backup problem

August 26, 2004 3:51:03 PM

done a backup, but found it was to big for the hard drive half way through, a
window popped up saying ran out of disk drive, so had to cancel, problem is
it has fragmented itself all over the hard drive, my laptop runs absolutely
fine no problems but i use 20 odd gig for C drive but when i look into
properties it says i only have 2gig left instead of the 30 odd i should have.
done a defrag but its showing that i need to have 15 gig free to run a proper
defrag, it lets me do it but doesnt correct the problem, the backup file has
been deleted and disk clean up run. How can i get the disk to clean up so as
i can recover the wasted space? I have got partition magic installed but
couldn't get any joy from that either.
any help appreciated

More about : backup problem

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 6:17:26 PM

If I had to guess, the process probably greatly expanded the System Restore
file store and probably the Hibernation file as well. The way to correct it
would be to temporarily turn off System Restore and turn off the hibernation
feature. NOTE: this will erase all restore points but from what you are
saying, you can't create any either because there isn't enough space on the
system. Open Control Panel, open System, go to the System Restore tab,
place a check next to "Disable System Restore" on all drives, click apply
and ok.

Now go to Display in Control Panel, go to the Screen Saver tab, click the
Power button under Monitor power, go to the Hibernate tab, remove the check
from "Enable hibernation," click apply and ok, now reboot the system and see
if you've recovered some of that space.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User