Are there any other phones that will work with a GAIT plan?

Last response: in Network Providers
September 1, 2004 8:45:21 PM

I have bought 2 of those Nokia 6340i's and 1 Sony Ericsson T62u phone to try
with a Cingular GAIT plan and after using each for a day or 2 I think I like
the Sony better. It's battery life is not as good as the Nokia and I
already knew it was going to be that way after reading the specifications of
each but, the transmitted and received audio quality of the Sony is worlds
better than either of the Nokia's I bought off Ebay. My next question is
whether there have been any phones that were GAIT compatible that you could
call up Cingular and have activated besides those 2 models? I'd also like
to know if there are any firmware updates that I need to have done to a
T62u? Thanks in advance.

Ben

More about : phones work gait plan

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 3:43:49 AM

In article <DprZc.71091$JG7.52901@hydra.nntpserver.com>,
dynosaurREMOVE@wolfplayer.us says...
> I have bought 2 of those Nokia 6340i's and 1 Sony Ericsson T62u phone to try
> with a Cingular GAIT plan and after using each for a day or 2 I think I like
> the Sony better. It's battery life is not as good as the Nokia and I
> already knew it was going to be that way after reading the specifications of
> each but, the transmitted and received audio quality of the Sony is worlds
> better than either of the Nokia's I bought off Ebay. My next question is
> whether there have been any phones that were GAIT compatible that you could
> call up Cingular and have activated besides those 2 models? I'd also like
> to know if there are any firmware updates that I need to have done to a
> T62u? Thanks in advance.
>
> Ben

That's the only two real GAIT phones, i.e. GSM, TDMA, and AMPS--and
apparently no more will be made (BIG SIGH). Once the GSM sim card is
used in the GAIT phone it can be moved back and forth between the GAIT
phone and a GSM-only phone without involving a CSR. Someone has said
that if you try to activate a GSM-only phone on a GAIT plan--and it's
your only phone--then they will insist you downgrade (err, I mean
convert) to a GSM-only plan.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

In <DprZc.71091$JG7.52901@hydra.nntpserver.com> on Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:45:21
-0500, "DynoSauR" <dynosaurREMOVE@wolfplayer.us> wrote:

>I have bought 2 of those Nokia 6340i's and 1 Sony Ericsson T62u phone to try
>with a Cingular GAIT plan and after using each for a day or 2 I think I like
>the Sony better. It's battery life is not as good as the Nokia and I
>already knew it was going to be that way after reading the specifications of
>each but, the transmitted and received audio quality of the Sony is worlds
>better than either of the Nokia's I bought off Ebay. My next question is
>whether there have been any phones that were GAIT compatible that you could
>call up Cingular and have activated besides those 2 models?

Nope -- them are it.

>I'd also like
>to know if there are any firmware updates that I need to have done to a
>T62u? Thanks in advance.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

September 2, 2004 4:21:40 PM

Jud Hardcastle wrote:

-- Snip --

> That's the only two real GAIT phones, i.e. GSM, TDMA, and AMPS--and
> apparently no more will be made (BIG SIGH). Once the GSM sim card is
> used in the GAIT phone it can be moved back and forth between the GAIT
> phone and a GSM-only phone without involving a CSR. Someone has said
> that if you try to activate a GSM-only phone on a GAIT plan--and it's
> your only phone--then they will insist you downgrade (err, I mean
> convert) to a GSM-only plan.

The only other thing I would add and this is rather strange, if you have
a gsm only plan with Cingular and you try to use that sim card in a
Nokia 6340i the phone will only connect via tdma and even then when you
try to dial any number all you get Cingular's Customer service. However,
and here is the strange part. If you have your 6340i unlocked and you
try to use a T-mobile or At&t sim card in the phone, the phone will work
just like any other unocked gsm phone, just not Cingular sim cards. This
might be something that happens in just the D/FW area, but I have
several GAIT user who I encouraged to move to the "Media Works" package
which requires a GSM only plan, that are disappointed they can't use
their 6340i's any more.
!