Second Monitor; now what?

15 answers Last reply
More about second monitor what

    "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message
    news:1kkb78dsofzco$.dlg@uni-berlin.de...

    > Hi,
    >
    > Having recently upgraded my main monitor to a nice 19" unit, I found
    > myself with a spare 17" monitor. My video card (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro)
    > doesn't have two monitor ports, so I used the little DVI-VGA
    > converter that came with the video card and plugged the 17" monitor
    > into the DVI port.
    >
    > Now what do I have to do so that I can use the second monitor for
    > things like radio stack, kneeboard and such? I've never used more
    > than one monitor for anything, so this is all very new to me.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > - --
    > Melissa
    >
    > PGP Public Keys: http://www.freewebs.com/kuviahunnihautik/

    This is how my ATI AIW 9600 pro works
    In (Windows mode!!) (Alt+Enter) --->go Views-->New View-->Cockpit (or
    whatever new view you want)or radio stack, kneeboard and such---> right
    click on the window and choose ---> Undock---.then drag the window to the
    2nd monitor ---now go back to full screen and drag the window to fill the
    screen

    I hope this helps

    Lawn Dart wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Having recently upgraded my main monitor to a nice 19" unit, I found
    > myself with a spare 17" monitor. My video card (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro)
    > doesn't have two monitor ports, so I used the little DVI-VGA
    > converter that came with the video card and plugged the 17" monitor
    > into the DVI port.
    >
    > Now what do I have to do so that I can use the second monitor for
    > things like radio stack, kneeboard and such? I've never used more
    > than one monitor for anything, so this is all very new to me.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > - --
    > Melissa

    Have you already gone into the settings menu (RGT click Desktop /
    Properties / settings /

    and done the setup there? I have a nVidea card but you should have a
    similar menu for the second monitor.

    --

    boB, SAG 70

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    "Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message
    Sorry I thought you had the 2nd monitor up and running
    Try this ..Right click on the
    desktop--->Properties---Settings--->Advanced--->Display's Tab--->and enable
    the 2nd monitor

    Once you have the 2nd monitor working it should show up
    in --->Properties---Settings where you will then be able to set different
    screen resolution for the second monitor

    P/S you can set screen resolution for the second monitor within Flightsim

    Lawn Dart wrote:
    > disappear again. Any ideas about what's going on with the kneeboard?

    Some things aren't compatible with full screen for staying visible on the
    2nd monitor, if it's a "must have" (like the ActiveSky menu, etc.) stay in
    windowed mode.........

    Lawn Dart wrote:
    > of the "undocked" extra windows, it's great! :-)

    It's also great for other more plebian chores - such as web shopping you can
    view one web site with the item displayed, then open a second browser
    window, move it to the second monitor and do some comparison shopping - or
    display a online credit card, bank balance, etc. on one, and bring up your
    budget spreadsheet on the second to consolidate things, and on, and on,
    and................ d:->))

    BTW - if you hadn't noticed, you can drag and drop your second monitor to
    the right or left of the main monitor in display setup, so it matches your
    actual physical positioning... I just happened to hit it right on my first
    encounter and didn't realize this until I moved things around....

    > In any event, I do like this second monitor setup! I would never use
    > a multiple monitor setup for displaying the "main view" of the sim,
    > as I don't like the picture broken up like that, but to display some
    > of the "undocked" extra windows, it's great! :-)

    If you haven't done it already, you can bring up the ATC menu and "undock"
    it just like the radio stack. I find it nice to have a conversation with
    ATC with an unobstructed view on the main screen.

    "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
    > Lawn Dart wrote:
    >> of the "undocked" extra windows, it's great! :-)
    >>

    > It's also great for other more plebian chores - such as web shopping you
    > can view one web site with the item displayed, then open a second browser
    > window, move it to the second monitor and do some comparison shopping - or
    > display a online credit card, bank balance, etc. on one, and bring up your
    > budget spreadsheet on the second to consolidate things, and on, and on,
    > and................ d:->))
    >
    > BTW - if you hadn't noticed, you can drag and drop your second monitor to
    > the right or left of the main monitor in display setup, so it matches your
    > actual physical positioning... I just happened to hit it right on my
    > first encounter and didn't realize this until I moved things around....

    I like my setup so I can go to spot view on the main screen and send the
    engine controls to the second. That way you can do the
    throttle/props/mixture/fuel pump/primer/mags drill and when you hit the
    starter you can watch all the wonderful smoke and flame belching out of your
    P&W radials!

    ( Much more fun than Ctrl-E !)

    Bob McKellar

    Melissa,
    How on earth do you manage with only TWO monitors? It must feel like being
    blindfolded :-)

    Cheers,

    Quilly

    An individual reply goes into my spam filter

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:21:57 -0700, Lawn Dart
    <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote:

    >Eek! What self respecting simulated bush pilot would want to have a
    >conversation with ATC?! ;-)

    Please remind us how you came by your moniker! :-)

    James

Graphics Cards Monitors PGP Video Games