elmano650

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
hey guys i just have a few questions. i am overclocking my p4 3.0 ghz prescot. i just wanted to know what the max temps for this core should be, also if you can recomend any programs to moniter the temp of the proc

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
What is your memory, board and cooling system?! If you are sitting in the room and feel a little bit hot, then stop overclocking.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Prescott's run hot to begin with and it gets worse when you overclock. However, they are very good overclockers even on stock core voltage. The temp problems quickly become much worse if you add voltage to the core, so my recommendation would be to get as far as you can on stock voltage unless you go with a strong cooling solution.

The temps under load will probably run up into the 60's. Temp measurement is notoriously inaccurate with the same chip registering widely different temps on different motherboards. So what I look at is determine if the chip begins throttling with a program called "Throttlewatch". These chips will begin to throttle if they get too hot. Obviously if you're throttling, your overclocking isn't doing any good for performance and you need to back it off or buy more cooling.

Motherboard monitor is a great piece of software if your board is based on one of the older chipsets. Unfortunately, it is not being maintained for the newer chipsets. Your motherboard manufacturer may offer temp monitoring software that will work.

eizyark

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
well the problem i hear about prescott's is that even though w/o OC the ideal temp is already reaching 40C and at overload like around 60-65C+ so how much more if OCed??i mean it won't be a problem OCing that proc, it's just a matter of "will my proc overheat so much that it will render it useless??"well u could always try water cooling/liqud solutions if u have the bucks..but if ur short on cash u could always try one of those kicka** HSF released by Zalman,Cooler Master,Ninja or the like..just remember, if u feel that somethings odd then lower down the fsb/frequency..and as much as possible don't increase d voltage to high,try to keep it at a minimum since that will really give u the extra heat..

good luck with ur OC!

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Allow me to shed some light on such a dark subject for AMD fans.

First of all, Prescott cores do not run hot. Throw that logic right out the window. Even with the stock cooler and with every prescott core machine i've ever put together, they run on average:

Stock speeds and stock cooling:
35-37C idle
48-52C under load

Using good cooling such as Zalman coolers:
29-31C idle
45-47C under load

My prescott which is currently running at 3.960Ghz idles at 34C and around 50C under load. That is clearly not hot by any means.

As long as any processor is put in a good environment and installed right, it will run the way its meant to be run. Heat Index for Intels is not an issue IMO.

http://photobucket.com/albums/f16/Luminaris/?action=view&current=PrescottOC3.jpg

eizyark

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
well that's what i was trying to say..grab a good aircooler like zalman,coolermaster,scythe or the like..and yes it does heat up pretty quick..not like i'm saying that amd doesn't heat up fast either..especially that athlon xp series,OMG!they heat up damn fast!i've used those xp series for like 2 years now before changing to amd64..well all i'm trying to say is that all procs need good cooling, that's all..and yeh i read the overheating problem of prescott somewhere here in THG can't remember where..

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You, my friend, are a rarity in the world of Prescott processors then... Every one I've put together have run significantly hotter than that!

TRENDING THREADS