Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

help with upgrade

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Video
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 18, 2006 2:21:59 AM

Hi,

I have a computer which is used only for video surveillance. It processes about 8 video streams (from cameras) simultaneously. But it often gets stuck or delays the processing by few seconds. The CPU usage in Task Manager fluctuates between 85-100%.

The specs for this machine are:
Intel 845G motherboard
Celeron 2.4 Ghz
512 MB of memory DDR 333

Currently it uses onboard (Intel extreme) graphics.

Should I upgrade to a Pentium 4 processor or go for a discrete graphics card like Geforce fx 5200?

I figured that buying a seperate graphics card would reduce the load on the cpu and eliminate the lag I am experiencing.

Please let me know what is my best option here.


Thank you

More about : upgrade

February 18, 2006 2:50:36 AM

I would suggest getting a barebones Sempron system or a P4 3GHz+ w/ 1GB RAM (512MB if that program doesn't use alot of RAM). Your video card isn't going to take the load off your CPU for what you do.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
February 18, 2006 2:53:12 AM

to my knowledge video streams and the like are proccesor thing and arent really affected by graphics cards.

if i were in you position get a true P4 (not celeron) at say like 3.0ghz and put that in.

but this is just a guess so i would wait for some more opinions
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 18, 2006 3:40:02 AM

Multiple video streams will benefit from Pentium 4 hyperthreading. Socket 478, right? Put in a nice 3.0/3.2 prescott and perhaps add more ram to make sure you aren't using the pagefile and your problem could be solved. However, it could just be a software problem.
February 18, 2006 4:11:41 AM

Celeron processors are very weak, I would definately bet on that being the problem. I don't think a video card will help that much. Most of your lag is coming from the processor bottleneck. I would get the fastest p4 chip for my motherboard and add another 512 ram. Ideally if you could afford it, I would upgrade the mobo too and get the 820/830/840 series with at least 512mb ddr2 memory, preferably 1gig. The 800 series do quite well with video.
February 18, 2006 6:58:22 AM

thanks

I just checked the prices on Pentium 4's and Sempron 64's. I am on a limited budget so here are my options

Pentium (socket 478) 2.8 (BX80546PG2800E) or 3.0 (BX80546PG3000E) plus I would have to get a new motherboard as my current one only excepts processors with FSB up to 533 MHZ

OR

Sempron 64 3400+ (s754) and an IGP (VIA or nforce) motherboard

OR may be go for

Pentium 630 (s775) and a 915G motherboard

Any solution will have to run on integrated graphics. Which combination will be better for my situation?
February 18, 2006 10:41:27 AM

forget socket 478 if ur getting a new mobo. 478 is dead!

so its either intel with 775 or amd with 939, tho amd is due to
change sockets much sooner then intel, so my 2 cents would go
towards intel and 775.
February 18, 2006 11:45:20 AM

Sounds like you need a multitasking cpu like a dual core. Yeah get the 775 socket at an 820 cpu, add more ram 3x512Mb to make 2Gb and that should handle 8 video streams at the same time with no lag. As for the graphics card the 6800 should be good.
February 18, 2006 12:44:50 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you need a multitasking cpu like a dual core. Yeah get the 775 socket at an 820 cpu, add more ram 3x512Mb to make 2Gb and that should handle 8 video streams at the same time with no lag. As for the graphics card the 6800 should be good.

Remember the time the poster said he was on a budget?
February 18, 2006 2:19:34 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you need a multitasking cpu like a dual core. Yeah get the 775 socket at an 820 cpu, add more ram 3x512Mb to make 2Gb and that should handle 8 video streams at the same time with no lag. As for the graphics card the 6800 should be good.

Remember the time the poster said he was on a budget?

The 478 mobo with 2.8/3.0 WITH HYPERTHREADIN!! should be good. As for the graphics card, don't even think about going for that.
February 18, 2006 3:49:25 PM

If you go the new mobo route, I would definately go with the 600 series processor. I wouldn't recommend the Sempron for video capture. I love AMD and in most cases would recommend. But for your application I would not. Semprons are basically the Celeron equiv. in the AMDs all be it a little better than the Celeron. If you decide to go AMD I would get the Athlon 64 939 processor. Like the AMD 3200+ 939 Venice, you can get for around $169.00 from NewEgg. But in the price range you are looking at the best bet would be the 600 series. In that price range it has the best overall performance for video capture.
February 18, 2006 9:12:30 PM

he said he's on a budget, tard. just a new 3.0 prescott will do the job for under 200 bucks.
February 18, 2006 11:53:44 PM

Well "tard". He is the one who mentioned possibly getting a 600 series not me. I merely agreed that would be a good processor, so shove it.
February 19, 2006 4:44:02 AM

I think everyone is forgetting socket 754. Newegg has pros here. and Mobos with video. I would stick with an ATI or Nvidia chipset & stay away from the semprons. Whole deal $200-250.
February 19, 2006 6:04:46 PM

For multiple threads/programs, prescott hyperthreading would probably be best.
February 20, 2006 6:44:12 PM

thanks everyone

Here is another question. I have a friend who can let me have his Athlon XP system for 150.

It is
Athlon XP 3000+ (barton)
1 GB of DDR 333
Via motherboad with onboard graphics
160 GB Diamond Max 9 hard drive

Should I go for it and use it for a 1 year & few months? This will allow me to wait and save up for a Pentium 8xx or 9xx series. Since in the future I will add two more cameras (total 10 video streams), I could have a real fast system then.

Let me know what you guys think.

thanks again
February 20, 2006 6:56:19 PM

$150! that's quite a friend. that's a pretty good deal, considering otherwise youd have to spend that on a CPU alone. My only concern is that ddr333...but i think it will be capable of handling your work. you could always try overclocking since he has a barton, though.
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2006 1:46:42 AM

Quote:
thanks

I just checked the prices on Pentium 4's and Sempron 64's. I am on a limited budget so here are my options

Pentium (socket 478) 2.8 (BX80546PG2800E) or 3.0 (BX80546PG3000E) plus I would have to get a new motherboard as my current one only excepts processors with FSB up to 533 MHZ

OR

Sempron 64 3400+ (s754) and an IGP (VIA or nforce) motherboard

OR may be go for

Pentium 630 (s775) and a 915G motherboard

Any solution will have to run on integrated graphics. Which combination will be better for my situation?


First of all, if your board supports only 533 bus and lower processors, the two you listed WILL NOT WORK! The 2.8E and 3.0E are both 800MHz bus processors, which means they'd be underclocked if they could work, and both Prescotts. Prescotts WILL NOT WORK in older motherboards.
February 27, 2006 2:49:02 AM

OK, what works good for me is a P4 630. I'd say depending on your budget get 640/650 if possible. For motherboard, get the 915P chipset and put in a lowish end GeForce6 series, e.g a 6200TC would be excellent.
Or if you really must get integrated graphics for some unbeknown reason then get a LGA775 motherboard on the 915G chipset.

As for memory, 1GB (2x512MB) dual channel DDR400 would be ideal. Or DDR2, just for sanity's sake.

Do integrated graphics not run off the processor power and use the systems main memory? Cos its just that the last thing you want is the graphics to be hogging a bunch of your system resources. Read my siggy to know how I know this.
February 27, 2006 3:04:15 AM

Quote:
OK, what works good for me is a P4 630. I'd say depending on your budget get 640/650 if possible. For motherboard, get the 915P chipset and put in a lowish end GeForce6 series, e.g a 6200TC would be excellent.
Or if you really must get integrated graphics for some unbeknown reason then get a LGA775 motherboard on the 915G chipset.

As for memory, 1GB (2x512MB) dual channel DDR400 would be ideal. Or DDR2, just for sanity's sake.

Do integrated graphics not run off the processor power and use the systems main memory? Cos its just that the last thing you want is the graphics to be hogging a bunch of your system resources. Read my siggy to know how I know this.


I doubt that would be a problem. A cheap PCI card should do even if it is.
February 27, 2006 3:22:10 AM

I just wouldn't like it to be a problem in one of my systems.
And once again, do you really want to waste half/most of your PCI's bandwidth on your graphics subsystem, when you may want to be using it for something else, when you could just throw in a 6200TC PCI-E in for about $6 more than a crappy GF4 MX or radeon PCI card?
February 27, 2006 3:25:49 AM

Quote:
I just wouldn't like it to be a problem in one of my systems.
And once again, do you really want to waste half/most of your PCI's bandwidth on your graphics subsystem, when you may want to be using it for something else, when you could just throw in a 6200TC PCI-E in for about $6 more than a crappy GF4 MX or radeon PCI card?


I doubt he's using any PCI devices. Also, I don't think a new mobo with PCIE is a viable upgrade considering he is on a very strict budget, not to mention the 6200 itself..
February 27, 2006 3:44:32 AM

hmm you should be able to do that system for about $650-750, not extremely expensive.
!