Sign in with
Your question

Can you run 4 monitors off of a dual pci-e sli setup?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 17, 2006 9:54:06 PM

I know it's a noob question, but I'm curious as to whether or not you can.
February 17, 2006 10:53:38 PM

My 7800GT supports Dual DVI - two LCD's.
Take the two monitors supported by one card, and add a second.
Its quite self explanitory...
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 18, 2006 12:07:20 AM

And you can actually do it with 2 ATi, Matrox, SiS or XGi cards too.

No support for SLi, but multi-monitor is supported.
Related resources
February 18, 2006 12:23:33 AM

yes but if you get a dual pci-e mobo dont turn on sli/crossfire of you do you will be only allowed to use 2 monitors
Anonymous
February 18, 2006 12:24:41 AM

I emailed XFX technical support with a similar question and based on their response I think the answer is yes and no.

Yes, you can run four monitors if your graphics cards have the appropriate video outs.

No, you cannot run four monitors in SLI mode. It is my understanding that SLI mode suppports only one monitor, so to have four monitors working you would have to disable SLI mode.
Anonymous
February 18, 2006 2:59:59 AM

To look at some incredible multi-monitor setups check out this web-site:

http://www.digitaltigers.com/index.shtm

Also, be sure that the video cards that you plan to use will suppot the monitors that you want to use at their native resolution. This isn't really a problem until you start getting into the really large wide screen models.
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2006 4:13:02 AM

Yes, I've run four monitors from two ATI cards on an SLI board.
February 19, 2006 2:15:17 PM

Quote:

**BLINK*** ????? Unless your A) Good beyond imagination with a soldering iron. B) write your own Crossfire drivers and C) from an alternate universe where you can run a dual ATI setup on an SLI platform.

I dont think that's happening... I may have misread you post. I'm on 2 hours of sleep right now. Correct me if I am wrong.

Technically you COULD do such as thing, however the technicals I dont want to get into.
February 19, 2006 5:09:34 PM

Quote:
To look at some incredible multi-monitor setups check out this web-site:

http://www.digitaltigers.com/index.shtm

Also, be sure that the video cards that you plan to use will suppot the monitors that you want to use at their native resolution. This isn't really a problem until you start getting into the really large wide screen models.

That 8-screen Atlas is sick, just sick. I would love to work on those.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2006 10:56:44 PM

Quote:

...I dont think that's happening... I may have misread you post. I'm on 2 hours of sleep right now. Correct me if I am wrong.

Technically you COULD do such as thing, however the technicals I dont want to get into.

I think it's the sleep and misreading that got you. He didn't say Xfire on SLi, but just 2 ATi cards (for multi-monitor) on an SLi board. Heck Lars/Borsti ran 1ATi+1nV in an SLi board in one of his reviews here.

As for Xfire on an SLi board, it's possible, but it's a question of hacking the driver and mobo bios. The rest is easy (no ned for soldering).

The problem is that the people with enough knowledge to be able to do it well (heck SLi and Xfire are buggy in their retail form!), work for the people who don't want you to do it at all.
February 21, 2014 7:43:10 PM

raven_87 said:
My 7800GT supports Dual DVI - two LCD's.
Take the two monitors supported by one card, and add a second.
Its quite self explanitory...

this is the KING of all necro's, and im sure you already know this.. but WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!

(sorry, every time i read misinformation on the internet (read: very often) i have this uncontrollable urge to point it out. I consider it my one good deed for the day)
!