what's error 720?

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

I have been using my laptop to do VPN for a while with no problem and I
recently trying to set up my desktop to do the job with no success.

The work place VPN is accessed through an IP and then I search and access my
work computer by entering the computer name.
First, I have to access the VPN by clicking on an already setup icon (like
the monitor icon shows up when my LAN is connected).
For some reason, the setup of that connection always fails after verifying
username and password (or even before that, I am not quite sure)

What's wrong with my desktop setting that is stopping me from VPN? I can
not even get to the remote desktop stage. The connection falied right away
and showing redial in 60 seconds...

Am i missing something?

Thanks first fro any tip.

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

BTW,

Both my laptop and desktop are connected to the same router and then my Cox
system.
There must be some network setting problem or firewall thing?

Harry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using my laptop to do VPN for a while with no problem and I
> recently trying to set up my desktop to do the job with no success.
>
> The work place VPN is accessed through an IP and then I search and access my
> work computer by entering the computer name.
> First, I have to access the VPN by clicking on an already setup icon (like
> the monitor icon shows up when my LAN is connected).
> For some reason, the setup of that connection always fails after verifying
> username and password (or even before that, I am not quite sure)
>
> What's wrong with my desktop setting that is stopping me from VPN? I can
> not even get to the remote desktop stage. The connection falied right away
> and showing redial in 60 seconds...
>
> Am i missing something?
>
> Thanks first fro any tip.

For starters, please tells us what type of VPN you have. There are at
least 3 common types I can think of off the top of my head - ipsec, l2tp
and GRE.

all three work in very different ways.

What type of devices is managing the VPN connection on the work end?

Need to know this before we can even begin to try to troubleshoot.

-Sean

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Device Name WAN Miniport
Device Type vpn
Server type PPP
Transports TCP/IP
Authentication MS CHAP V2
Encryption MPPE 128
Compression MPPC
PPP Multilink framing Off
Server IP Address 10.0.1.11
Client IP address 10.0.1.34

what else should I provide and where are they?

Thanks