All-in-one that copies with no PC??

I have an older, technophobic relative who does NOT own a PC and
doesn't want one. One of the greater annoyances in her life is having
to make frequent trips out to make one or two copies of documents she's
mailing, or to go to the camera store to get a copy or two of a photo
print she wants to send out. So I figure a great Christmas present
might be an inexpensive copy machine. Ideally, it would be a flatbed
copier, be relatively easy to set up and operate, and offer easy
swapping out of ink cartridges. It would also ideally allow black and
white copies (to save on color ink), draft quality copies (to save on
black ink) and color copies on photo paper, all of which can be
selected from buttons on the front WITHOUT using a PC.

Are there all-in-ones that anyone has used that can do this and don't
need a PC to set up? The $90-100 HP 1315 says it can *copy* without a
PC, and it's a flatbed, but do you need a PC to set it up, or can you
really just use it as an inexpensive standalone copier? Can you select
the print quality from the unit's front panel? Are there any other
all-in-ones or reasonably priced home copy machines that do these
things well?
4 answers Last reply
More about copies

    In article <1102438750.057422.57450@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    mailorderspam@yahoo.com says...
    > I have an older, technophobic relative who does NOT own a PC and
    > doesn't want one. One of the greater annoyances in her life is having
    > to make frequent trips out to make one or two copies of documents she's
    > mailing, or to go to the camera store to get a copy or two of a photo
    > print she wants to send out. So I figure a great Christmas present
    > might be an inexpensive copy machine. Ideally, it would be a flatbed
    > copier, be relatively easy to set up and operate, and offer easy
    > swapping out of ink cartridges. It would also ideally allow black and
    > white copies (to save on color ink), draft quality copies (to save on
    > black ink) and color copies on photo paper, all of which can be
    > selected from buttons on the front WITHOUT using a PC.
    >
    > Are there all-in-ones that anyone has used that can do this and don't
    > need a PC to set up? The $90-100 HP 1315 says it can *copy* without a
    > PC, and it's a flatbed, but do you need a PC to set it up, or can you
    > really just use it as an inexpensive standalone copier? Can you select
    > the print quality from the unit's front panel? Are there any other
    > all-in-ones or reasonably priced home copy machines that do these
    > things well?

    I have an HP PSC2410. It can do many things on it's own. It has a
    small LCD screen to help set it up, and is used with previewing pictures
    from memory cards. You can do copies (B&W or Color), faxes, print
    pictures from memory cards, all without a computer. Some other HP models
    without the LCD can print out thumbnails from a memory card, then you
    fill in ovals and have it scan the printout back in. It uses that to
    choose which photos to print.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

    <mailorderspam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have an older, technophobic relative who does NOT own a PC and
    > doesn't want one. One of the greater annoyances in her life is having
    > to make frequent trips out to make one or two copies of documents she's
    > mailing, or to go to the camera store to get a copy or two of a photo
    > print she wants to send out. So I figure a great Christmas present
    > might be an inexpensive copy machine. Ideally, it would be a flatbed
    > copier, be relatively easy to set up and operate, and offer easy
    > swapping out of ink cartridges. It would also ideally allow black and
    > white copies (to save on color ink), draft quality copies (to save on
    > black ink) and color copies on photo paper, all of which can be
    > selected from buttons on the front WITHOUT using a PC.
    >
    > Are there all-in-ones that anyone has used that can do this and don't
    > need a PC to set up? The $90-100 HP 1315 says it can *copy* without a
    > PC, and it's a flatbed, but do you need a PC to set it up, or can you
    > really just use it as an inexpensive standalone copier? Can you select
    > the print quality from the unit's front panel? Are there any other
    > all-in-ones or reasonably priced home copy machines that do these
    > things well?

    The PSC 1300 series units allow copying in either color or B&W, selecting the
    paper type (photo or plain paper), number of copies (up to 9 copies) and size
    (either 100% or zoomed) from dedicated front panel buttons. Draft copies in
    either color or B&W may be made by pressing "scan" and "start copy" buttons on
    the unit. It is not necessary to connect the unit to a PC to set it up. You
    can find a manual at: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00141855.pdf.

    Regards,

    <mailorderspam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have an older, technophobic relative who does NOT own a PC and
    > doesn't want one. One of the greater annoyances in her life is having
    > to make frequent trips out to make one or two copies of documents she's
    > mailing, or to go to the camera store to get a copy or two of a photo
    > print she wants to send out. So I figure a great Christmas present
    > might be an inexpensive copy machine. Ideally, it would be a flatbed
    > copier, be relatively easy to set up and operate, and offer easy
    > swapping out of ink cartridges. It would also ideally allow black and
    > white copies (to save on color ink), draft quality copies (to save on
    > black ink) and color copies on photo paper, all of which can be
    > selected from buttons on the front WITHOUT using a PC.
    >
    > Are there all-in-ones that anyone has used that can do this and don't
    > need a PC to set up? The $90-100 HP 1315 says it can *copy* without a
    > PC, and it's a flatbed, but do you need a PC to set it up, or can you
    > really just use it as an inexpensive standalone copier? Can you select
    > the print quality from the unit's front panel? Are there any other
    > all-in-ones or reasonably priced home copy machines that do these
    > things well?

    I have an HP PSC 2510 and it can copy/fax without a PC hooked up.
    You can set it up with the LCD screen that's built into the unit. I don't
    know how "reasonably" priced it is but I really like mine and have had
    no problems with it.

    Derrick

    I have seen these in use not connected to any PC, so I assume it can be
    used as such, and probably set up without one either. I believe the HP
    models have all basic functions, including basic set up and calibration
    available without a PC.

    Probably the same for other brands, but don't quote me ;-)

    Art

    mailorderspam@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I have an older, technophobic relative who does NOT own a PC and
    > doesn't want one. One of the greater annoyances in her life is having
    > to make frequent trips out to make one or two copies of documents she's
    > mailing, or to go to the camera store to get a copy or two of a photo
    > print she wants to send out. So I figure a great Christmas present
    > might be an inexpensive copy machine. Ideally, it would be a flatbed
    > copier, be relatively easy to set up and operate, and offer easy
    > swapping out of ink cartridges. It would also ideally allow black and
    > white copies (to save on color ink), draft quality copies (to save on
    > black ink) and color copies on photo paper, all of which can be
    > selected from buttons on the front WITHOUT using a PC.
    >
    > Are there all-in-ones that anyone has used that can do this and don't
    > need a PC to set up? The $90-100 HP 1315 says it can *copy* without a
    > PC, and it's a flatbed, but do you need a PC to set it up, or can you
    > really just use it as an inexpensive standalone copier? Can you select
    > the print quality from the unit's front panel? Are there any other
    > all-in-ones or reasonably priced home copy machines that do these
    > things well?

Printers Peripherals Product