Widescreen resolutions and video card resolutions

CptCeeJay

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Thanks for reading.
I'm shopping for a new video card and a new monitor. I want a 19 or 20.1 inch widescreen LCD. I also want an nVidia 7800GS (AGP). Before I buy these though I want to make sure I get a video card which best suits widescreens. It seems like video card resolutions and monitor native resolutions don't match up well. Take Viewsonic for example: they have a 19 inch widescreen with a native 1440x900 resolution but (also for example) eVGA's 7800 GS doesn't have that resolution listed in it's spec sheet. I mean I know I can go buy both and it will work... but I'm trying to get above functionality and into some meager level of higher performance.
That's it, thanks again.
- CJ

What's the rest of your system and how much is the GF7800GS going to cost you?

Personally I think the GS is usually overpriced, nowhere near as good as a GT/GTX for Widescreen. I and many others would likely recommend a new mobo + GT versus adding the GS to your current system, but it does depend on price and your mobo restrictions.

As to the question at hand, yes all current cards will support WS under Windows (not necessarily under Linux). There was a time when that wasn't the case right out of the box nor with D3D apps especially ith SLi (as Kinney knows), but even then you could add it to normal use (not SLi) with a regedit hack. Now all cardmakers ATi, MAtrox, nV and XGi support WS resolutions under M$, however under Linux most of the integrated solutuions have problems with WS, but most of the cards are good.

Be sure to install your monitor drivers to make it easier for the card to auto-detect the best settings and make them your default. Sometimes as plug-play you have to add the resolution manually in the driver software.

For games, it will depend on the support of the game, you might have to play at 1280x720/1280x1024 and have the LCD interpolate the resolution to fit your screen, this may make it blurry, but not all games support the full range of resolutions (I know as a 1440x900 use myself [on Mobility Radeon X700]).

Overall there is no 'special' choice for WS other than something powerful enough to drive the resolution. Personally I'd recommend the GT+MoBo over the GS if it is an option, otherwise the GS will be ok as the best agp, just not ideal a price/performance and will almost always underperform compared to a GT.

CptCeeJay

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Thanks for the feedback.

I can't say I disagree about getting a new mobo and going PCI-e and SLI.

Here is what I am working with currently:
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe mobo
Penitum 4 2.4
Three old HDD's (20G, 30G and 80G)
nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128 Meg
Soundblaster Audigy 5.1
512 meg Mushkin RAM
Dell M781 CRT monitor

I was all set to buy a new mobo, processor (AMD dual core), dual SLI vid cards, etc. until I heard that AMD is going to introduce a new architecture for their dual core CPU very soon. I don't want to buy a cutting edge AMD dual core processor that will be obsolete even faster than usual for computer parts. So since I have some extra cash now (and won't after my first child arrives next month I'm sure) I thought I'd improve what I have right now and see how AMD dual core and parenthood shake out. I have other planned near-term purchases as well: dual 250 Gig SATA HDD's I'll set up in RAID configurations, maxing out my RAM, upgrading my CPU, overclocking my CPU, etc. Some of these expenditures will transfer to a new board in a few years some won't and that's OK.

What am I going to pay for the 7800GS? $300 from Newegg.com.
What do I do with my PC? Edit digital video, edit digital still photos, play Civ III and IV, play microsoft flight sims, maybe a new first person shooter in the future. I wouldn't say I am an extreme enthusiast just one who is learning more everyday.
Again thanks for the feedback.
CJ

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
You are really on a dead end platform.
New processor wont go to new system.
Ram wont go to new system.
AGP video card will not make it to new system.
About the only thing is the hard drive.

Ram will help you the most with editing.

I was all set to buy a new mobo, processor (AMD dual core), dual SLI vid cards, etc. until I heard that AMD is going to introduce a new architecture for their dual core CPU very soon. I don't want to buy a cutting edge AMD dual core processor that will be obsolete even faster than usual for computer parts.

You could get am M2 compatible 'transition' board if you wanted. The AsRock Mobo is S939 and M2 future capable, and it also has AGP + PCIe as well as SATA + ATA. Alot of flexability there.

http://www.pcstats.com/ArtVNL.cfm?articleid=1860&page=3

Just another upgrade path.

Some of these expenditures will transfer to a new board in a few years some won't.

Well IMO you'd need alot of upgrading or get a 'just for now' card. The GF7800GS doesn't benifit your current rig for your primary apps much more than a GF6800GT/GS (problem with AGP though is no WMP hardware acceleration [only on PCIe models]) or X800GTO/XT etc. So if you can save about $100 there it might be better towards a completely new rig.

What am I going to pay for the 7800GS? $300 from Newegg.com.

And that's alot of money. Although OC'ed it would be an ok boost, it's just not a very attractive upgrade. Even if you upgrade using one of those S478+PCIE MoBos and a true PCIe card, I think you'd get more bang for your buck, and be able to move that new GF7800GT or X800 / X1600 card to your new rig (I'd suggest the AIW X1800/1900 with it's free copy of Photoshop and Premiere elements, but they're a little pricier, and if you already have the software, limited benifit, but something to think about).
Here's an example of the MoBo;
http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/it/mb/specification.asp?pro_id=160#

I seriously think it makes much more sense to get one of those and a new PCIe card since it will outperform that crippled AGP card and will be transferable to a new PCI and either SLi'able or Xfire'able, or even you'd likely be able to resell them for more than that GS should you decide to upgrade again. The GS while being attractive to some, may be harder to sell depending on the market, but considering some of the wicked deals people here have gotten (like Cleeve) who knows might not be that different.

What do I do with my PC? Edit digital video, edit digital still photos, play Civ III and IV, play microsoft flight sims, maybe a new first person shooter in the future. I wouldn't say I am an extreme enthusiast just one who is learning more everyday.

Well for the editing I'd prefer the X1600 series for it's AVIVO benifits, but for game playing value I'd say the GF7800GT would be a good use of your funds. If you could stretch them to an X1800XL AIW or X1900AIW that would be nice too since it does both very well, but that's a chuck of change with a mobo ontop, and if you don't need the software there isn't that benifit. The GF7800GT with that MoBo should only be a few bucks more than that GS and perform better, so at the very least that would be my suggestion.

And yeah RAM will help with the video editing,as will a little more CPU power, as I'm sure you're aware.

BTW, good luck with the parenthood part of the equation too. Remember you can't RMA the baby! :tongue:

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Yep, its' better to upgrade to a pci-e board and get a 7800GT or X1800. Soon in the next year or two AGP will be extinct when it comes to gaming and other 3D application.