DDR3 and XDR

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
dont count on it ddr3 is still years from the pc and rambus are cheap licensing bastards :twisted: and they want the most money for every tech that they have remember the crap they put the industry a few years ago? well rambus sucks! they always have claiming ddr as their invention. drr was jointly created by samsung and a few other companies. look at jepec samsung set up jepec for licensing ddr and rambus got jealous when ppl dumped rdram and went with ddr and sued. long story short rambus sucks and ddr3 is atleast a few years away from actually being implemented in pc's.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I don't think he's looking to get a PC. He's probably one of those kids that knows nothing about hardware, and thinks that his 400$ game console will be more powerful than the most expensive PCs.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I don't think he's looking to get a PC. He's probably one of those kids that knows nothing about hardware, and thinks that his 400$ game console will be more powerful than the most expensive PCs.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 are extremely powerful for consoles, but PS3/Xbox 360 v Fx-60 + SLi/CF and it will get wiped out. I am not anti-console but I've gradually gotten away from console gaming and headed towards pc gaming. battlefield 2 ftw! (or loss if you try and snipe lol)

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
That's pretty much what I said. The Xbox360 and PS3 both produce excelent graphics for a 400$ system, but anyone who thinks you can compare a 400$ game console to a 6000-7000$ has some learning to do.

abeck_23

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006

dont think there too much bud, u would be an idiot to think that i would think a console was better than a pc. it was a simple question, mainly to know if the AM2 will use it anytime down the road. PS3 is the only thing that i knew about the XDR/DDR3 RAM. last system i ever had was a dreamcast (got it for $40) and i would rather spend $400 on a videocard just like anyone else.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
yeah but the opposite can be true too you see consoles are for one thing games and thats what they do well but pc's have to do many other things. the original playstation was more powerful than any pc when it came OUT FOR A WHILE then we have quake and 3d chips and that ended the psx's reign

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
You're incorrect. There has never actually been a console that was more powerful than every other desktop PC out.

To abeck_23, I'm sorry for assuming that. Too often do I see uneducated kids on the internet thinking their Xbox360 is more powerful than any PC.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
actually there was the n64 it beat a pentium 2 at 300 mhz and with a 3dfx card it still got pwned by nintendo when you compare the graphics of n64 to that of a pc in 96 then the n64 looked better but the loadtimes were worse off and it had too little ram for it so technically they were even btw i saw this in game informer in 96!

mig1619

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
dont count on it ddr3 is still years from the pc and rambus are cheap licensing bastards :twisted: and they want the most money for every tech that they have remember the crap they put the industry a few years ago? well rambus sucks! they always have claiming ddr as their invention. drr was jointly created by samsung and a few other companies. look at jepec samsung set up jepec for licensing ddr and rambus got jealous when ppl dumped rdram and went with ddr and sued. long story short rambus sucks and ddr3 is atleast a few years away from actually being implemented in pc's.

First GDDR3 and DDR3 are similar things but they are not the same GDDR3 is memory developed specifically for graphics using the same principal as system memory (DDR & DDR2). Second I think at least 3 of the mayor memory manufacturers (Samsung, Hynix & Elpida) have developed and tested (or so they claim) DDR3. For my personal opinion I think is gong to be mass market produced by de end of 2007 and will become mainstream in 2008. XDR IS a new technology by Rambus that claims to be the next best thin (I don’t think so) and some companies (like AMD) are buyng rights to use this technology (just in case). At last is not JEPEC is JEDEC (JEDEC stands for Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) and was not set up by SAMSUG. All the member of JEDEC, including the 5 mayor memory manufacturers (SAMSUNG, MICRON, HYNIX, INFINEON, and ELPIDA) developed DDR & DDR2 and JEDEC standardized. Rambus were part of JEDEC and at the same time they were developing Rdram and filing for patent all the specifications of DDR behind the back of JEDEC members. When Intel (RDRAM only supporter) drop RDRAM Rambus decided to sued everybody claiming they have all the patents for DDR.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Gaming magazines always overhype console power. I have an old issue of Gamepro where they rave about the PS2's graphic power and producing Toy Story like graphics.

zachsm

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
"actually there was the n64 it beat a pentium 2 at 300 mhz and with a 3dfx card it still got pwned by nintendo when you compare the graphics of n64 to that of a pc in 96 then the n64 looked better but the loadtimes were worse off and it had too little ram for it so technically they were even btw i saw this in game informer in 96!"

That number is TOO big for something like the 64. Its probably around 100 mhz. Wasn't sony's PS1 around 80 or so?[/quote]

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
You're incorrect. There has never actually been a console that was more powerful than every other desktop PC out.

To abeck_23, I'm sorry for assuming that. Too often do I see uneducated kids on the internet thinking their Xbox360 is more powerful than any PC.

Actually, Depending on its final release date, the PS3 currently has better specs than pretty much every coming PC out there. At least on paper. And I want to know where you guys are seeing the PS3 graphics to say they aren't as good, so I can take a look.

I have been impressed by what I've seen so far.

I have also seen rumors of AMD looking into licensing XDR.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Take a look at the GPU specs. They say it's an Nvidia GPU with around 300million transistors, and a 550MHz clockspeed. It looks suspiciously like the 7800 GTX.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Interesting how there can be a generation gap, yet no change in core architecture... Same transistor count and clockspeed? I don't think so.

I think you are mistaken there:

The PS3 GPU is clocked at 550MHz. This is at least 100MHz faster than the GTX specs.

What exactly do you have against the PS3 anyway?

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Take a look at the 7800 GTX 512. I myself have nothing really against the system, I just don't like false advertising. I feel the same about the Xbox360, so don't think I'm just hatin' on Sony. :)

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Looks about the same. To be fair, I am pretty sure that I saw the article before the GTX 512 was released.

I am not saying consoles are technically better, cause they are not. However, you can't build a gaming PC as good as the PS3 for the same price. And Probably not the XBOX360 either.