need help ,my ddr ram is burning

catch8_2

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I just buy DDR400 ram today.I install it to my pc ,but unfortunately i mistakenly install the RAM up-end.Then the RAM is starting to burning.
Can i still possibly got a warranty.Or how can i eliminate the burning smell from the RAM so the guy at the computer shop dont know,so then i can get a warranty.
Please help me.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I just buy DDR400 ram today.I install it to my pc ,but unfortunately i mistakenly install the RAM up-end.Then the RAM is starting to burning.
Can i still possibly got a warranty.Or how can i eliminate the burning smell from the RAM so the guy at the computer shop dont know,so then i can get a warranty.
Please help me.

What do you mean ram up-end? :?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
You can only install the ram in one direction. There is a notch on the pin to prevent it from going the wrong way. Unless you kick it into the slot, it can't go the wrong way. Maybe you put it while the power is on? If not then the ram is just bad to start with. Unless your ram voltage is over 4.0volts then your ram will start cooking. So it's now bad right, RMA it. As for the burning smell, wash it. Its already burnth to a crisp. Hope the warranty would cover it.

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
yes, i did that once. This is stupid. Do not do this unless really hate your RAM. I accidentally installed the RAM in backwards, and it did go in - halfway. I was wondering why all the fans were running but it wouldn't boot. after a few minutes i checked the memory. OHH CRAP?. i powered down and pulled out the modules and burnt my fingers in the process. memory still goes perfectly tho

bunkgoats

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I did this once with video ram on a Compaq back when a pentium 233mmx was the thing to have. I pulled it out and reinserted it the correct way and it worked just fine.

s4fun

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Why should anyone help you cover up your screw-up to cheat the vendor by abusing the warranty? Have you no shame? Own up to your screw-up, own the fried memory as a precious lesson, and a trophy, battle scar or whatever. Frame it, and put it on the wall a reminder to double check all things before powering up.

FYI, I cooked my athlon1.3 ghz back in 2002 in a foolish attempt to measure its max temperature without a heatsink. Live an learn.