Just got new DELL and FS9!!

Just got a new Dell PC and FS9....
P4 3 ghz
1gb ram
160gb hd
17 inch flat panel monitor
128mb video ram

Any suggestions for just getting goin? I'm going to download the patch, all
must have files from flightsim.com, and all the vatsim requirements like
squakbox, etc.

What about joystick suggestions? Not looking to get something high end.

DB

Ok, y'all got me curious and I went out and got me an 80 gig HD and put it
as slave to my existing 40 gigger

I partitioned it with 47 gig for FS and 32 gig for misc stuff...now for the
stupid question for which I'm sure I know the answer to...

....do I just move the current install of FS into the new drive, or just do a
fresh install into it?

Damian
whom is a little brain fried at the moment

Damian wrote:

> ...do I just move the current install of FS into the new drive, or
just do a
> fresh install into it?

The anser depends. Do you have panel designers, Ultimate Traffic-type
utilities, or any other third party sim applications installed under
the FS directory?

If so, then you will probably benefit from doing a fresh install, but
use your old install to copy over your add-ons such as terrain files,
texture upgrades, and add-on aircraft.

If you don't have any utilities installed under your FS folder, then
you should be able to safely copy the folder over to the new hard drive
and run it right from there. I would then recommend using REGEDIT to
change any reference of the old FS directory to the new directory.
There should only be a couple of registry entries needing to be
changed.

Note that I used the word "copy," not "move." Keep the original
install as a backup, in the event that something goes wrong and you
have to perform a re-install, you will be able to pull out your add-ons
from your original install and copy them into your new install.

--
Peter

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I would go for the fresh install.
"DB" <nospam@ucg.net> wrote in message news:lbyfe.16881$FE3.3759@fe12.lga...
> Ok, y'all got me curious and I went out and got me an 80 gig HD and put it
> as slave to my existing 40 gigger
>
> I partitioned it with 47 gig for FS and 32 gig for misc stuff...now for
> the stupid question for which I'm sure I know the answer to...
>
> ...do I just move the current install of FS into the new drive, or just do
> a fresh install into it?
>
> Damian
> whom is a little brain fried at the moment

DB

Thanks both.

Peter, I have 3rd party a/c and PAI, so what I did is move those files to a
temp folder and uninstalled FS. I'll do a fresh install on the new
partition and then move the files back where they belong. I always keep the
payware a/c installers and licences so putting those back is no problem.

Damian

TRENDING THREADS