Sign in with
Your question

Heat Spreader on Corsair memory?

Last response: in Systems
February 15, 2006 10:33:11 PM

I bought the following 1 GB (2x512) Corsair memory

Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT 1GB DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader

And I assume the clips on the exterior of the memory are the "heat spreaders". This is the first time I have seen "heat spreaders" on a memory module. Is there something special I am suppose to do with these clips when I install the memory?
February 16, 2006 11:11:53 AM

The package comes with 2 memory sticks in a plastic case. Each stick has this paper-clip sized wireform drapped over the top of the memory stick. It's perfectly centered and on one side of the memory, the clip does a big U (about 2 inches wide) and the ends of the "U:" clip on to the top of the memory to hold it in place.

I don't know if this is just a packing clip or actually a useful part of the memory. Info included with the memory was useless.
Related resources
February 16, 2006 3:14:25 PM

I'm not quite sure what you're refering to, but it sounds like it's just a clip to hold the heat spreaders in place. Just leave it on unless it interferes with installation, in which case you would want to remove it.
February 16, 2006 4:01:33 PM

You peel the 2 sided tape and stick it on the heatsink. Then stick the heatsink to the ram module and place clips to secure it in place. :) 
February 16, 2006 5:20:01 PM

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to leave them on. Like the other guy said, I think they're supposed to hold the heat spreaders in place.

I had the same question when installing my XMS 2048-3200C2PT, but when looking at the picture on Corsair's website, they show a picture of the memory in place on a mobo, and the clips are still attached.

In any event, I've had them on in my system , and I've never had any problems with it.
February 16, 2006 6:19:47 PM

i just bought the EXACT same memory you leave them on. no worries
February 20, 2006 12:51:26 PM

Clips remain on the memory. Thanks everyone!!!
!