SATA power connectors - 3.3v necessary?

BigBambi

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I've been looking for a new psu for a while now, and have noticed some that are marked ATX2.2 and 'SATA ready' use adaptors from molex for the SATA power.

I assume this means that they do not have the 3.3V power line - how important is this? Does it mean that some drives will not work, and is this going to happen more in the future?

Thanks very much

G

I have never seen a HDD that wouldn't work with the adaptor that indeed does not provide v3.3.

However I have seen reports online that certain SATA-connected solid state disks use v3.3. Also, it may be that HDD will use v3.3 instead of v5 when it is available and heat less, since most industrial chips will run on anything between v3.3 and v5.

eddu

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
It plays an important part in that for example many notebook 2.5" hdds will not work if not supplied with a 3.3v in their supply. This is probably so in order to use less power which is limited in notebooks. On desktops however the lack of 3.3v in the supply to an hdd should not be critical.

The sata standard does state that there be a 3.3v line in the supply but it is totally up to the manufacturers of the hdd to use it or not. It is thus manufacture andmaybe even model dependent.

TRENDING THREADS