System File Checker

When I do a "sfc /scannow", windows prompts that I insert the Windows XP Pro
CD. I have the Home Edition installed on my pc. It also says that some dll
files need to be copied to my dll cache. I looked in the windows folder and
I don't think I have a dll cache.
6 answers Last reply
More about system file checker

    I've noticed this prompt when the i386 folder in the hard disk have been
    deleted (or not present). The SFC dialog will prompt you insert the XP
    Professional CD though you may have XP Home installed. Just ignore the
    dialog and insert your XP Home CD and complete the process.

    OTOH, if you have a OEM Restore CD (ex..Compaq, DELL PCs), nothing much can
    be done to selectively restore the core system files.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Window XP Shell/User

    "jennsg" <jennsg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    When I do a "sfc /scannow", windows prompts that I insert the Windows XP Pro
    CD. I have the Home Edition installed on my pc. It also says that some dll
    files need to be copied to my dll cache. I looked in the windows folder and
    I don't think I have a dll cache.

    I do have the XP upgrade. Is that good enough? By the way, thank for
    replying.

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > I've noticed this prompt when the i386 folder in the hard disk have been
    > deleted (or not present). The SFC dialog will prompt you insert the XP
    > Professional CD though you may have XP Home installed. Just ignore the
    > dialog and insert your XP Home CD and complete the process.
    >
    > OTOH, if you have a OEM Restore CD (ex..Compaq, DELL PCs), nothing much can
    > be done to selectively restore the core system files.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Window XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "jennsg" <jennsg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I do a "sfc /scannow", windows prompts that I insert the Windows XP Pro
    > CD. I have the Home Edition installed on my pc. It also says that some dll
    > files need to be copied to my dll cache. I looked in the windows folder and
    > I don't think I have a dll cache.

    Yes, that should be sufficient.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    >I do have the XP upgrade. Is that good enough? By the way, thank for
    > replying.
    >
    > "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> I've noticed this prompt when the i386 folder in the hard disk have been
    >> deleted (or not present). The SFC dialog will prompt you insert the XP
    >> Professional CD though you may have XP Home installed. Just ignore the
    >> dialog and insert your XP Home CD and complete the process.
    >>
    >> OTOH, if you have a OEM Restore CD (ex..Compaq, DELL PCs), nothing much
    >> can
    >> be done to selectively restore the core system files.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Window XP Shell/User
    >> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >>

    >> "jennsg" <jennsg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> When I do a "sfc /scannow", windows prompts that I insert the Windows XP
    >> Pro
    >> CD. I have the Home Edition installed on my pc. It also says that some
    >> dll
    >> files need to be copied to my dll cache. I looked in the windows folder
    >> and
    >> I don't think I have a dll cache.

    Thanks. I'll try it out.

    I'll be back to let you know what happened.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Yes, that should be sufficient.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "jennsg" <jennsg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I do have the XP upgrade. Is that good enough? By the way, thank for
    > > replying.
    > >
    > > "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I've noticed this prompt when the i386 folder in the hard disk have been
    > >> deleted (or not present). The SFC dialog will prompt you insert the XP
    > >> Professional CD though you may have XP Home installed. Just ignore the
    > >> dialog and insert your XP Home CD and complete the process.
    > >>
    > >> OTOH, if you have a OEM Restore CD (ex..Compaq, DELL PCs), nothing much
    > >> can
    > >> be done to selectively restore the core system files.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Window XP Shell/User
    > >> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    > >>

    > >> "jennsg" <jennsg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> When I do a "sfc /scannow", windows prompts that I insert the Windows XP
    > >> Pro
    > >> CD. I have the Home Edition installed on my pc. It also says that some
    > >> dll
    > >> files need to be copied to my dll cache. I looked in the windows folder
    > >> and
    > >> I don't think I have a dll cache.

    THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! You guys are sooooo the bestest in the
    westest. I've been e-mailing HP for the past days, and their suggestions
    didn't help. Thanks again.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Yes, that should be sufficient.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "jennsg" <jennsg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I do have the XP upgrade. Is that good enough? By the way, thank for
    > > replying.
    > >
    > > "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I've noticed this prompt when the i386 folder in the hard disk have been
    > >> deleted (or not present). The SFC dialog will prompt you insert the XP
    > >> Professional CD though you may have XP Home installed. Just ignore the
    > >> dialog and insert your XP Home CD and complete the process.
    > >>
    > >> OTOH, if you have a OEM Restore CD (ex..Compaq, DELL PCs), nothing much
    > >> can
    > >> be done to selectively restore the core system files.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Window XP Shell/User
    > >> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    > >>

    > >> "jennsg" <jennsg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> When I do a "sfc /scannow", windows prompts that I insert the Windows XP
    > >> Pro
    > >> CD. I have the Home Edition installed on my pc. It also says that some
    > >> dll
    > >> files need to be copied to my dll cache. I looked in the windows folder
    > >> and
    > >> I don't think I have a dll cache.

    You're welcome.

    --

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Yes, that should be sufficient.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "jennsg" <jennsg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I do have the XP upgrade. Is that good enough? By the way, thank for
    > > replying.
    > >
    > > "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

Cache System File DLL Windows XP