What can you actually play on integrated graphics?

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
My friend just bought a new computer from a store, probably futureshop unfortunatly, and it cost between 1500-2000cad. it is a media centre, and he thinks he has the best graphics card you can get. he says he knows a lot about computer, but he says its an integrated graphics card. he says intel 519 or something, i think he's talking about the chipset, cause i don't think intel makes graphics cards.

My question is... what can you actually run on integrated graphics, gamewise? :?:

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Well from what i understand, they absolutely suck for gaming. They dont have dedicated RAM, they use a portion of your system ram to do their job. What model PC does he have? Someone here can look up the specs (as you can too) to see what its got in it. And intel makes intel extreme integrated graphics chips, not cards from what i know.

cleeve

Illustrious
Pretty much any old DirectX 7 game.

If you're lucky, DirectX 8 games that the developers bothered to check compatibility with.

And DirectX 9 games with a DirectX 8 path or lower, that also had a team of developers who gave a crap...

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
you can play some old emulator games on that like mario and legend of zelda and you could play probably red alert 2 like my cuz does with his crappy intel integrated graphics.

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Lol, intergrated graphics cards are teh sux! He would have no chance in playing any of the latest games. Maybe he could play sumin like Counter stike 1.6 or some fairly old games.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
i can play red alert 2 with my crappy 366mhz integrated everything 96mb ram, i think it can do better than that. Has anyone ever heard of the game Emperor: Battle for Dune, its the limit of what my computer can play, late 2001-summer 2002 is usually where games are too good for my computer. When i get my new one next week, i want to get fear,bf2,cod2, but also want to play about 5 games that don't work on this like, world war 3 balck gold, s.w.i.n.e(funny pigs vs rabbits for carrotland rts game), dogs of war, red alert2( which for some reason wouldn't work after i reformatted my hd for the fisrt time, must have been some programs deleted or something,, oh and empire earth which starts up, does intro, and then magically shuts down.

anyways do you think integrated could play age of empires 3?

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
that's what sucks about packages from hp and such cause the best graphics i ever saw on one was from MDG(canada) and it was an x300 not pro, which the total system cost 1300cad, and i almost bought, but then i decided to go learn about hardware on the internet about 2 months ago and learned just how bad that really is.

just a thought, what is the worst PCIe card available now.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
how is that system working out for you. its close to what i'm getting
athlon 3700+ 2.2ghz(plan to overclock to 2.6ghz
ocz el platinum 2-2-2-5 ram
asus a8n sli premium
eVGA 7800gt co 470mhz
creative x-fi extreme music

how much did yours cost, mine is costing 2600 plus tax, shipping, insurance at 3119 cad
however this includes z5500 speakers and g5 mouse
about 400 extra

Danger-KeepAway

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
You guys are pretty bias, and you guys have not even read about this card, in fact I think Anda Tech or this site did a report on intel integrated cards. That card can play all the latest games, but not on the highest settings, in fact i have this card in my bussiness comp, and it runs WoW, and Doom 3, no problems. Really do research before you start calling these cards crap, but if that guy wants to play F.E.A.R or anything, tell him to pop a 6800gs in there, because money is tight for teens, and he should be good to go. :p

P.S. If he is rich, tell him to get the 7800gt, no need for a 5% increase with the GTX

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I'm 16 and look at my system. you don't have to be rich, just save.
AND... i did defend it a bit by saying about my stupid comp i have now and it must be better than people say, however, playing everything on low is not my idea of good, satifactory, acceptable, or any other word like that, its a bottom of the barrel graphics solution, thats what i'll say.

I can play the Medal of Honor series ( not Pacific Assault ), and the new Quake 4 game on my board. Game plays really well, but on-line game play is terrible, ( medal ) . You can have a really good ping, but the lack of a graffx cards really cuts into how well you can play there. Thats about the most demanding games for onboard video.
It's a Biostar 6100/939

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Just to answer some questions.
The number one Graphical solution provider in the world is NOT
Nvidia, ATI, XGI or Matrox.....its Intel. They sell more GMA based
boxes than anything else.

@Danger

Bias?? On what grounds? First off, its not even a video card...per-say.
Its a GMA = sucks. Anything DX9 will most likely get rapped pretty bad.
Of course your exception would be @ 800x600 no AA, AF view distance, terrain detail, enviroments, etc...

Granted WoW isnt a huge GPU demanding game. I have a box with an
integrated G4MX 64mb...it plays WoW 1024x768 low detail and achieve 22-25FPS.

BTW, I would love to see some benchies of that machine with your GMA running Doom3. Of course, when you play @ 640x480...I"m sure it runs fine. I had a 9700 pro that still occasionally gave me some low frames @ 1024x768.

Were not bias...in this sense. Were simply stating what the better solution is.

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Well put Raven.

I am also curious to see some benchmarks on that system with Doom3. Lets get some FRAPS action and record a small video with FPS in the corner. Any guesses? 5, maybe 10 FPS?

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
my cousin wojtek(i think thats how you spell it)he loves rts even his gf has had enuf of his rts habit i tell ya if he moved to south korea he would pwn all the l337s in starcraft!

TRENDING THREADS