help please HDD problem

tidyshow

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
hi all, i just formatted my pc and re-installed windows, nothing funny there you may think,
well that was until i tried to access my 2nd HDD, it appears in device manager but not in my computer,
partition magic v8.1 can find it too but not access it, any ideas on what is wrong and how to resolve this issue.
thanks in advance for any and all help given.

ps, i am a complete moron as far as pc's go and only know the basics so please excuse my ignorance.

godofwar

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
r u using a SATA HD or a PATA? if you're using a PATA, just try to check it's jumper settings on the HD. maybe u have a double primary master. or you could try to change your IDE Cables.

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
r u using a SATA HD or a PATA? if you're using a PATA, just try to check it's jumper settings on the HD. maybe u have a double primary master. or you could try to change your IDE Cables.

In additon to this make sure that there is a partition on that 2nd hdd that will make it show up in windows but you also need to format it to use it disk mng. or partiton magic can do this, but this is most likely only a prob if it is a new hdd that has never been used before. I should also mention bc you say you dont know much, that with SATA there is no master/slave jummper setting needed even if there is a jumper on the hdd.

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Right click my computer, select 'manage'. Click on 'disk management'. Choose your drive, should be Disk1. Choose format or drive letter.

tidyshow

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
it was a partition problem, and partition magic couldn't help, so i just had to format it.
but before i did, i downloaded a prog called file scavenger, it allowed me to
rescue my files before i formatted the HDD.
thanks anyway folks

tidyshow

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
now my main HDD is dying lol, it keeps clicking and stopping, also some windows features have gone,
things like all the pre-installed games etc.
it is a normal HDD with jumper settings on it, its the third one in just over a year
as the rest have done the same then died.
the HDD is a WDC WD1200BB-00DWA0
does anyone know if this fault is common with them as its getting really annoying now