Site to Site VPN with Watchguard X700

Hello All!

I am hoping you can clarify a point of confusion for me. If I want to
connect two sites, do I need two Watchguard X700's or just one?

Thanks!

Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I am hoping you can clarify a point of confusion for me. If I want to
> connect two sites, do I need two Watchguard X700's or just one?
>
> Thanks!

You will need two of something. If both sites are large enough for
X700's then yes, two X700s would be good. If there is a main site with
many users that requires the performance of an X700 and the other site
is very small you can have an X edge model there. If you are brave you
can even mix different vendors but your support options for problems
become more difficult. I currently have an X700 model setup with
Netopia 3386 units running in some people's homes with permanent VPN
connections that work fine together.

Watchguard has smaller models that are more appropriate for smaller
sites. You might want to look at their X edge models for smaller
offices. The X700 is for larger operations with many more than a single
site to site VPN link. You might even only need two X edge models if
both offices are smaller.

--
WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

Thanks, Mike

The small site is ~25 users. What do you suggest at that site?

"Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTED EMAIL"
<mike-newsgroup@-DELETETHISPART-.upcraft.com> wrote in message
> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> I am hoping you can clarify a point of confusion for me. If I want to
>> connect two sites, do I need two Watchguard X700's or just one?
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> You will need two of something. If both sites are large enough for X700's
> then yes, two X700s would be good. If there is a main site with many
> users that requires the performance of an X700 and the other site is very
> small you can have an X edge model there. If you are brave you can even
> mix different vendors but your support options for problems become more
> difficult. I currently have an X700 model setup with Netopia 3386 units
> running in some people's homes with permanent VPN connections that work
> fine together.
>
> Watchguard has smaller models that are more appropriate for smaller sites.
> You might want to look at their X edge models for smaller offices. The
> X700 is for larger operations with many more than a single site to site
> VPN link. You might even only need two X edge models if both offices are
> smaller.
>

> --
> WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
> Please remove the -deletethispart-. section before replying directly.
> Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTED EMAIL <mike-newsgroup@-DELETETHISPART-.upcraft.com> wrote in message news:<6cGfd.3410411$ic1.347644@news.easynews.com>...
> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > Hello All!
> >
> > I am hoping you can clarify a point of confusion for me. If I want to
> > connect two sites, do I need two Watchguard X700's or just one?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> You will need two of something. If both sites are large enough for
> X700's then yes, two X700s would be good. If there is a main site with
> many users that requires the performance of an X700 and the other site
> is very small you can have an X edge model there. If you are brave you
> can even mix different vendors but your support options for problems
> become more difficult. I currently have an X700 model setup with
> Netopia 3386 units running in some people's homes with permanent VPN
> connections that work fine together.
>
> Watchguard has smaller models that are more appropriate for smaller
> sites. You might want to look at their X edge models for smaller
> offices. The X700 is for larger operations with many more than a single
> site to site VPN link. You might even only need two X edge models if
> both offices are smaller.

Mike:

Another question...

We have two sites -- 1 with ~50 users and the other with ~25. Would two X50's work?

Thank you,

Jonathan

Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Thanks, Mike
>
> The small site is ~25 users. What do you suggest at that site?
>
> "Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTED EMAIL"
> <mike-newsgroup@-DELETETHISPART-.upcraft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>>
>>>Hello All!
>>>
>>>I am hoping you can clarify a point of confusion for me. If I want to
>>>connect two sites, do I need two Watchguard X700's or just one?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>
>>You will need two of something. If both sites are large enough for X700's
>>then yes, two X700s would be good. If there is a main site with many
>>users that requires the performance of an X700 and the other site is very
>>small you can have an X edge model there. If you are brave you can even
>>mix different vendors but your support options for problems become more
>>difficult. I currently have an X700 model setup with Netopia 3386 units
>>running in some people's homes with permanent VPN connections that work
>>fine together.
>>
>>Watchguard has smaller models that are more appropriate for smaller sites.
>>You might want to look at their X edge models for smaller offices. The
>>X700 is for larger operations with many more than a single site to site
>>VPN link. You might even only need two X edge models if both offices are
>>smaller.
>>

>>--
>>WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
>>Please remove the -deletethispart-. section before replying directly.
>>Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

Firebox X15 or X50 seems to fit. X15 if you expect no growth in users.
X50 if you expect moderate growth. Go up to an X500 if you expect
radical growth (quadruple in size within 2 years).

--

Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTED EMAIL <mike-newsgroup@-DELETETHISPART-.upcraft.com> wrote in message news:<6cGfd.3410411$ic1.347644@news.easynews.com>...
>
>>Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>>
>>>Hello All!
>>>
>>>I am hoping you can clarify a point of confusion for me. If I want to
>>>connect two sites, do I need two Watchguard X700's or just one?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>
>>You will need two of something. If both sites are large enough for
>>X700's then yes, two X700s would be good. If there is a main site with
>>many users that requires the performance of an X700 and the other site
>>is very small you can have an X edge model there. If you are brave you
>>can even mix different vendors but your support options for problems
>>become more difficult. I currently have an X700 model setup with
>>Netopia 3386 units running in some people's homes with permanent VPN
>>connections that work fine together.
>>
>>Watchguard has smaller models that are more appropriate for smaller
>>sites. You might want to look at their X edge models for smaller
>>offices. The X700 is for larger operations with many more than a single
>>site to site VPN link. You might even only need two X edge models if
>>both offices are smaller.
>

> Mike:
>
> Another question...
>
> We have two sites -- 1 with ~50 users and the other with ~25. Would two X50's work?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Jonathan

Yes

--
WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

Thank you, sir