Sign in with
Your question

What kind of external hard drive

Last response: in Storage
February 16, 2006 7:59:23 PM

It seems the more I learn about external hard drives, the less I know. I need info on what brand of external hard drive people have had success with. I have a Dell 8300, XP Home OS, and Service Pack 2. I have read many reviews of many externals, and am just confused. Also, I just found that XP has a Backup I can use. Can I just use the XP Backup and buy an external hard drive w/o Retrospect or a similar program, and just copy my files to that? I bascally want an external to save my stuff in case of my hard drive failing, or if I have to reinstall my OS. Again! Thanks to all who read and respond. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
February 17, 2006 8:12:19 AM

I have heard good things about the Maxtor drives with Onetouch.
It has it's own backup software and you simply press a button :p 

Click me !
February 17, 2006 8:24:55 AM

Western Digital are also good. :D 
Related resources
February 18, 2006 4:40:02 AM

The backup software sucks. I'd get a fast enclosure and add my own drive. The Vantec NexStar GX provides much better USB 2.0 transfers than the adapter Maxtor uses inside their external drive.
February 18, 2006 5:26:42 AM

Quote:
It seems the more I learn about external hard drives, the less I know. I need info on what brand of external hard drive people have had success with. I have a Dell 8300, XP Home OS, and Service Pack 2. I have read many reviews of many externals, and am just confused. Also, I just found that XP has a Backup I can use. Can I just use the XP Backup and buy an external hard drive w/o Retrospect or a similar program, and just copy my files to that? I bascally want an external to save my stuff in case of my hard drive failing, or if I have to reinstall my OS. Again! Thanks to all who read and respond. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

I would strongly advise you to consider HDDs based on the data interface first!

-1. External SCSI is by far the BEST external storage interface you can get but is too expensive so never mind.

0. external SATA 2nd fastest, reasonably reliable and quite reasonably priced. External SATA is the best interface after external SCSI.

1. USB 2.0 480mbps theoretical, actually performance is usually only a few MB/sec the only advantage USB has is that almost every PC made has a USB port.

2. Firewire, 400mbps theoretical but usually faster than USB 2.0 problem is not all PCs have a Firewire port.

I'd rate HDD Mfg's as follows:

SCSI

0. Seagate

1. WD

2. Hitachi

3. Fujitsu

4. Maxtor

IDE / PATA / SATA

0. WD

1. Seagate

2. Hitachi

4. Samsung

5. Toshiba

6. others

7. Maxtor

It will be cheaper if you get a decent HDD from WD or another good MFG and purchase your own external enclosure for it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

The 2nd setup uses an external enclosure which has SATA, FireWire and USB 2.0 all in one so that would be the most flexible option.
February 18, 2006 12:52:56 PM

I have looked at the external hard drives you mention on Ebay. They have a case and put a WD or other brand in. Can you also recommend an easy backup program? I have looked at Dantz and Acronis. I have a Dell computer with XP Home. What I am looking for is a simple to use ( I don't know much about computers) program that is reliable. Any suggestions would be great.
February 18, 2006 1:49:11 PM

Quote:
I have looked at the external hard drives you mention on Ebay. They have a case and put a WD or other brand in. Can you also recommend an easy backup program? I have looked at Dantz and Acronis. I have a Dell computer with XP Home. What I am looking for is a simple to use ( I don't know much about computers) program that is reliable. Any suggestions would be great.

Well backup software is a tough call......

I would suggest checking out http://www.cnet.com/ for advice, info and maybe a demo.

I personally use rsync.
February 20, 2006 5:46:50 PM

tag 4 the info
February 20, 2006 6:38:21 PM

You're welcome :D 

Good luck
February 21, 2006 9:07:37 PM

Right now at CompUSA you can order a IOMega Ext USB 2.0 HD, 250GB with automatic backup software for a measly $89 after rebate. Sale is only good to Friday 2/25 though.
February 26, 2006 12:38:25 PM

I too have been looking for an external HDD (see my post - Fastest External HDD Interface?) why won't external HDDs be faster than ATA 100?
1394B has tranfer spped of 800Mbs and SATA II has transfer speed of 300MBs.

Mike
February 26, 2006 4:41:04 PM

SATA is still faster and better however for the same price.
February 26, 2006 4:48:20 PM

Quote:
I too have been looking for an external HDD (see my post - Fastest External HDD Interface?) why won't external HDDs be faster than ATA 100?
1394B has transfer speed of 800Mbs and SATA II has transfer speed of 300MBs.

Mike

That's is the maximum theoretical INTERFACE bandwidth.

Your actual performance will vary quite a bit.

Many HDDs can't even sustain more than 30-60MB/sec while reading. Writes are even slower.

There are no HDDs that can sustain anything close to 150MB/sec (SATA 1) or 300MB/sec (SATA 2) yet.

For external HDDs the best / fastest interface after SCSI ( which is too expensive ) is SATA.

If you use USB or Firewire you have overhead which slows you down significantly.
February 26, 2006 11:25:57 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Mike
!