Which is the best video card in the $200-$250 price range?

John_Clark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
I have been looking to up grade my video card. I have a 500 watt PSU and one AGP x8 port, and I am hoping to find a good video card in the $200-$250 range. Some of the games it needs to run (with highest settings if possible) are Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Quake 4, Pariah, and Halo PC. Now, I have done some research, reading reviews and looking at the Toms Hardware AGP Charts. In the end, I came to think that the PNY GeForce 6600 GT might be a good deal for the price. However, after reading posts on this forum about it, I found many people saying that it's not a good video card and that there are better ones for the same price. The second one I am looking at is the GeForce 7800GS OC . Any input on that one? Could I get a few suggestions for decent cards in this price range? Thanks a bunch.

pauldh

Illustrious
A 6600GT is a fine card if your budget is $100-$150, but given your budget, grab a 6800GS at least. If you can find a 7800GS or X850XT that falls in your $200-250 budget, then go for it. At $300 or higher they are overpriced IMO.

For $199 you can get a BFG 6800GS. It spanks that way overpriced $200 6600GT in your link. Other cards to consider are the X800 GTO, X800 pro, X850 pro, X800XL, and X800XT if you can find them cheap. Online, these cards have gone up in price, but deals are still out there in some of the retail stores.

pauldh

Illustrious
Yup, ZZF (formerly Googlegear) is a great site. I buy more from them now than Newegg, as Newegg opened up NJ Warehouse/operations and now charges me sales tax. :cry:

One thing sweet with newegg now , if it's in the NJ warehouse, I can get things overnight via UPS ground. Two orders placed yesterday before work, were here just after lunch today delivered UPS ground. Last week, same thing. So I can order components thursday morning and be able to install them over the weekend; Not bad at all.