XBOX 360 vs. PS3 vs. Revolution

Who will win this round of the console war?

• Total voters

gentrie2001

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
I'm posting this topic in this catagory because I want to discuss the hardware and not the games for them. so...

Who do you think has (or will have) the best hardware/performance and who do you think will win this round of the console war:

Microsoft's XBOX 360,
Sony's Playstation 3, or
Nintendo's Revolution

Sound off! Fanboys welcome here as long as they remain objective.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
ps3 best graphics and rpg's(japan loves da fantasy genre)xbox will have the best action games(cause america and britian love da action genre)and the revolution will have family games and mario(who doesnt love a plumber :D )and it will be the budget consloe that could. just my thoughts

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Ignoring games, PS3 will have the best hardware. Their paper specs are out of this world. With games, its hard to tell. It depends on how long it takes programmers to really understand the cell processor's capabilities.

I think Microsoft released XBOX360 too early, and it will hurt them. XBOX wasn't tapped out yet, and they are a bit ahead of PS3, which allows all the XBOX hype to die down before PS3 debuts.

I think Sony will win again, XBOX360 will gain market share (except in Japan where sales absolutely suck), and Nintendo will become a niche system.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
The PS3 is supposed to have 2x the processing power of the Xbox 360. I think the 360 is rated at 1 teraflop and the PS3 (on paper) is at 2 TFs.

Also its going to use the new Cell processor, but I don't know how good that is supposed to be.
Probably be less power hungry than the 360 though - 360 is supposed to munch 250W.

Playstation's always won because they actually have good games. Really, the only reason I got my Xbox (regular) was Halo, Halo 2, and Knights of the Old Republic.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I think the teraflop calculations don't include the GPU, they are a measure of the processor only.

Eitehr way, its irrelevent, as they are the same for the XBOX360, so twice as much is twice as much.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Hardware wise, I'll say the PS3. My friend has an Xbox360, and it's nothing special. The Revolution could be interesting for their game style, and console design; no testosterone filled powertrip here.

gentrie2001

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Personally I think the PS3 will be the most powerful of the three thanks to is cell processor and physics engine. However, the XBOX 360 will probably have the lead for quite a while since it came out first. Sony had that advantage with it's Playstation 2 and even until now there's no catching up to them (as far as the PS2 is concerned). I think this time Nintendo might make a lagrer impact than they did with the Gamecube if they go through with their plans to make all their games from the NES to the N64 downloadable and playable on the revolution. That would be awesome!

I hope the PS3 comes out this spring as planned. I'm planning to camp out when it does. Anyone else planning to do the same?

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
For PS2, I pre bought it (Paid the whole thing off up front), walked in with no line, walked out, went home, and played. I know I won't get away with that again, if I buy it at launch.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
True,

I have never been, nor will I ever be, that desperate for a game machine.

FYI, for the money people were paying on E-bay, they could have flown to Tokyo and bought one of the thousands sitting on the shelves. :lol:

sixbone

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Check out the article below. Developers say the 360 and PS3 are pretty much on par. PS3 looks superior on paper, it will come down to the developers.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060212-6162.html

As EA continues to pump out sequel after sequel each year, their games suck compared to a game that's been developed for much longer than that. NFS Underground was a great game and only got worse with time. NFS MW is fun as hell but a pile of crap compared to a well developed came like PGR3.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Im waiting for PS3. 8 core cell processor sounds really good to me. With Nvidias graphics for eye-candy. Have you seen some of the real time rendering the PS3 can do. Like Killzone and Friday Night Fight boxing. It looks awesome, as if it's running on dual core with sli. It will blow XBox 360 out of the water, well granted the 360 is older. But the increase from the PS2 is so significant. I don't know much of the Revolution.

The only reason Im buying the PS3 is my old favorite Gran Turismo. :D

Lead_Head

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
From what I have heard, around the Futuremark forums and other places. PS3's RSX is just a 7800GTX on 90nm. The Xbox 360's ATI GPU is as good/better as a x1900 XTX...so...which beats the 7800gtx.. And the cell is not 8 *true* cores. Its 1 fully functional core with 7 little cores which cant do much.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
We are over looking one small factor. How long has sony been in the gaming/entertainment business (games, consoles and such)? How long has Microsoft been in the same business. I know they are competiting directly but Sony has a few iterations on Micrsoft, not to mention thier entire business is based around designing electronics.

I'm not saying Microsoft doesn't try and design electronics also, but thier core competency has been Operating systems and software for a long time. The Xbox 360, as well as the Xbox, are designed to craft a reputation and build up a base market. The long term goal with the Xbox line is to create an all in one entertainment system that fully itegrates with periphrials and Windows PC's.

Last time I checked that wasn't Sony's overall goal, though they are starting to steer in that direction. Microsoft has more of a long term goal with the Xbox line than to just overpower Sony. Sony makes a good console but I was never comfratable with the controller, it was too small for me. Each console has its strengths and weakness, I mean who can compare with Halo (lets not argue that here).

Trying to determine a winner is damned near impossible, because even with the superior hardware if no programmer cant utilize it because its so complex then you've wasted your time and effort.

I'm posting this topic in this catagory because I want to discuss the hardware and not the games for them. so...

Who do you think has (or will have) the best hardware/performance and who do you think will win this round of the console war:

Microsoft's XBOX 360,
Sony's Playstation 3, or
Nintendo's Revolution

Sound off! Fanboys welcome here as long as they remain objective.

OK, But how can you discuss hardware for these three systems when only one of them has been released?