NEVER BUY NEC

OMG... I'm so frigin pissed right now. Never ever buy an NEC DVD burner. I've had the POS (which doesn't read half the CDs I burn from other drives) for 4 months and it's already dead. It won't read/write anything.

Don't ever buy name brand. They're all trash.

For the record I have a ND-3550A.

-mpjesse
57 answers Last reply
More about never
  1. really i like nec they have some good drives.
  2. not this one.

NEC wouldn't honor the warranty

-mpjesse
  3. i have a 3540 and no problems, and i heard a lot that nec dvd burners among the best
  4. I have a 3540 with modded firmware. I burin dvds at 8x and 16x and ive never had a problem. Maybe you just got a bad drive it happens once in awhile.
  5. Quote:
    but I'll still have the same shitty model most likely.

Oh, you mean the model that gets 4 out 5 Eggs for 697 reviews on NewEgg?

Wait, is that the same one that Tom's Hardware Stores shows 4.5/5 stars with the only negatives being the price of dual layer media?

I mean, it couldn't be the one that Anandtech reviewed and gave the best price/performance award to.

Face it, you got a defective drive and NewEgg is going to replace it. Don't go trashing all of NEC just bcs one out of 100K units that rolled off the line didn't work properly. Shit happens.
  6. Oh, and:

Quote:

LOL. Should we all start manufacturing our own DVD burners instead?
  7. They're not really into quality. Although thier product cost a dime but as the saying states, you pay for what you get. Nec product is not even a good value. My buddy bought a Nec lcd, because he thought it was a steal but he ended up pissed off. I could count dead pixels to hundreds, seriously. So he plays FEAR with all the white dots. I got nothing against NEC but the quality of their product is not good even though the price is low, still not worth it. As for media drives I trust sony, memorex, asus and lite-on. Sorry about your drive man.
  8. You friend is an idiot, because he should have ruturned monitor under warranty. U should have adviced him too.
  9. Quote:

Oh, you mean the model that gets 4 out 5 Eggs for 697 reviews on NewEgg?

Wait, is that the same one that Tom's Hardware Stores shows 4.5/5 stars with the only negatives being the price of dual layer media?

I mean, it couldn't be the one that Anandtech reviewed and gave the best price/performance award to.

Face it, you got a defective drive and NewEgg is going to replace it. Don't go trashing all of NEC just bcs one out of 100K units that rolled off the line didn't work properly. Shit happens.

That doesnt mean crap. Read arstechnica and a number of other tech sights. Companies (Nvidia) have paid people to go around and post positive reviews of their products. Just because a user review gives it 4.5/5 stars doesnt necessarily mean that its a great product. Check it out. Even on this forum there is no promise that there aren't corporate lackeys giving everyone insidious advice. Mpjesse may be jumping the gun a bit, but he has been here a while, and his hardware advice is generally sound. I am not going to write of Nec right now, but I will take a look at it because of Mp's post.
  10. i have to agree with you man i mean i think that nec is ok but geez you never know where these plants i still think that a few ppl here are plants which shall remain nameless!
  11. Quote:
    Companies (Nvidia) have paid people to go around and post positive reviews of their products. Just because a user review gives it 4.5/5 stars doesnt necessarily mean that its a great product.

So, out of the 697 reviews on Newegg, how many do you think are paid corporate sponsors? Are you calling the smart folks over at Anandtech paid stooges? C'mon already, get real. If we can't take reviews from good sources at face value then you mind as well go buy a Dell and get what you pay for.

Quote:
    Mpjesse may be jumping the gun a bit, but he has been here a while, and his hardware advice is generally sound. I am not going to write of Nec right now, but I will take a look at it because of Mp's post.

With any hardware purchase you make, you are assuming the risk that the product may be defective and will have to deal with the consequences. His advice to "avoid name brands bcs they are crap" is hardly sound in this case, which is while I felt driven to respond.

It's worthwhile for him to post the issues that he found with the drive bcs if many of the units start popping up this way then we as the public benefit from this common knowledge. But other then that, it was a childish tantrum.
  12. Quote:
    So, out of the 697 reviews on Newegg, how many do you think are paid corporate sponsors? Are you calling the smart folks over at Anandtech paid stooges? C'mon already, get real. If we can't take reviews from good sources at face value then you mind as well go buy a Dell and get what you pay for.

I am getting real. The simple fact is niether you nor I can prove or disprove how many of those 697 reviews are corporate, no I am not calling Anadntech paid stoogies, I am talking about customer reviews, there is a difference between publisher and customer reviews. You will also notice that most of those reviews are within a 3 month period, the majority in a 2 week period! I went and skimmed tomshardware, Cnet, and newegg.

Quote:
    With any hardware purchase you make, you are assuming the risk that the product may be defective and will have to deal with the consequences. His advice to "avoid name brands bcs they are crap" is hardly sound in this case, which is while I felt driven to respond.

True, and I admitted that he may be jumping the gun, I still am looking at a Nec for my burner. But the fact is that Mpjesse is one of those poster, who when posts, I generally think it is sound advice and I am willing to go check something out if he, or other 'trusted' poster say something. My original statement stands, just because it gets a certain number of stars on a customer review does not mean its a great product, and sometimes personal preferences get in the way. Extremetech recomends a sony brand optical drive for their bang for buck box, yet I saw some customer reviews that said otherwise. It doesnt mean that the product is bad, it just means I need to do more research on arstechnica, tomshardware, anandatech, cnet, extremetech etc. Even then after a ton of research buying a product, especially from an online vendor, is a bit of a crap shoot like you said.
  13. Well, I think we're pretty much in agreement and just splitting hairs here...

If you're in the market for a drive, check out the Plextor 740A. Newegg has a $20 MIB on it now, and so far for me it has been a great drive (no coasters yet, after about a month and 3-4 DVD burns).

It gets great reviews ... :wink:
  14. Im happy with the ND-3550A :roll:
  15. Quote:
    OMG... I'm so frigin pissed right now. Never ever buy an NEC DVD burner. I've had the POS (which doesn't read half the CDs I burn from other drives) for 4 months and it's already dead. It won't read/write anything.

For the record I have a ND-3550A.

-mpjesse

BEHOLD - AN ANTIFANBOY IS CREATED!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

i hate MSI cause iv had all of there products (about 12 of em) all go up.
  16. Every single name brand DVD/CD drive I've ever owned (half NEC and half Pioneer) have all crapped out. I am not exaggerating.

I've got about half a dozen or so cheap lite on drives still working in my home and office. 3 are 5 years old! My current CD burner in my gaming PC was purchased in 2001. I've burned hundreds of CD's on it. No issues.

I stand my ground- name brand optical drives suck. I've probably burned about 15 DVD's on this shit NEC and it dies. Give me a break man. NEC is trash.

Oh please don't ever quote me egg ratings. They're grossly inaccurate 99% of the time.

-mpjesse
  17. Let me take this one step further- don't ever buy name brand DVD players either. I've owned about 6 DVD players over the years. You know which brand has been the best consistently? APEX.

My first Sony refused to read burned CD's.
    My first JVC died
    My first Pioneer wouldn't read DVD-R discs (this was just 2 years ago!)

All my APEX's have read all burned media and they all still work. Not to mention they read SVCDs way before any of those name brand clowns did.
  18. youve had the same luck as me with msi products
  19. Oh and another thing (u got me all worked up), if NEC is so frigin great then why don't they offer a factory warranty on their drives? I had to get newegg to replace it.

Same goes for TDK- I had a TDK burner flake out once... tried to get it replaced and all they told me was "sorry, 90 day factory warranty."

And for the record my NEC died after 4 months of use- it wasn't defective off the line. It's just a POS to begin with.

-mpjesse
  20. I work in a computer shop and I sell Nec DVD Burners all the Time, they are among the best. I have more problems with other devices like Plextor Sony, than I have with Nec
  21. Quote:
    ...Every single name brand DVD/CD drive I've ever owned (half NEC and half Pioneer) have all crapped out...I've owned about 6 DVD players over the years..

Sounds to me like someone ought to keep you away from optical media players :wink:
  22. Well... when u have like 4 working systems in ur house and 3 in the office, stuff goes bad.

I'm just saying that I have more brand name optical drives go bad than non-brand name. Above all I think TDK is the worst. But NEC is right up there with me now...
  23. it's understandable that you're upset, but i'd wait a little bit before posting something like that again, because a lot of people on this forum take your word as bond.

ps-anecdotal evidence isn't really fair for a large production like NEC. i've got one that I bought off of eBay in an external enclosure over 1.6 years ago and it's still going strong.
  24. you're right... sorry. i was just pissed at the time. lol.
  25. NEC DVD burner is usually very reliable.
    I installed many NEC DVD burner for friends' computers and 2 for myself.
    They all work great.
  26. Used to have an NEC 4x DVD burner. Worked fine. Only don't use it anymore because I upgraded to a 16x one. NEC is a good company and makes a good quality product. Lemons happen.
  27. I have the same NEC dvd burner as you, and never had any problems
  28. I can't stand buying DVD burners, there basically all the same price and all the same. It's always just a blind choice with luck to get a good one that doesn't fail. Most reviews are done right after the purchase too, so you never know how long it's gonna last and there useless.
  29. Hi All,

I have had little problems with NEC optical drives over the years. I have one 4550 that is flaking out on me (won't burn well, won't recognize disks). My NEC3550 does sometimes not read disks but hell its getting old - like me!!

I would be more pissed at the USA consumer laws than these big corporations... Your minimum warranty legislation is non-existent compared to over here in the EU... Apparently my OEM Samsung optical drives that are ejecting spinning discs :lol: (see my thread elsewhere in this forum) are covered by a 2 YEAR warranty[/b] over here in England...

Bob
  30. I like NEC. General good products.

Neighbour had a 19 inch LCD few years back that cost ~$900. About a year later, something went wrong, and they replaced it with a better model.

- "They are all trash."

Comment: Wow, you are quite the idiot. You make a conclusion based on one experience. I'm sure you are the kind of person who sees a black person on the news that committed a crime, and think all black people are criminals. The world would probably be a better place without folks like you.

PS. Go FLlCK YOURSELF!
  31. babybudha said:

PS. Go FLlCK YOURSELF!

Sweet!! Will have to remember that creative use of lettering for this (and other) moderated forums!!

Bob
  32. Hey.... my Samsung spits out spinning discs too. And it fails to burn some media. makes cool clicking noise on some DVD's.....do i blame Samsung? No

A friend of mine had a Plextor and i never have never seen so many coasters....

I have had as many LiteON drives fail as anything else....and they ARE a name. they are only one of the words largest ODD makers.....hell for years everything Sony was LiteON.....

My opinion....Everything sucks equally....
  33. @OP: Just don't determine a companies reliability with only one product purchase. For a system builder (like me) you need to buy in like sets of 12, etc and you will see that 99% of the time they will work.
  34. Hey nukemaster,

What model Samsung did you have? I am just about RMA a batch of 4 ODD with this Firmware bug:
    Model : TTSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S183A (OEM) - SB02/SB03 firmware
    I am currently having an email 'liaison' with their UK customer service offices...

Since my drive is obsolete I guess they will have to send different drive models as a replacement (eventually!!)... I don't want another spinner (thats my new slang for Samsung ODD that eject spinning disks :lol: )... Drives that produce coasters are one thing but drives that turn perfectly good DVD-ROMs into scratched coasters... Thats like not good!! :pt1cable:

Bob
  35. My dad has an NEC 20WGX2 monitor. It has 1 dead pixel and two stuck pixels. FEAR is the only game they are noticeable in and only if you look for them. Besdies that, the monitor is simply amazing, colour vibrancy is unlike anything I've seen, it makes Far Cry look spectacular.
  36. NEC drives are OK, but nothing special. I've got four older 2500 series NEC drives and one Toshiba, and the Toshiba is MUCH better at reading scratched discs. Often the NEC drive will hang up on a disc when the Toshiba just goes right through the defect like it's not even there. At one time Toshiba made top-rated drives...not sure if that's still the case, though.
  37. mine is a SH-W162C.
  38. nukemaster

Ah not the dreaded SH-xxxx series as well.... :non: Hmm

Bob
  39. Well NEC is better than SAMsung for me... I think it's all personal experience .
  40. Hi lolitha

If the Samsung SH-xxxx drives do have a firmware bug allowing discs to be ejected while spinning... And that bug has not been corrected in most recently released firmware... Then I would say that those older Samsung models would be worse than NEC drives. In my experience NEC drives (not so gracefully) stop reading discs altogether they don't start destroying them!! :pt1cable:

Bob
  41. Hi

Actually I don't have too many complaints... The drives have a 2 year warranty and I bought them back in March 2007. So its going to become Samsung's problem when I RMA all 4 of them!! :lol:

The drives don't have any problems burning DVDs or CDs : actually it seems to only be pre-recorded discs that come out flying at high angular velocities!! :sol: Thats bad news with the Sony... I've never tried that brand of DVD-rewriter...

Bob
  42. Nec is a top brand when it comes to monitors...It's not for no reason that the Nec 2490WUXI is heavily wanted as a professional monitor.

BTW...about the newegg review talk....Sorry man, but only idiots would listen to newegg reviews. We have website based reviews for a reason. Consumers just buy the product, test it for a few days and post their newegg review..it says nothing about quality. Always take newegg reviews with a grain of salt...they are not to be trusted. The only information I ever use from newegg reviews...is to see the average OC on certain motherboards, or if a aftermarket heatsink fits inside a case. It's always there for me on those two fronts so I don't have to go searching...But anything else, don't listen.

In terms of this bad drive...you got a dud, it happens. It is a DUD though, it's defective off the line. To say that it isn't defective with only a 4 month operation time is ludcirous...So Nec likes to make drives that last only 4 months and die out?...You got a dud..plain and simple..

In terms of the Lite-On remarks. I do agree with you, I'm a lite-on fan myself. I've gone through lots of CD rom drives...But these lite on drives just keep on turning ^_^.
  43. "If NEC is good enough for Stargate, its good enough for me :P"

I had to...

My Samasung was out of warranty. On the plus side scratched discs had almost no effect on it....but neither did it on my old HP(And i mean it was scratched....with a knife...). And at the time HP was running NEC drives as there own. before that it was Samsung....
  44. I got an LG drive. I've had no problems with it except with one disc, which wasn't being read one day but did the next.
  45. randomizer said:
    I got an LG drive. I've had no problems with it except with one disc, which wasn't being read one day but did the next.
    Lots of activity for a 2 year old thread...
  46. Sure is, but since the conversation got going again, why not keep it going :D
  47. Note to self....read the dates.....
  48. It should have been obvious when you got to wusy's post that it isn't recent ;)
  49. I figured maybe he missed us :)
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Writers DVD Burner Burner NEC Storage