Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

NDB approaches & flights

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 6:41:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi all

In a different thread (obviosly) Peter jokingly said: "Ditch the GPS
and bring back NDB approaches, I say."

On short, VFR flights I quite enjoy flinding my way around using NDBs.
Usually, I merely write down or copy to the notes section of the
kneeboard a list of the beacons. When feeling exceptionally brave, I
keep a note of my speed (I do these flights in zero wind) and time
taken, and try to calculate my position.

I find the in-air navigation quite simple; the approach phase is a tad
more tricky.

Is this method ever used IRL? I'd guess the answer is yes to the
second part so I'm really asking about the NDB to NDB metod of
navigation.

Cheers
James

More about : ndb approaches flights

April 30, 2005 2:46:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

James Hodson wrote:
> Hi all
>
> In a different thread (obviosly) Peter jokingly said: "Ditch the GPS
> and bring back NDB approaches, I say."
>
> On short, VFR flights I quite enjoy flinding my way around using NDBs.
> Usually, I merely write down or copy to the notes section of the
> kneeboard a list of the beacons. When feeling exceptionally brave, I
> keep a note of my speed (I do these flights in zero wind) and time
> taken, and try to calculate my position.
>
> I find the in-air navigation quite simple; the approach phase is a tad
> more tricky.
>
> Is this method ever used IRL? I'd guess the answer is yes to the
> second part so I'm really asking about the NDB to NDB metod of
> navigation.
>
> Cheers
> James


Well, Yeah. Usually it's prudent to have a sectional along as well
but there were a couple times I didn't have a map. Once I threw it out
the door because the co-pilot was yelling he wanted to see it (I don't
do well with people yelling at me.) :)  , second, trying to open one in
an OH-58 with no doors and the wind caught it and out it went, and 3d,
had the map, but it was in the ammo bay. 2 out of the 3 times it was NDB
Nav and memory.

--

boB, SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 2:47:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

James Hodson <jUNDERSCOREhodson@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote:

> Is this method ever used IRL? I'd guess the answer is yes to the
> second part so I'm really asking about the NDB to NDB metod of
> navigation.

I believe that NDBs are still very heavily used throughout Canada. In the
US, NDBs still contribute to the national airway system, but VORs are by
far the major component (and hence, used more frequently for en route
navigation).

An interesting fact: ADF radios can also be tuned to AM radio frequencies.
Not only could a pilot navigate using an AM radio tower, they could listen
to AM radio's broadcast over the ADF radio. Satellite radio in the
cockpit? Who need it!

For many years US-oriented VFR sectional charts included AM towers and
their frequencies for just this reason. Looking over my sectional chart
now, though, I don't see this.

BTW, there is a plan in the US to eliminate many NDB approaches at airports
nationwide as long as the airports are served by other approaches.


--
Peter


















----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 11:32:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:47:17 -0400, pr <nope@nospam.com> wrote:

>James Hodson <jUNDERSCOREhodson@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Is this method ever used IRL? I'd guess the answer is yes to the
>> second part so I'm really asking about the NDB to NDB metod of
>> navigation.
>
>I believe that NDBs are still very heavily used throughout Canada. In the
>US, NDBs still contribute to the national airway system, but VORs are by
>far the major component (and hence, used more frequently for en route
>navigation).

[SNIPPED here and there]

Thanks Peter & Bob

I asked simply because as well as my occasional flight planning with
NDBs I sometimes take off with no particular place to go. (I feel a
song coming on.)

For example, I could take off from Edinbrough with the intention to
fly a round route to land at the same place. I might well fly via
Aberdeen, Inverness, the Great Glen (Lock Ness area), south down the
west coast of Scotland then east towards Glasgow and finally more east
to land at my place of departure. NDBing gives me more to think about
(IMO) although I could, of course, do the flight using VORs or a
mixture of VORs and NDB.

Peter: It's a shame that FS8 is not capable of tuning in to real life
radio stations :-)

I don't have any sectional charts, BTW.

Cheers
James
May 2, 2005 1:40:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

James Hodson wrote:

>
> Peter: It's a shame that FS8 is not capable of tuning in to real life
> radio stations :-)
>
> I don't have any sectional charts, BTW.
>
> Cheers
> James

If you want to navigate using sectionals I'm afraid you must fly (now
anyway) in the USA. I believe all the US sectionals are downloadable
(is that a word?) from AVSIM

--

boB,
Master_Caution_70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 7:19:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
news:p 1cde.50696$hu5.17903@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> If you want to navigate using sectionals I'm afraid you must fly (now
> anyway) in the USA.

I do not understand what you mean by the above remark? Could you please
explain what you mean?

Cheers
Peter Cokley
May 2, 2005 7:19:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Peter and Susan wrote:

> "boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
> news:p 1cde.50696$hu5.17903@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> > If you want to navigate using sectionals I'm afraid you must fly (now
>
>>anyway) in the USA.
>
>
> I do not understand what you mean by the above remark? Could you please
> explain what you mean?
>
> Cheers
> Peter Cokley
>
>
>
>
>

Hi Peter,

Sorry that was confusing. Sometimes I confuse myself. :) 

If you want to plan a flight using free sectionals, AVSIM has all the
sectionals covering the USA.

If you want to follow along on a sectional as you are flying, a second
monitor would work well, but since most people have only one monitor,
you'll have to ALT-TAB out of the sim, check the sectional, find where
you are on the sectional and fly on.

Finally, if you want a moving map where you can see where you are, AVSIM
has the utility to do that also.

--

boB,
Master_Caution_70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 7:19:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

boB,
'Sectionals' is a word used pretty well only in the USA. In the UK and many
other places we talk about Aeronautical Charts. When I first read the word
'Sectionals' I had absolutely no idea what they were.

(In England it could mean something to do with being put into a lunatic
asylum :-); being sectioned is to be classified as possibly mad.

Quilly
May 3, 2005 3:55:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Quilljar wrote:
> boB,
> 'Sectionals' is a word used pretty well only in the USA. In the UK and many
> other places we talk about Aeronautical Charts. When I first read the word
> 'Sectionals' I had absolutely no idea what they were.
>
> (In England it could mean something to do with being put into a lunatic
> asylum :-); being sectioned is to be classified as possibly mad.
>
> Quilly
>
>

Hi Q,

My name is on that message but I don't remember ever writing it!!!

I even went back and read previous posts.

--

boB,
Master_Caution_70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:00:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

> Hi Q,
>
> My name is on that message but I don't remember ever writing it!!!
>
> I even went back and read previous posts.



Not to worry, My point was a general one anyway.
But to ease your mind I have this as coming from your keyboard I thought?

>If you want to navigate using sectionals I'm afraid you must fly (now
>anyway) in the USA. I believe all the US sectionals are downloadable .(is
>that a word?) from AVSIM

--

>boB,
>Master_Caution_70

>U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
>Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)

--
Cheers,

Quilly


An individual reply goes into my spam filter
May 4, 2005 12:03:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Quilljar wrote:
>>Hi Q,
>>
>
> Not to worry, My point was a general one anyway.
> But to ease your mind I have this as coming from your keyboard I thought?
>
>
>>If you want to navigate using sectionals I'm afraid you must fly (now
>>anyway) in the USA. I believe all the US sectionals are downloadable .(is
>>that a word?) from AVSIM
>
>

I remember that one. After reading it several times, it still makes no
sense.

--

boB,
Master_Caution_70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
!