlinks.mspx

That's good advice, but don't count on having the latest available
BIOS revision as being an assurance you are SP-OK, if your system uses
(or plans to later use) an Intel Prescott-generation processor.

Intel's line implies that all current motherboards should be expected
to be OK, save a few crummy ones that aren't.

However, we don't know the %s here - and from what I have seen (i.e.
only ONE "I have a Prescott, and SP2 works fine here" post) it may be
that most Prescott-generation PCs are at risk, new BIOS or not.

So I'd check http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm first, before doing
any SP2 on an Intel processor PC unless I knew it was not only not
Prescott, but also that it's mobo was old enough never to Prescott.

Full details are in that link. I'd like to see this specific issue
addressed in MS's "before you install..." advice; it's implied in a
very general way as "check your hardware / BIOS vendor", but that's
like saying "walk carefully" rather than "you are in a minefield" -
IOW it may CYA, but it's not an effective, specific warning.

Tip Of The Day:
To disable the 'Tip of the Day' feature...

Charlie

Sjonia Harper [MSFT] wrote:
> Visit the following webpages:
>
> What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
>
> Get the Latest Updates and Information from Your PC Manufacturer Before
> Installing Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/oemlinks.mspx
>
> Using programs and hardware with Service Pack 2 (SP2)
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;ln;xpsp2swhw
>
> If running Office 2003 make sure you have the latest Service Pack
> http://office.microsoft.com/home/default.aspx
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Center
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;windowsxpsp2
>
> Bottom line:
>
> 1. Make sure your system is up to date with with Microsoft patches and
> critical updates
> 2. Make a full back up of your system including System State Data (if
> running XP Pro also create an Automated System Recovery - ASR - disk)
> 3. If you have problems, Microsoft is offering free technical support for
> SP2 -
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;Prodoffer80&sd=GN

But if you are secure with the help of third party software/hardware &
have been around the internet block a few times don't risk trashing your
system for the sake of those users that have been deluded into thinking
that a computer is like a TV.

Charlie.

--
www.peartreegreen.org