Newbie needs mapping help

Last response: in Networking
October 19, 2004 8:06:28 PM

Hi Group

Yesterday I couldn't spell VPN. Today I managed to establish communications
between 2 XP machines, but I have absolutely no clue as how to do the
mapping so I can see the remote share.

If anyone could give me some pointers or head me in the right direction it
would be greatly appreciated. I've Googled, but I can't find anything that
makes sense to me.

Thanks in advance.

John

More about : newbie mapping

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 12:04:41 AM

John Simpson wrote:
> Hi Group
>
> Yesterday I couldn't spell VPN. Today I managed to establish communications
> between 2 XP machines, but I have absolutely no clue as how to do the
> mapping so I can see the remote share.

My favorite way is to pull up a console window, and use the "net use"
command. So, if your remote computer is "John_B" with share called
"share_B" and you're on "John_A" or whatever, the command is "net use *
\\john_b\share_b". That will give you a drive designation, like "f:" on
John_A for accessing the remote share. To get rid of it, the command is
"net use f: /delete".
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 12:04:42 AM

<ppointer@nospamindspring.com> wrote in message
> John Simpson wrote:
> > Hi Group
> >
> > Yesterday I couldn't spell VPN. Today I managed to establish
communications
> > between 2 XP machines, but I have absolutely no clue as how to do the
> > mapping so I can see the remote share.
> >
> My favorite way is to pull up a console window, and use the "net use"
> command. So, if your remote computer is "John_B" with share called
> "share_B" and you're on "John_A" or whatever, the command is "net use *
> \\john_b\share_b". That will give you a drive designation, like "f:" on
> John_A for accessing the remote share. To get rid of it, the command is
> "net use f: /delete".

I tried that: "net use z: \\dell2400\c". The error was "The network path was
not found". I use network drive mapping on a daily basis, but I have no idea
of how to do it in a VPN environment.
I even tried: "net use z: \\<remote PC IP Address>\c" with no luck.

John
October 20, 2004 7:03:37 AM

John Simpson wrote:
> I tried that: "net use z: \\dell2400\c". The error was "The network path was
> not found". I use network drive mapping on a daily basis, but I have no idea
> of how to do it in a VPN environment.
> I even tried: "net use z: \\<remote PC IP Address>\c" with no luck.

In that case, we'll need more information about your setup. I use PPTP
all of the time and can "net use" remote shares at will.
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 8:04:37 PM

<ppointer@nospamindspring.com> wrote in message
news:D Akdd.2553$mP6.814@fe1.columbus.rr.com...
> John Simpson wrote:
> > I tried that: "net use z: \\dell2400\c". The error was "The network path
was
> > not found". I use network drive mapping on a daily basis, but I have no
idea
> > of how to do it in a VPN environment.
> > I even tried: "net use z: \\<remote PC IP Address>\c" with no luck.
> >
> In that case, we'll need more information about your setup. I use PPTP
> all of the time and can "net use" remote shares at will.

OK, here goes.

The client PC is a Dell2350 running XP Pro connected to a Netgear MR814
wired/wireless router.
The remote PC (VPN server) is a Dell 2400 running XP Pro connected to
another Netgear MR814 router. There are cable modems on each end with
seldom, if never, changing IP addresses. As stated on the box, the 814's
feature "Static and dynamic routing with TCP/IP, VPN pass-through (IPSec,
L2TP), NAT, PPTP, PPPoE, DCHP".

The connection is being made by the XP software, meaning there is no 3rd
party software. The gateway on the client end is 192.168.0.1 with a total of
three PC's on the network. The gateway on the server end is also
192.168.0.1, with a single PC and a Panasonic KX-HCM10 camera with a
built-in web server (192.168.0.253). The remote end is also has FTP server
software running on it (Ipswitch).

I can make the connection fine, but cannot see any shares. I'm sure that
this is a mapping issue, but as a total VPN idiot, I don't know where to go
from here.

John
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 12:08:26 AM

John Simpson wrote:
> The connection is being made by the XP software, meaning there is no 3rd
> party software. The gateway on the client end is 192.168.0.1 with a total of
> three PC's on the network. The gateway on the server end is also
> 192.168.0.1, with a single PC and a Panasonic KX-HCM10 camera with a
> built-in web server (192.168.0.253). The remote end is also has FTP server
> software running on it (Ipswitch).

Try changing your subnet on one end to something else. It's probably
simpler with the remote side client. So, for example, change the remote
router's IP address to 192.168.1.whatever. What I am guessing is
happening is that your server is not being allowed to supply your remote
client with an IP address, which is fine, but you definitely don't want
to have multiple systems in your network with the same IP.
!