Opteron vs. Everything benchmarks?

adamwidowpc

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Does anyone know of an all-in-one series of benchmarks THAT INCLUDE THE OPTERON? I know Tom's has great benchmarks that have all non-server processors on them, but I never saw how PC processors compare to server processors. Somebody point me in the right direction?

Adam
WidowPC
www.widowpc.com

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I tried to find one cuz I am really interested in seeing the results but hardly there is one out there comparing Opteron to Desktop CPU's. This is simply because they are not under the same group and you need much more extensive benchmarks to test server CPUs against desktop ones. The same way, you rarely find workstation graphics card or mobo against desktop versions.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
1 reason is the fact that there are very limited numbers of SLI Opty Workstation boards, or one's with even 1 PCI-E slot. The fact that Opties use ECC Memory (in my experience, disabling ECC on Opties has decreased performance) also means a small loss in performance, and trying to find high-performance RAM in Opties isn't as abundant as Desktops. From the experience I've had with all the Opties I've built and used, their performance on CPU only has been superior to desktops, and using SLI (on the 1 board I have) the performance beats desktops SLI by a small margin. And the fact that most people won't drop $2000+ for a Dual Opty setup w/ a $450 SLI mobo and have to spend extra for ECC RAM (1 friend of mine did, he loves his 2.4GHz Opties, heh).

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time