NEED HELP TO SETUP A NETOPIA R910 VPN

Hello everybody:
I need some help setting up a Netopia R910 to do VPN and also setup a
FTP if possible, I also LOG on to a friend of mind FTP and he uses
30021 and "No Passive Mode" and I need to find a way to forward hes
signal to my machine to be able to display the "List of hes
directory".
I use to have a Linksys Router and I change it to the Netopia R910 for
the VPN purposes to get in the Office Network.
Please advise to tell me what I can do to setup my Router.
Thanks for all your help.
Pedro Ayala
3 answers Last reply
More about need setup netopia r910

    Eltoro2000 wrote:
    > Hello everybody:
    > I need some help setting up a Netopia R910 to do VPN and also setup a
    > FTP if possible, I also LOG on to a friend of mind FTP and he uses
    > 30021 and "No Passive Mode" and I need to find a way to forward hes
    > signal to my machine to be able to display the "List of hes
    > directory".
    > I use to have a Linksys Router and I change it to the Netopia R910 for
    > the VPN purposes to get in the Office Network.
    > Please advise to tell me what I can do to setup my Router.
    > Thanks for all your help.
    > Pedro Ayala

    To setup your router you need to telnet to the routers gateway address.

    There are many examples of VPN configurations on the Netopia website in
    the support area under technotes.

    Beyond that, you haven't actually asked any usefull questions. Perhaps
    you have something specific that is giving you troubles?

    --
    WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
    Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

    Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTED EMAIL <mike-newsgroup@-DELETETHISPART-.upcraft.com> wrote in message news:<LX%ed.3287819$ic1.335836@news.easynews.com>...
    > Eltoro2000 wrote:
    > > Hello everybody:
    > > I need some help setting up a Netopia R910 to do VPN and also setup a
    > > FTP if possible, I also LOG on to a friend of mind FTP and he uses
    > > 30021 and "No Passive Mode" and I need to find a way to forward hes
    > > signal to my machine to be able to display the "List of hes
    > > directory".
    > > I use to have a Linksys Router and I change it to the Netopia R910 for
    > > the VPN purposes to get in the Office Network.
    > > Please advise to tell me what I can do to setup my Router.
    > > Thanks for all your help.
    > > Pedro Ayala
    >
    > To setup your router you need to telnet to the routers gateway address.
    >
    > There are many examples of VPN configurations on the Netopia website in
    > the support area under technotes.
    >
    > Beyond that, you haven't actually asked any usefull questions. Perhaps
    > you have something specific that is giving you troubles?

    Thank you for your help, one more question to see if you can lead me
    to the
    rigth
    answer.

    When I log in on a friends Server with my FTP Client FlashFXP, I have
    have this settings on it "Blind Sockets to this adress:" and check the
    box and put my IP: from the Router like 4.26.173.190 did it comes from
    my ADSL provider. If I don't have that my machine never display the
    List from hes
    Server.

    On the Linksys Router all I have to do is open my machine on the IP
    expose
    to the Internet and it work.

    Can I do something with the Netopia to still get in on hes machine?

    Thanks for your help

    Pedro Ayala

    Eltoro2000 wrote:
    > Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTED EMAIL <mike-newsgroup@-DELETETHISPART-.upcraft.com> wrote in message news:<LX%ed.3287819$ic1.335836@news.easynews.com>...
    >
    >>Eltoro2000 wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello everybody:
    >>>I need some help setting up a Netopia R910 to do VPN and also setup a
    >>>FTP if possible, I also LOG on to a friend of mind FTP and he uses
    >>>30021 and "No Passive Mode" and I need to find a way to forward hes
    >>>signal to my machine to be able to display the "List of hes
    >>>directory".
    >>>I use to have a Linksys Router and I change it to the Netopia R910 for
    >>>the VPN purposes to get in the Office Network.
    >>>Please advise to tell me what I can do to setup my Router.
    >>>Thanks for all your help.
    >>>Pedro Ayala
    >>
    >>To setup your router you need to telnet to the routers gateway address.
    >>
    >>There are many examples of VPN configurations on the Netopia website in
    >>the support area under technotes.
    >>
    >>Beyond that, you haven't actually asked any usefull questions. Perhaps
    >>you have something specific that is giving you troubles?
    >

    > Thank you for your help, one more question to see if you can lead me
    > to the
    > rigth
    > answer.
    >
    > When I log in on a friends Server with my FTP Client FlashFXP, I have
    > have this settings on it "Blind Sockets to this adress:" and check the
    > box and put my IP: from the Router like 4.26.173.190 did it comes from
    > my ADSL provider. If I don't have that my machine never display the
    > List from hes
    > Server.
    >
    > On the Linksys Router all I have to do is open my machine on the IP
    > expose
    > to the Internet and it work.
    >
    > Can I do something with the Netopia to still get in on hes machine?
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Pedro Ayala

    You can go into System Configuration - Network Address Translation -
    Change/Show Server lists. The default settings creates a list called
    "Easy-Servers" that you can use to forward ports to the computer inside
    your network. You will need to know what ports are required for your
    application, you should be able to find that kind of information in the
    documentation for your program.

    The Netopia works without any configuration changes if your friend used
    the standard port for FTP (21). The FTP protocol is very strange and
    requires some manipulation by the router to work transparently. It can
    only detect that an FTP session is being attempted when the FTP server
    is using the standard port number. When it is using a non-standard port
    number like 30021 it will not automatically forward the incoming
    connection to the internal PC. You will need to set this up with manual
    port forwarding. There is an advanced feature called Statefull
    Inspection in newer models of the router that can help setup automatic
    port forwarding only after the outbound connection is made. You will
    find that feature on the Netopia 3300-ENT series. The model that
    replaces the R910 is the 3386-ENT. I think they still sell the R910 but
    the 3386 is faster and cheaper than the old model.

    --
    WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
    Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

vpn Routers FTP Networking