The service do not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows 8
Last response: in Windows 8
November 28, 2012 6:37:29 AM

Hi all,
I have recently upgraded my laptop to Windows 8 pro from Vista - everything seemed fine and then the Live Mail came up with a message 'could not be started may be incorrectly installed or disk full' which can't be right. Looked up the problem and tried to repair/re-install and then I got the above message on almost everything I tried! Some fixes mentioned 'regedit' couldn't get into it, tried uninstalling Avast antivirus couldn't access it! Help! Not 100% with Windows 8 and not sure if a restore may help? Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Gill

More about : service respond start control request timely fashion

November 28, 2012 6:56:03 AM

The way I see it, you have a few options. Two of those are:

1) User Mozilla Thunderbird, which is a free email clients and many people have had much, much better success using it instead of Windows Live Mail, which has been problematic since it was introduced.

2) Take your computer to a repair shop. At mine, we get these kind of problems fairly often but they are tricky to fix in general and even harder if we don't have physical access to the computer.

I know that's probably not what you had in mind, but those are my honest suggestions and I do hope they help you. Good luck!
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b * Windows 8
November 28, 2012 3:43:43 PM

window key + x select run
type cleanmgr.exe select options to clean up temporary files, memory dumps...

-also, windows 8 setup would have moved your copy of vista to windows.old
you can delete portions of it to free space or the hole thing after you grab anything you really want to save out of its directories. I would suspect that most of your used space is in this old directory.
m
l
Related resources
December 5, 2012 9:34:16 AM

Hi,

Many thanks for your replies, was busy doing similar when you suggested cleanmgr.exe and rebooted and everything now OK! :bounce: 

Hate when these happen for no reason.

Gill
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b * Windows 8
December 6, 2012 6:46:12 PM

gfitz12 said:
Hi,

Many thanks for your replies, was busy doing similar when you suggested cleanmgr.exe and rebooted and everything now OK! :bounce: 

Hate when these happen for no reason.

Gill

it is the hidden temp files, they can fill up your machine over time if you don't clean them up.
m
l
!