mpjesse

Splendid
OMG... I'm so frigin pissed right now. Never ever buy an NEC DVD burner. I've had the POS (which doesn't read half the CDs I burn from other drives) for 4 months and it's already dead. It won't read/write anything.

Don't ever buy name brand. They're all trash.

For the record I have a ND-3550A.

-mpjesse

adamryer

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
I have a 3540 with modded firmware. I burin dvds at 8x and 16x and ive never had a problem. Maybe you just got a bad drive it happens once in awhile.

G

but I'll still have the same shitty model most likely.

Oh, you mean the model that gets 4 out 5 Eggs for 697 reviews on NewEgg?

Wait, is that the same one that Tom's Hardware Stores shows 4.5/5 stars with the only negatives being the price of dual layer media?

I mean, it couldn't be the one that Anandtech reviewed and gave the best price/performance award to.

Face it, you got a defective drive and NewEgg is going to replace it. Don't go trashing all of NEC just bcs one out of 100K units that rolled off the line didn't work properly. Shit happens.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
They're not really into quality. Although thier product cost a dime but as the saying states, you pay for what you get. Nec product is not even a good value. My buddy bought a Nec lcd, because he thought it was a steal but he ended up pissed off. I could count dead pixels to hundreds, seriously. So he plays FEAR with all the white dots. I got nothing against NEC but the quality of their product is not good even though the price is low, still not worth it. As for media drives I trust sony, memorex, asus and lite-on. Sorry about your drive man.

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Oh, you mean the model that gets 4 out 5 Eggs for 697 reviews on NewEgg?

Wait, is that the same one that Tom's Hardware Stores shows 4.5/5 stars with the only negatives being the price of dual layer media?

I mean, it couldn't be the one that Anandtech reviewed and gave the best price/performance award to.

Face it, you got a defective drive and NewEgg is going to replace it. Don't go trashing all of NEC just bcs one out of 100K units that rolled off the line didn't work properly. Shit happens.

That doesnt mean crap. Read arstechnica and a number of other tech sights. Companies (Nvidia) have paid people to go around and post positive reviews of their products. Just because a user review gives it 4.5/5 stars doesnt necessarily mean that its a great product. Check it out. Even on this forum there is no promise that there aren't corporate lackeys giving everyone insidious advice. Mpjesse may be jumping the gun a bit, but he has been here a while, and his hardware advice is generally sound. I am not going to write of Nec right now, but I will take a look at it because of Mp's post.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
i have to agree with you man i mean i think that nec is ok but geez you never know where these plants i still think that a few ppl here are plants which shall remain nameless!

G

Companies (Nvidia) have paid people to go around and post positive reviews of their products. Just because a user review gives it 4.5/5 stars doesnt necessarily mean that its a great product.

So, out of the 697 reviews on Newegg, how many do you think are paid corporate sponsors? Are you calling the smart folks over at Anandtech paid stooges? C'mon already, get real. If we can't take reviews from good sources at face value then you mind as well go buy a Dell and get what you pay for.

Mpjesse may be jumping the gun a bit, but he has been here a while, and his hardware advice is generally sound. I am not going to write of Nec right now, but I will take a look at it because of Mp's post.

With any hardware purchase you make, you are assuming the risk that the product may be defective and will have to deal with the consequences. His advice to "avoid name brands bcs they are crap" is hardly sound in this case, which is while I felt driven to respond.

It's worthwhile for him to post the issues that he found with the drive bcs if many of the units start popping up this way then we as the public benefit from this common knowledge. But other then that, it was a childish tantrum.

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
So, out of the 697 reviews on Newegg, how many do you think are paid corporate sponsors? Are you calling the smart folks over at Anandtech paid stooges? C'mon already, get real. If we can't take reviews from good sources at face value then you mind as well go buy a Dell and get what you pay for.

I am getting real. The simple fact is niether you nor I can prove or disprove how many of those 697 reviews are corporate, no I am not calling Anadntech paid stoogies, I am talking about customer reviews, there is a difference between publisher and customer reviews. You will also notice that most of those reviews are within a 3 month period, the majority in a 2 week period! I went and skimmed tomshardware, Cnet, and newegg.

With any hardware purchase you make, you are assuming the risk that the product may be defective and will have to deal with the consequences. His advice to "avoid name brands bcs they are crap" is hardly sound in this case, which is while I felt driven to respond.

True, and I admitted that he may be jumping the gun, I still am looking at a Nec for my burner. But the fact is that Mpjesse is one of those poster, who when posts, I generally think it is sound advice and I am willing to go check something out if he, or other 'trusted' poster say something. My original statement stands, just because it gets a certain number of stars on a customer review does not mean its a great product, and sometimes personal preferences get in the way. Extremetech recomends a sony brand optical drive for their bang for buck box, yet I saw some customer reviews that said otherwise. It doesnt mean that the product is bad, it just means I need to do more research on arstechnica, tomshardware, anandatech, cnet, extremetech etc. Even then after a ton of research buying a product, especially from an online vendor, is a bit of a crap shoot like you said.

G

Well, I think we're pretty much in agreement and just splitting hairs here...

If you're in the market for a drive, check out the Plextor 740A. Newegg has a $20 MIB on it now, and so far for me it has been a great drive (no coasters yet, after about a month and 3-4 DVD burns).

It gets great reviews ... :wink:

OMG... I'm so frigin pissed right now. Never ever buy an NEC DVD burner. I've had the POS (which doesn't read half the CDs I burn from other drives) for 4 months and it's already dead. It won't read/write anything.

Don't ever buy name brand. They're all trash.

For the record I have a ND-3550A.

-mpjesse

BEHOLD - AN ANTIFANBOY IS CREATED!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

i hate MSI cause iv had all of there products (about 12 of em) all go up.

mpjesse

Splendid
Every single name brand DVD/CD drive I've ever owned (half NEC and half Pioneer) have all crapped out. I am not exaggerating.

I've got about half a dozen or so cheap lite on drives still working in my home and office. 3 are 5 years old! My current CD burner in my gaming PC was purchased in 2001. I've burned hundreds of CD's on it. No issues.

I stand my ground- name brand optical drives suck. I've probably burned about 15 DVD's on this shit NEC and it dies. Give me a break man. NEC is trash.

Oh please don't ever quote me egg ratings. They're grossly inaccurate 99% of the time.

-mpjesse

mpjesse

Splendid
Let me take this one step further- don't ever buy name brand DVD players either. I've owned about 6 DVD players over the years. You know which brand has been the best consistently? APEX.

My first Sony refused to read burned CD's.
My first JVC died
My first Pioneer wouldn't read DVD-R discs (this was just 2 years ago!)

All my APEX's have read all burned media and they all still work. Not to mention they read SVCDs way before any of those name brand clowns did.

mpjesse

Splendid
Oh and another thing (u got me all worked up), if NEC is so frigin great then why don't they offer a factory warranty on their drives? I had to get newegg to replace it.

Same goes for TDK- I had a TDK burner flake out once... tried to get it replaced and all they told me was "sorry, 90 day factory warranty."

And for the record my NEC died after 4 months of use- it wasn't defective off the line. It's just a POS to begin with.

-mpjesse

TheGreek

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I work in a computer shop and I sell Nec DVD Burners all the Time, they are among the best. I have more problems with other devices like Plextor Sony, than I have with Nec

G

...Every single name brand DVD/CD drive I've ever owned (half NEC and half Pioneer) have all crapped out...I've owned about 6 DVD players over the years..

Sounds to me like someone ought to keep you away from optical media players :wink:

mpjesse

Splendid
Well... when u have like 4 working systems in ur house and 3 in the office, stuff goes bad.

I'm just saying that I have more brand name optical drives go bad than non-brand name. Above all I think TDK is the worst. But NEC is right up there with me now...

Senator

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005
it's understandable that you're upset, but i'd wait a little bit before posting something like that again, because a lot of people on this forum take your word as bond.

ps-anecdotal evidence isn't really fair for a large production like NEC. i've got one that I bought off of eBay in an external enclosure over 1.6 years ago and it's still going strong.