CPU overvoltage error and AMD Cool n Quiet

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you have seen this error message. It happens on my girlfriend's computer.
"CPU overvoltage error"
This happens on boot up occasionally. Its a halt error, so we have to reset it for it to work again. It seems pretty random.
This is happening on a computer that's almost one year old.

Here's the history of it:
I built it, installed Win XP, ran fine for 7 months with Cool N Quiet installed.
I had to reinstall Win XP, it ran probably for about 2 months without Cool N Quiet installed (I forgot to install AMD's drivers for XP).
I realized it wasn't using Cool N Quiet about 3 weeks ago, and I reenabled it.
About 1-1/2 to 2 weeks ago, we occasionally get the CPU overvoltage error.
No new hardware has been installed on it since I built it.

The kick is that I have an Athlon 64 2800+, which is clocked at 1.8Ghz, but at bootup I noted that it said it was a 1.0Ghz computer.
I've since disabled Cool N Quiet via BIOS, and no problems since then (about a week ago).

Has anyone else run into this issue? Or ideas on what is going on? Any thoughts on a fix or anything?
I just suspect that the Cool N Quiet is kind of messing up the POST process or something.

Thanks in advance! :)

Complete Specs:
AMD 64 2800+ socket 754
Asus K8SMX - http://www.directron.com/k8smx.html
2 GB Crucial RAM (2x1GB)
SATA Seagate 80GB HDD
Using integrated graphics through the SiS chip
Antec Sonata I case - 350W (came w/ case)
Lite-On DVD-RW

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
well i think cool and quiet is interfering with the power supply 12v rail im not sure tho my bros comp had the same problem reinstaled windows and changed the power supply no problems so far :D

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
The only thing I would worry about would be that the PSU is going. But she hasn't seen any other problems come up, just that one.
I'm thinking that maybe Cool N Quiet is doing something at startup or the BIOS is, and that's why I get the processor speed read at 1Ghz instead of the 1.8Ghz. So it feeds more voltage in but the BIOS thinks its a 1Ghz so it needs less voltage.
Blah