ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I wonder why they didn't use PD-SOI for the AM2 line? That 2.6GHz Opteron runs really cool with it at 95W, while the FX-62 still uses the old process requiring AMD to increase the TDP to 125W. Usually new technology is introduced in the consumer market first, and only into the server market when it's fully validated and stable. This time AMD is doing it the other way around. I guess PD-SOI may be more expensive or the yields too low right now to launch it in the mainstream desktop market.

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I wonder why they didn't use PD-SOI for the AM2 line? That 2.6GHz Opteron runs really cool with it at 95W, while the FX-62 still uses the old process requiring AMD to increase the TDP to 125W. Usually new technology is introduced in the consumer market first, and only into the server market when it's fully validated and stable. This time AMD is doing it the other way around. I guess PD-SOI may be more expensive or the yields too low right now to launch it in the mainstream desktop market.
Who knows, but have you seen how hot a data center can get??
It makes sense to me, since they're profitting more from the server segment since server processors ar more expensive than desktop ones. :wink: