Sign in with
Your question

Built new system.. BSOD every boot

Last response: in Systems
February 18, 2006 2:03:17 AM

I just built a system for a friend of mine. The system consists of a Sempron 3300+, 512MB DDR400, Gigabyte GA-K8U motherboard, and some type of GeForce vid card (I can't remember the model). The system appears stable, CPU temp is around 28 C. I installed windows without any issues, until it rebooted and attempted to load windows for the first time. Every single time the windows XP boot screen loads, it is only diplayed for a fraction of a second, barely enough time for the XP logo to flash on the screen, and then I get a BSOD and the system reboots. This happens every single time and I have never been able to get into windows. I put the HD in my computer and XP loads fine. I tried my HD in his computer and the exact same thing happens. I have been over and over the computer and as far as I can tell there are absolutely no problems with the hardware. My friend spent his hard earned money on this computer and it is really upsetting to me that I can't get it to work. I am not new to computer building; this is my 7th or 8th system, though I have been away from the hardware scene and haven't built a system since I built my current PC about 2 1/2 years ago. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

More about : built system bsod boot

February 18, 2006 2:20:16 AM

Unplug everything that is not needed to boot and see if it will boot. If it boots start plugging stuff in till it won't boot anymore and you found your problem.

Try a safemode boot?

Boot with Knoppix?

Trade other parts between systems?

Try another copy of XP?

Try another cd/dvd drive to load from?

Cone a drive from an identical system (if you can)?
February 18, 2006 2:29:36 AM

Tried safemode, tried other cd drives, don't think it's the copy of XP b/c it works when I swap the HD to my system. I hadn't heard of Knoppix, but that looks like a good idea; I'll give it a try, thanks.
Related resources
February 18, 2006 2:30:42 AM

Have you tried loading windows in safe mode?

Do you have just the basics installed? Or did you install a bunch of cards that still need drivers thinking windows is a smart OS?

It could be many different things... memory, bios settings the above and so on.

Tell us what's installed in the computer and be descriptive, just telling us it gives a bsod doesn't give us anything to go on.

Some other things to try is get into bios and reset it to default settings, disable whatever in there is not necessary to boot... IE USB/Onboard sound/ Onboard video if you have a vid card installed and so on.

If you have two sticks of ram installed try one stick at a time etc.

Trouble shoot it... you'll find it sherlock. :p 
February 18, 2006 2:40:32 AM

Only card installed is a vid card, tried fail safe bios settings and disabling onboard everything, only have 1 stick of ram installed. I'll get more specifics on the setup. I have done all the troubleshooting I can think of :cry: 
February 18, 2006 3:26:35 AM

same thing happend to me
go to bios and set cdrom boot. put windows disc and repair installation done.
shoudl work fine after
February 18, 2006 3:38:15 AM

90% of the time, BSOD is memory related. Try running a slot memory slot in single channel, or setting the memory settings VERY relaxed (3-3-3-10 timings, 2T, etc) and see what happens.
February 18, 2006 3:47:04 AM

Try running memtest from a floppy at boot and see if your memory is any good. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be bad memory.
February 18, 2006 4:50:46 AM

Yes, it's almost always bad memory. In the few cases it isn't, it's almost always a bad power supply.
February 18, 2006 1:05:35 PM

yeah it could be either of those and it could also be the vid card.

I went to gigabyte and noticed that this board supports only 1.5v display card only. So that might be something to check as well.
!