Sign in with
Your question

Help Needed For Building A Pentium D 920 Rig

Last response: in CPUs
February 17, 2006 6:38:35 PM

I want to build a Pentium D 920 Computer and I would like to use Intel's D945GNTL for the motherboard. However, there are some problems:

1. Intel's Pentium D 9xx lists the D945GNTL as being a compatable motherboard but the tech support page for the D945GNTL itself lists only the 8xx series, not the 9xx series. (In comparison, the D945GTPL lists both 8xx and 9xx series, as well as the BIOS revisions needed to support them.) I believe that this board does indeed support the CPU but I haven't been able to confirm it. Can anyone do so?

2. Is there a way to tell, on a brand new boxed Intel motherboard, what BIOS revision that the board has? I ask because I when I eventually receive my order, I will only have the motherboard and the CPU, which means I won't know unless I am willing to risk booting the CPU. Would trying to boot a D945G motherboard with P4 D 9xx CPU damage it if the BIOS wasn't new enough?

3. Lastly, the Pentium D 9xx webpages mention a new, 4 pin fan. Does Intel's motherboards support this?

Thanks for reading this long winded post.

EDIT:

List of Supported CPUs for the D945GNT
List of Supported CPUs for the D945GTP
February 17, 2006 7:26:51 PM

From what I know If your motherboard does not have Intel 975x- (even 955x ) chip you need to flash your BIOS in 9xx series. But ultimately it depends on individual brands to include that or not.

February 18, 2006 5:35:15 AM

I'd personally go with the chips page just due to the fact it's probably newer then the chipset page. But again its kinda luck of the draw without knowing for sure... :-/
Related resources
!