Sign in with
Your question

AM2 X2 Windsor F Stepping Die Picture

Last response: in CPUs
February 16, 2006 3:03:16 AM

I'm not sure if Bullshitter is around anymore, but here is finally a die picture of the AM2 X2 core.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060215195420...

Major points of interest are the larger overall die size, largely due to the DDR2 controller, while the physical size of the L2 cache has actually decreased. Interestingly the TDP for mainstream processors has actually decreased with the 2.6GHz X2 coming in at 89W while the FXs have increased to 125W.

XBit labs reports that the FX-62 is at 2.8GHz while the top X2 is 2.6GHz. The exact core speeds still seem to be in contention though as a 2.8GHz FX-62 would mean that 1333MHz HTT has been dropped from the initial AM2 FXs. I still think that the specs The Inquirer released a while ago make more sense with AM2 being labeled a 400MHz PR rating increase over existing models and the FX-62 being 2.67GHz. It doesn't seem sensible for AMD for give the AM2 processors the same PR rating as S939 processors at the same clock speeds considering the increase in performance (the amount is debatable), that DDR2 will provide.

The original Inquirer models are here:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28367

and the conundrum on clock speed and PR ratings of the final processors was recently mentioned here:

Quote:
We cannot confirm the frequencies at this time but there is a possibility that AMD won't change the clocks, and that it will count DDR 2 as the speed update. We are not sure yet, but this has happened before.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29718
February 16, 2006 3:10:24 AM

Quote:
Interestingly the TDP for mainstream processors has actually decreased with the 2.6GHz X2 coming in at 89W while the FXs have increased to 125W.

interesting indeed. sounds like its going to be a good year for intel. PUT THAT IN YOUR BLUNT AND SMOKE IT AMD FANS!!!
February 16, 2006 3:29:35 AM

Pop a cheeba and smoke a fatty, who cares. People that buy themz FX's wantz da performance, and do not care about if it takes 10 phase change systems ghetto-rigged together to cool it!

I wonder why AMD hasn't introduced HyperTransport 2.0 into the CPU's, and if they did, they're not utilizing it fully. HT2.0 is 1.4GHz FD (2.8GHz effective) which would seem like that 333x4 (minus a few mhz). Can't wait to see HT3.0, can you say "Bye Bye Clock Stepping?" lol that'd be the day.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
Related resources
February 16, 2006 3:32:14 AM

Quote:
Pop a cheeba and smoke a fatty, who cares. People that buy themz FX's wantz da performance, and do not care about if it takes 10 phase change systems ghetto-rigged together to cool it!

really...... :roll:
February 16, 2006 3:34:26 AM

Yea, really.

February 16, 2006 5:32:58 AM

ok then i'll have to take your word for it
February 16, 2006 5:47:06 AM

thank you data now us fanboy's know what to expect from m2 :lol: 
!