Older Windows XP not recognizing drive size

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I had an issue where Windows XP did not recognize my 250 GB HD (WD 2500KS) as a full 250 GB HD untill after I instealled the Nforce drivers. Is this only a problem with older XP installs (It was a no SP install)? Or an issue with SATA II that I would encounter every time?

I need to find something to grow the drive, any recomended utilities?

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Install SP2. Windows XP when first shipped didnt support SATA drives (it might have only been the large ones that werent supported.) but i know that installing SP2 will fix the problem.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I would guess the problem is with the older version of XP. Microsoft seems to have solved a lot of hardware problems with their updates. Generally if there is a hardware or software problems, the FAQ always says to make sure your running the latest version of Windows and drivers.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Install SP2. Windows XP when first shipped didnt support SATA drives (it might have only been the large ones that werent supported.) but i know that installing SP2 will fix the problem.
Driver fixed it, and then I installed SP2 (I had thought it was an SP2 install initaly).

Obviously the more important issue is how to get the other 108GB onto the main partition.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Driver fixed it, and then I installed SP2 (I had thought it was an SP2 install initaly).

Obviously the more important issue is how to get the other 108GB onto the main partition.

Are you saying the machine is now reading the full 250GB but a 108GB is on a second partition? If so, not sure why this would be a problem. Always best to put files on a different partition than the OS and programs, less likely to lose them if the OS heads south.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001

Are you saying the machine is now reading the full 250GB but a 108GB is on a second partition? If so, not sure why this would be a problem. Always best to put files on a different partition than the OS and programs, less likely to lose them if the OS heads south.Well, 108 is unpartitioned, but basicly yes.

Yeah, I guess I could keep it seperate, but I've enjoyed the convenience of having everything on one drive.

I may have to rebuild anyway, hoping to have an SP2 install disk when I do that.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I really encourage people to partition their hard drive to protect their data. Usually 25 to 30GB for the C drive is more than enough for the OS and programs with plenty of room left over and put the rest on the second partition, usually D. If you ever have to format your C drive to re-install the OS, the data on the 2nd drive won't be affected. Plus if you ever have a major crash, you don't have to figure out how to save data. Saving data is just saving it to a folder on the D drive, which is really no more trouble than saving it to one on your C drive. There's a progam called Power Desk 6 I've been using for years, started using it when it was version 3 or 4. It's like Windows Explorer but you can have 2 panes, e.g., one for the C drive and one for the D or one pane for one folder and the 2nd for another, which makes it really easy to manage files. If you have a network can use one pane for one computer and the second for anther, which makes it really easy to copy files from one machine to another. If you're interested, check the link below. Also, unless your using a program like Partition Magic, I'd be really hesitant to format that 108GB because I supposed you could wipe out your C drive. I use Partition Magic so I really don't know much about partitioning and formating using Windows. I guess I just don't trust Windows not to screw something up.

http://www.v-com.com/product/PowerDesk_Pro_Home.html