Sign in with
Your question

Asus A8N-SLI Premium

Last response: in Motherboards
February 17, 2006 12:41:59 PM

I've just purchased components to upgrade my system and I'm not familiar with the "heat pipe" design to cool the CPU, etc. <- n00b again

I've been reading a great deal of reviews and forum threads about aftermarket cooling solutions and I'm wondering how exactly does the heat pipe cool the CPU if people are installing the Zalman CNPS9500 FHS with the A8N-SLI Premium.

Is is possible to install this fan and leave the heat pipe untouched, or is the heat pipe removed to make way for the FHS?

System will look like this.. (today! knowing how FEDEX gets things done ;)  and assuming none of the components are DOA *knocks on wood*)

Asus A8N-SLI Premium Mobo
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo
Corsair XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 400/PC 3200
Leadtek Geforce 7800GTX
Zalman VF700-CU 2 Ball VGA Cooler
Antec HE 550w PSU
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
~
All other components are from previous system.. HDD / DVD / Case, etc.

I don't care if my box is loud.. I just want it kept cool. As you can see, I haven't ordered the Zalman CNPS9500 FHS. I noticed that in some people's signatures in forums, they show both the A8N-SLI Premium / Zalman CNPS9500 installed and they noted their approval for this particular fan/heat sink.. however, they didn't say if they had to modify anything, remove the heat pipe cooling system, or just install it on top of what's already there.

Any advice or knowledge you can pass on would be greatly appreciated. As well as what I can do to cool any additional chipsets if necessary. I'm looking for a total cooling solution, and I'm a little skeptical about having liquid inside my computer.

I already know I need to invest in a new case but I'm having a difficult time making an informed decision.

/end novel

More about : asus a8n sli premium

February 17, 2006 12:48:45 PM

with thoes parts make sure your case has tons of airflow.

the heatpipe only cools the motherboard, not the cup.
February 17, 2006 5:11:57 PM

Ah, I see.. well, it will be here today. So I'll get a better look at it I suppose and have more of an idea about how to cool it.

Thanks for your help.
Related resources
February 19, 2006 10:19:27 PM

Quote:
Asus A8N-SLI Premium Mobo
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo
Corsair XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 400/PC 3200
Leadtek Geforce 7800GTX
Zalman VF700-CU 2 Ball VGA Cooler
Antec HE 550w PSU
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
/end novel

I am just wondering are you getting the ANTEC Neo power High Efficiency 550w power supply? Because I have heard it has problems with ANTEC mobos unless u upgrade the bios or get one of the lucky revised new ones.
February 19, 2006 11:20:13 PM

Quote:
with thoes parts make sure your case has tons of airflow.

the heatpipe only cools the motherboard, not the cup.
dont you mean cpu btw i like the a8n-sli premium better than any other sli mobo cause the heatpipe is the most efficient next to this one but with fans its this one
February 21, 2006 10:23:40 PM

the heat pipe can just be left alone, its low down enough that it doest get in the way, and cools the chipset quite well.
February 24, 2006 7:18:41 PM

Everything worked great straight out of the box :D  I used the AMD fan and heatsink, but I'll be installing a Zalman in place of it shortly.. it's doing fine as it is, but I just like all the shiny copper on a Zalman :p 

Yes, the PSU is the High Efficiency model (Antec Neo HE 550w) and I haven't had any issues at all.

I didn't have one hitch setting up this system with the above mentioned components.. so I would imagine all the people griping about all the problems they're having could be because they don't know how to take advice from people setting things up.

I haven't started overclocking yet, but I haven't seen a need for it ;) 
February 25, 2006 10:12:46 AM

Quote:
I would imagine all the people griping about all the problems they're having could be because they don't know how to take advice from people setting things up.

Or... your just lucky !
!