casing fan on side panel, which way?

tsf

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
i have a place for an 90 mm fan on the side panel of my casing. its directly over the processor, it was meant to exhaust the air directly outside via a pipe (i misplaced the pipe somewhere!).

any ways, do u think it will be better to place the fan in a exhaust way or should i allow air to blow in? i have a fan in the back of the casing too.

hotzak

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Think About it. If you do not have any other fans in your system which blows air into the cabinet, then it's better to have it blow air into the system and the back fan will blow the hot air outside.
Likewise, if you have atleast 1 Fan blowing air into the system (Preferably in the front), Then Stick your side Fan blowing air outside from the system.
Got it??

WHATEVER YOU DO> MAKE SURE IT'S ON AMD!

It's about the air flow. Ideally, you want fans blowing air into the case from one end and fans exhausting the air from the other end and that this airflow would cross over the major components to be cooled. Whether this flow is from front to back, back to front, top to botom, side to front, or side to back depends more on the case design and layout. Another thought is, if the cpu cooler fans are blowing the air down onto the cpu (as they should be) then you do not want the side panel that is right over top of the heatsinks exhausting the air. If so, they will be trying to use the same air to push in opposite directions, they'll be fighting each other and your cpu will be the loser. If the rear fan is exhausting air, then you would want the side and or front fans to be blowing air into the case. Another consideration is the size of the fan and/or the CFM's of the fans. Ideally, you'd want the CFM rating of the fans blowing air into the case to be about the same as the CFM rating of the fan exhausting air out of the case. This is to equalize the air pressure and to ensure a constant flow of fresh, cool air through the case and to reduce dead spots or cause stagnant airflow.

dragosgorjan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
It is better to blow over the processor, this is the best solution for this panel fan to blow in(i have 2x92 on the panel making a good work).With the other one you can make an experiment, monitor the temps when its blow air in and put him reverse to take out .You will see if is a difference on the temp monitor