update Windows XP home service pack 2 problem

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

After updating with Windows home service pack 2, every
time I start up the computer, My Documents is open on the
screen. Any advice?

Hi,

Try this: Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, uncheck the line "restore
previous folder windows at logon". Click apply/ok, do not reboot yet.

Start/run msconfig, on the general tab select the diagnostic mode. Click
apply/ok and reboot at prompted.

The folder should not show up now. Rerun msconfig, put the system back in
normal mode. Click apply/ok and reboot once more. Does this help?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Steve" <blempo@aol.com> wrote in message
> After updating with Windows home service pack 2, every
> time I start up the computer, My Documents is open on the
> screen. Any advice?

Restore previous folder windows at logon was already
unchecked. Any other ideas.

Put a check in it, reboot, then follow the original steps.

--

> [...]

gave, but there was no change. My Documents still opens
at start up.

Hi,

Ok, please post the contents of these registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

To do this, start/run regedit, expand the branches to each key (do this one
at a time). Click on the key, then on file/export. Give it any name, then
save to the desktop. Once you have saved all the keys, close the registry
editor. Right-click one of the saved files on the desktop, choose edit, it
should open in notepad. Click edit/select all/edit/copy. Open a response to
this post and click in the message text area. Hit ctrl+v to paste the
contents. Repeat for the other saved keys, then send the post for
examination.

--

> [...]

ion\Run
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
on\Run
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

>To do this, start/run regedit, expand the branches to
each key (do this one
>at a time). Click on the key, then on file/export. Give
it any name, then
>save to the desktop. Once you have saved all the keys,
close the registry
>editor. Right-click one of the saved files on the
desktop, choose edit, it
>should open in notepad. Click edit/select all/edit/copy.
Open a response to
>this post and click in the message text area. Hit ctrl+v
to paste the
>contents. Repeat for the other saved keys, then send the
post for
>examination.
>
>--
>Best of Luck,
>
>Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
>www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
><blempo@aol.com> wrote in message

It didn't work. I could only manage to get one of the
registry keys pasted in the message at a time. Then when
I clicked "send" it wouldn't send. Possibly it is too
much data to send.

>.

Hi,

Send them to me via email as attachments, change the subject line to "per
req". The email address used here is valid.