Hot Swapable HDD Controller

Total

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
I am currently working for a company where we frequently have to remove a workstations HDD and connect it to the workrooms PC to access the drive. I have been looking for a low cost solution to not having to shut down and start up our workroom PC when connecting or disconnecting drives.

So far I have had a hard time locating a PCI hard drive controller card that supports hot swaping drives. I can locate RAID controllers that do support this, but am not sure how WindowsXP would react to having a non RAID drive connected and have some concerns about risk to the data on a drive if the controller would want to attempt to build or rebuild an array in this situation.

Does anyone know of a HDD controller that can do what I what, or some other solution that can accomplish what I need at low cost? Any advise, recommendations or feedback would be appreciated.

bagg

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
You could try an external USB 2.0 enclosure. Just take the drive out of the original machine and install it into the usb enclosure. That would definitely be cheaper than a hot-swappable RAID controller and for what you are needing would likely fit the bill better. Of course this is assuming the drives are SATA or IDE and not SCSI.