Musians's Computer under $800

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Helping a friend with his first build. Using one stick of memory because it will make it easier to put in another stick when he has the $. Also will let him research the sound card. If it was just for listening to music would suggest the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 Channels 24-bit He’s not a gamer. He will use it for burning DVDs, editing Photos, the usual. He’s a musician and will be editing music and likely will want to record to the machine at some time, has a portable electronic keyboard – real high-end, which I imagine he could connect to the machine with the right card(s). Cost is an object, trying to keep it under $800. He has hard drives. One thing I like is it has 3 PCIx and 3 PCI slots on the EPoX. While I listen to a lot of music, I really don’t know anything about “professional” or really high end Audio cards and I’ll let him research this, but I’m trying to make sure he’ll be able to do whatever he wants musically and can upgrade, which is why the more slots the better. Open for MOBO suggestions but no need for SLI, again would want at least 3 PCI and at least 2 PCIx. Never have used an EpoX so would like to hear from anyone that has one. No he does not want to wait till whenever for the AMD2 or whatever. Any other suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Antec Sonata II $99.00
EpoX EP-9NPA+Ultra 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra $105.00
Saphire Radeon 1300Pro 256 MB $101.00
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 $297.00
Crucial 1GB DDR 400 Unbuffered (OEM) $85.00
Sony Internal Floppy $9.99
Light-On DVD Burner 160P6S (OEM) $39.99
EpoX EP-9NPA+Ultra 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra $105.00

purelithium

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Looks great, I have that same CPU/Mobo combo and I love it. I'm not a gamer either, and I use this as a general purpose Music/Video machine. The Epox is the best you will find for the money. Guaranteed.

You should be able to find a cheaper version of that Sonata 2. That seems steep to me. Also, what is he going to do for a hard drive? i suggest that if he'll be doing lots of sound editing that you get him some more ram and a fast harddrive.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
That's seems to be about right price for the Sonata II and I agree it's pricey. I have the Sonata and it's really quiet. I'm thinking if he's doing a lot of music, the quieter the better. But definitely could go down on the case. Agree on more ram but he can always get another stick in the next couple months.

kyleawesome

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Yeah, I never personally owned one, but I've played around with them at some shops around here. Very sweet. Plus he has the ability to you Pro-Tools later on...

But all M-Audio gear is super good quality!

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I find BTX Intel computer to be a great tool for musicians and alike. First BTX are quite and with xf-i soundcard would be a great tool for music editing and recording. Most BTX with a 820 cpu range around $500-$700 and with the xf-i around $90-$100. I have the XF-i sound card and uses it for both music/movies and gaming application. It's pretty good with my bose 2.1 speakers and headphone. I don't about 5.1 or 7.1 though.

kyleawesome

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
I personally dont know about that...

Normally laying down lines, you'll have drums (mic'ed 4-8) speaker cabs, keys (using midi perhaps), vox... Granted you could run all those into a mixer and just use the main outs in the X-fi. But when you being in ioslated FX loops, midi ability, word clock, not to mention monitors, a normal sound card just isnt up to the task.

But I will give Chuckshissle mucho credit for coming up with a good low(er) price solution because I know I would drop 300.00 for a sound card at the drop of a hat. :)

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Im a cost concious person. Its hard to make money with an honest work you know. Im a college student and work part time, so I don't have much deniro to be a big baller. But I spend money on a 6 pack like its cool. :D

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Not really sure what the diference is between BTX and ATX other than it looks like the BTX is smaller. Checking out cases it looks like you can get what used to be known as a desktop case but they don't have as many slots so probably better off with a BTX tower. Whats the advantage of BTX? While I don't want to start an endless fanboy fight between Intel and AMD, I'm an agnostic, everrything I've read recently seems to be saying AMD dual core outperforms Intel, at least at the cost point of X2 3800, which is why I'm leaning towards AMD. I'm certainly open to looking at the BTX with the Intel 820 you suggest.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Well, BTX are more effecient and are quiter and cooler and usually have only two fans for cooling including the cpu heatsink. An 820 BTX goes around for $500-$800. Good value and effecient.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I find BTX Intel computer to be a great tool for musicians and alike. First BTX are quite and with xf-i soundcard would be a great tool for music editing and recording. Most BTX with a 820 cpu range around $500-$700 and with the xf-i around $90-$100. I have the XF-i sound card and uses it for both music/movies and gaming application. It's pretty good with my bose 2.1 speakers and headphone. I don't about 5.1 or 7.1 though.

Is this the MOBO and CUP your reaferring to?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16813121285

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116226

Actually with this MOBO would be about $85 or so more expensive, AMD MOBO $105 and Intil $201 CPUs are about the same price. Also looks like far fewer choices for a case and so likely more expensive. Is this correct? Also, would the other pieces parts work with the BTX?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
The cpu is right but for the mobo its 945G chipset. This is good for applications other than gaming its limited when it comes to ugrading for extreme performance. One of my system is this set up with xf-i soundcard. It usually for browsing, music, burning and stuff. I have a 7800GT in it and it plays games as well.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Thanks. Think the ATX might be better because he is not likely to buy a new one for 4 years or more so easy upgrades will be important. Don't know the specs of his current machine but sounds like he could donate it to the Smithsonian once he has the new one. :D