AMD PowerNow! Utility???

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Hey wonder if anyone knows anything about this.

I was running some pretty cpu intensive programs on my newly built AMD 3800+ X2 with 1GB Ram on ECS K8T890A.

Anyways, both Cores were pegged at 100% for many hours.

I opened up windows taskmanager and was watching which processes were causing the biggest load and I happened to see that two processes looked different from my old K6 rig.

GemServ.exe
gemback.exe

the gemback.exe was generating 50% of the load. After talking about this with a friend they said they googled it and it has something to do with a AMD PowerNow! Utility.

The thing that's weird is that the programs generating the load were stopped but the gemback.exe was still using 50% of the processor.

I tried to stop them and it wouldn't let me do it. I then decided to reboot and then it dropped back down to 0.

So I wonder if anyone knows the purpose of this PowerNow! thing and why it does this.

Machine is 100% stable even at 100% load for more than 8hrs or so... just wonder why this PowerNow thing is taxing the proc so much???

TIA

obobski

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
it appears to be cool'n'quiet

which you can disable

why it's using 50% i haven't the slighest idea, try running with CPU-Z open during one of these long taxing sessions, see how the CPU clock changes around if this process is eating up a ton of resources

i'd say worst case
just disable Cool'nQuiet, it should kill the process, but idk that that really answers your question, just gets rid of it

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
it appears to be cool'n'quiet

which you can disable

why it's using 50% i haven't the slighest idea, try running with CPU-Z open during one of these long taxing sessions, see how the CPU clock changes around if this process is eating up a ton of resources

i'd say worst case
just disable Cool'nQuiet, it should kill the process, but idk that that really answers your question, just gets rid of it

Ok yeah that's what I was thinking... sorry for my ignorance but what is CPU-Z

thanks. :)