quiet hd's on Antec Performance TX1050B

IRanNaked

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
any one know a good solution to quiet my hd instead of buying a 5.25" silencer? I have it mounted in the 3.5" drive bay on the bottom in the middle of the bay with a 80mm fan blowing on it but when i start up a game its noisey as hell from the vibrations. I tried putting rubber like feet on it and have it rest on the bay but it interfear's with my video card and i also tried moving my video card to a 8x slot but the video card produces screen flickering when starting a game. Im in a pickle and i have no idea what to do. I thought of buying screw like rubber fan mounts but i know it wont hold the hd up. :p

soo any idea's is greatly appreciated and welcomed

BobA

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
I own a 1050B with two Seagate drives in the bottom bay.

I guess I'll start with the obvious:

Is the drive secured firmly with 4 screws?

Is the removable bay latched in the proper position?

If the answer is yes, then there is no reason why the drive/bay should vibrate.

I would suggest it may be another component. Try removing the front fan and see if this solves the problem.

If it doesn't the only thing I can think of is that the hard drive itself is the source of the vibrations.

Do let us know what happens.

-Bob

IRanNaked

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
1. Yes the drive is probly more then secured with four screwe's. It's as tight as nessary.
and it's latched properly it's just that i have no idea why it makes such a grinding noise. I can tell that the HD vibrate's alot cuz I took it out completely and placed it in my hand.
The thing about the front fan, should I also remove the fan attachment and try that? Cuz I think that if the excess noise is caused by the HD touching the fan holder it could the the problem. Well later i'll try taking it out and trying multiple option's.
Thank's for you'r help

BobA

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
Yes remove the front fan and its holder.

By the way, you may find the front fan has no cooling effect at all. The 1050B has a very large grill opening in the front (as you know, of course).

With only the two PSU fans (only one is ever on, in my machine) and the rear case fan set to low (and of course the cpu, chipset and video card fans), air is pulled through the front grill and the side door grills at a rapid, but noiseless rate. I removed the door tunnel as well, since it is not positioned above my 3500+ on a Chainteck board.

The machine runs exceptionally cool and quiet.

Granted, your video card will run hotter than my 6600.

-Bob