Plz Help Out a Stranger!!!

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Hello...Im very new to Linux. I don't know which distribution will be good for me. I've read the other posts and they suggest Suse, Mandrake, and Red Hat for a beginner like me. But I do not have access to Suse. Can you give me a suggestion on which version of Red Hat or Mandrake will be good?? These are the versions that are available in my school:

Red Hat 6.2, 7.0, 7.1
Mandrake 7.1, 7.2

So which one should I install?? I heard tat Red Hat 7.0 is real buggy and crappy, so maybe I won't pick that. How about the other versions?? Which one--Red Hat or Mandrake??

Thanks so much!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
I've heard Mandrake is better (I haven't gotten around to installing it yet), and 8.0 is supposed to have several improvements over other versions.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Mandrake or SuSe are some of the easiest to start with. Redhat isn't all that buggy.

I would use Mandrake 7.2.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

G

RedHat 7.1 is the most recent distribution that you list, and has been reported to have good stability. See Linux Format this month(issue 16) for a comparision between RedHat 7.1 and Mandrake 8.0. My favourite is SuSE, but all 3 distros is good and will satisfy your needs.

jostber@frisurf.no

G

No luck finding Linux Format online?
You have a working addy?

Linuxuser

G

Their website is at:

www.linuxformat.co.uk

jostber@frisurf.no