When I do a "sfc /scannow", windows prompts that I insert the Windows XP Pro
CD. I have the Home Edition installed on my pc. It also says that some dll
files need to be copied to my dll cache. I looked in the windows folder and
I don't think I have a dll cache.

I've noticed this prompt when the i386 folder in the hard disk have been
deleted (or not present). The SFC dialog will prompt you insert the XP
Professional CD though you may have XP Home installed. Just ignore the
dialog and insert your XP Home CD and complete the process.

OTOH, if you have a OEM Restore CD (ex..Compaq, DELL PCs), nothing much can
be done to selectively restore the core system files.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Window XP Shell/User

"jennsg" <jennsg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
When I do a "sfc /scannow", windows prompts that I insert the Windows XP Pro
CD. I have the Home Edition installed on my pc. It also says that some dll
files need to be copied to my dll cache. I looked in the windows folder and
I don't think I have a dll cache.

I do have the XP upgrade. Is that good enough? By the way, thank for
replying.

"Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

> I've noticed this prompt when the i386 folder in the hard disk have been
> deleted (or not present). The SFC dialog will prompt you insert the XP
> Professional CD though you may have XP Home installed. Just ignore the
> dialog and insert your XP Home CD and complete the process.
>
> OTOH, if you have a OEM Restore CD (ex..Compaq, DELL PCs), nothing much can
> be done to selectively restore the core system files.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Window XP Shell/User
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "jennsg" <jennsg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I do a "sfc /scannow", windows prompts that I insert the Windows XP Pro
> CD. I have the Home Edition installed on my pc. It also says that some dll
> files need to be copied to my dll cache. I looked in the windows folder and
> I don't think I have a dll cache.

Yes, that should be sufficient.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

>I do have the XP upgrade. Is that good enough? By the way, thank for
> replying.
>
> "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> I've noticed this prompt when the i386 folder in the hard disk have been
>> deleted (or not present). The SFC dialog will prompt you insert the XP
>> Professional CD though you may have XP Home installed. Just ignore the
>> dialog and insert your XP Home CD and complete the process.
>>
>> OTOH, if you have a OEM Restore CD (ex..Compaq, DELL PCs), nothing much
>> can
>> be done to selectively restore the core system files.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Window XP Shell/User
>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>>

>> "jennsg" <jennsg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> When I do a "sfc /scannow", windows prompts that I insert the Windows XP
>> Pro
>> CD. I have the Home Edition installed on my pc. It also says that some
>> dll
>> files need to be copied to my dll cache. I looked in the windows folder
>> and
>> I don't think I have a dll cache.

Thanks. I'll try it out.

I'll be back to let you know what happened.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Yes, that should be sufficient.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "jennsg" <jennsg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I do have the XP upgrade. Is that good enough? By the way, thank for
> > replying.
> >
> > "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> I've noticed this prompt when the i386 folder in the hard disk have been
> >> deleted (or not present). The SFC dialog will prompt you insert the XP
> >> Professional CD though you may have XP Home installed. Just ignore the
> >> dialog and insert your XP Home CD and complete the process.
> >>
> >> OTOH, if you have a OEM Restore CD (ex..Compaq, DELL PCs), nothing much
> >> can
> >> be done to selectively restore the core system files.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Window XP Shell/User
> >> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
> >>

> >> "jennsg" <jennsg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> When I do a "sfc /scannow", windows prompts that I insert the Windows XP
> >> Pro
> >> CD. I have the Home Edition installed on my pc. It also says that some
> >> dll
> >> files need to be copied to my dll cache. I looked in the windows folder
> >> and
> >> I don't think I have a dll cache.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! You guys are sooooo the bestest in the
westest. I've been e-mailing HP for the past days, and their suggestions
didn't help. Thanks again.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Yes, that should be sufficient.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "jennsg" <jennsg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I do have the XP upgrade. Is that good enough? By the way, thank for
> > replying.
> >
> > "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> I've noticed this prompt when the i386 folder in the hard disk have been
> >> deleted (or not present). The SFC dialog will prompt you insert the XP
> >> Professional CD though you may have XP Home installed. Just ignore the
> >> dialog and insert your XP Home CD and complete the process.
> >>
> >> OTOH, if you have a OEM Restore CD (ex..Compaq, DELL PCs), nothing much
> >> can
> >> be done to selectively restore the core system files.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Window XP Shell/User
> >> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
> >>

> >> "jennsg" <jennsg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> When I do a "sfc /scannow", windows prompts that I insert the Windows XP
> >> Pro
> >> CD. I have the Home Edition installed on my pc. It also says that some
> >> dll
> >> files need to be copied to my dll cache. I looked in the windows folder
> >> and
> >> I don't think I have a dll cache.

You're welcome.