Windows 7 Audio Driver?

larryk_toms

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Hi, I've just built a PC using Windows7 64 bit Pro as the OS. I like it fine so far. My problem is with audio from my website.
I have a website with sound clips in the form of ".aif" files. I developed these clips using FrontPage on Windows XP machine.
I tested using IE 32 bit. With the W7 machine, running the 64 bit IE, the sound will not play. When I open with a
32 bit version of IE, the sound plays just fine. Here's a sample of the sound pages:

http://www.larrykleinschmidt.com/VietnamCoolAidSoundClip.htm

Is there a 64 bit sound driver that I can use to listen to these sound clip pages. Is there a warning that I should
post on these pages to tell folks that the sound will not play when using a 64 bit version of IE?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you,

larry.k

xambron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
IE 64 Bit will not even use addons properly. Are your sound drivers 32 bit as well? If so you may need to find the 64 bit and install those alongside your current drivers for proper playback.

larryk_toms

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Hi Thanks,

Basically there aren't any add-ons set up on the 64 bit edition. I see one for Shockwave that is set
up on the 32 bit edition. I wonder if there is a 64 bit add-on for the sound system?

Thanks larry.k

xambron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
I'm not quite sure since I've never been in your exact position. However, I'm guessing your wanting your website to work with all browsers and be compatible. I was going to say you may need a 64 bit codec pack or 64 bit iTunes/QuickTime since apple is the proprietary format developer. But even with one or both of those installed it may not help, I think IE 64 bit is restricted and only loads the core components.

larryk_toms

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
It's strange. In one file this command works and plays the background sound track:

<bgsound src="Photos/Vietnam/NamSounds/HueyMixed1.aif" loop="1">

But in the rest of the sound clip files this command will not work:

<embed width="151" height="41" src="Photos/Vietnam/NamSounds/CoolAid11.aif" style="color: #666600; font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 12pt"><br>
<font color="#F0C42B"><b>The Voice of Mel Major, from French Fort, 1968!</b></font></p></table>

So it looks like an embed command won't work but a bgsound command will. Geez!

larry.k